Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 1,607 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am in the process of trying to find a living situation with equal drive times to Torrington and Wallingford for work. The obvious answer is Waterbury...but there is nothing worth renting there, and the property taxes and economy make me fearful to buy.

Our time frame of living here would be 2-3 years, might be more, but 2-3 years just to be safe. I know renting is the safer option, but we have a dog, want a washer and dryer, don't want to be in a curry filled apartment, and want some privacy.

Does anyone have some advice on a good midway point between Torrington and Wallingford for either buying or renting? Also, any insight on specific markets for buying and if 2-3 years is an absolutely bad idea.

I used a buy vs rent calculator and if I can get in and out of the home at the same sale price, or even a percent higher, it would still be better to buy from what I am calculating. That is including taxes, closing costs, etc.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 07:12 PM

708 posts, read 401,897 times
Towns that border Waterbury. Maybe the Oakville section of Watertown. More affordable rents and quick access to i84/Rt8. If you wanted to buy there taxes are about half of Waterbury's. Above average schools if kids are in play. If not, decent restaurants, bars and other adult entertainment are close by.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:34 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
You don’t indicate your budget, what type of community you want, if schools are important and what you expect for your budget. Without knowing the above I would recommend looking in Cheshire, Southington or Wolcott. Cheshire is a more affluent community with well performing schools. Southington is a more middle class suburb with a wide range of housing options. And Wolcott is a smaller quieter town. Your choice which would serve your needs best. Jay

Old 02-23-2019, 07:45 PM

3 posts, read 1,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You don’t indicate your budget, what type of community you want, if schools are important and what you expect for your budget. Without knowing the above I would recommend looking in Cheshire, Southington or Wolcott. Cheshire is a more affluent community with well performing schools. Southington is a more middle class suburb with a wide range of housing options. And Wolcott is a smaller quieter town. Your choice which would serve your needs best. Jay
Yes sorry, my budget is anywhere from $180k - $250k. I have $100k I can use as a down payment but would might put down less. Both excellent credit scores. No kids. Don't want to be around crime and don't want to be too much away from restaurants, gym, etc.

Basically my main goal is find an area where I won't have to worry about re sale as much. So even though we don't have kids, if the better school system areas have better re sale, then I would consider that.

We are going to an open house in Burlington tomorrow on the Farmington line, and also been looking in the North Bristol, Farmington area. I grew up in Wolcott and I'm trying to avoid being back there, place creeps me out.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:00 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph5940 View Post
Hello, I am in the process of trying to find a living situation with equal drive times to Torrington and Wallingford for work. The obvious answer is Waterbury...but there is nothing worth renting there, and the property taxes and economy make me fearful to buy.

Our time frame of living here would be 2-3 years, might be more, but 2-3 years just to be safe. I know renting is the safer option, but we have a dog, want a washer and dryer, don't want to be in a curry filled apartment, and want some privacy.

Does anyone have some advice on a good midway point between Torrington and Wallingford for either buying or renting? Also, any insight on specific markets for buying and if 2-3 years is an absolutely bad idea.

I used a buy vs rent calculator and if I can get in and out of the home at the same sale price, or even a percent higher, it would still be better to buy from what I am calculating. That is including taxes, closing costs, etc.

Thanks!

Rent before buying. I would look in Bristol. Lots of reasonable rents and plenty of shopping in town.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:06 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,488,793 times
I’m not sure the 2-3 time window works. A recession is likely in 2020 and the market would be in a down swing. If that falls right, the bottom will be right when you are trying to sell. Rent before buying. You’ll have to consider this reorganization change in school districts coming up, maybe, I don’t know. If you are in Farmington and they zone with Bristol, it might have some impact on pricing

2-3 years to be in a house and try to bank a profit or break even after a couple years in Ct doesn’t work. And even in the most up and coming areas it’s getting harder. Don’t count on your home as an investment. One roof repair and poof no more profit.

Old 02-23-2019, 08:12 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,024 times
With that budget, your options are somewhat limited, but the sub-$250k market in Watertown is fairly brisk - you would have no trouble with resale. Milldale/Marion/Plantsville would also make sense, as would the northern end of Cheshire closer to 84.

Old 02-24-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
With that budget, your options are somewhat limited, but the sub-$250k market in Watertown is fairly brisk - you would have no trouble with resale. Milldale/Marion/Plantsville would also make sense, as would the northern end of Cheshire closer to 84.
Milldale/Marion/Plantsville are sections of Southington. It is a solid middle class town and would be a good place to rent or buy. You should be able to find a nice but modest sized home there within your budget. The town is safe and the schools are decent plus your commute to Walingford will be about 20 minutes while the commute to Torrington about a half hour. Jay

Old 02-24-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
I’m not sure the 2-3 time window works. A recession is likely in 2020 and the market would be in a down swing. If that falls right, the bottom will be right when you are trying to sell. Rent before buying. You’ll have to consider this reorganization change in school districts coming up, maybe, I don’t know. If you are in Farmington and they zone with Bristol, it might have some impact on pricing

2-3 years to be in a house and try to bank a profit or break even after a couple years in Ct doesn’t work. And even in the most up and coming areas it’s getting harder. Don’t count on your home as an investment. One roof repair and poof no more profit.
I think it is way too early to start worrying about the proposed school consolidation particularly with larger towns and communities. There is a LOT of opposition to this and it is more likely a way to get even more money for failing school districts than anything else. If the legislature did try to do this, I would think it would be tied up in courts for decades anyway and we do not know what districts would merge. Jay

Old 02-24-2019, 10:44 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Prospect and Southington. Rent, don’t buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut