Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 08:36 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,320,791 times

Advertisements

**FYI...I posted this in the New York section as well**

If you saw my old post, then you know that for the past 3 months, my job has had me contracted out in Manhattan as desktop support engineer for one of our clients. They bought out our old client and split the IT portion of the company with us. I immediately fell in love with working out in the city, as well as the company, and they love having me here too. We were in talks of drumming up a contract in which I would work out here 3 days a week, and work the remaining 2 back in Connecticut at my actual job. this would have resolved their issuing of not finding a candidate fit for the role. Sadly due to money, as well as finding a company for half the price, the deal fell through, and my last day is Feb. 28th.

I have gotten used to navigating my way through the city, and really do like working out here better than Connecticut. Unfortunately I do not live on the New Haven line, so commuting is an issue. I live near Hartford, so it takes about 35 minutes to get to the train, and the train ride is usually 1hr 45m. If I choose to walk to the hotel my job puts me up in instead of taking a cab, it's almost a 20 minute walk. So I know I would need to move closer, which wouldn't be an issue, but my concern is if I can actually find work out here. Will employers immediately turn me down when they see on my resume that I live in CT? Especially if I'm more towards Hartford and not New Haven?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2019, 09:38 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy1988 View Post
Will employers immediately turn me down when they see on my resume that I live in CT? Especially if I'm more towards Hartford and not New Haven?
They may have concerns, especially if hours are long. But it’s up to you in your cover letter to say things like, open to relocation, etc if you feel that’s necessary.

In my opinion, living in CT in general is not a big issue for hiring. I work with several CT residents in NYC. Granted, the furthest commute is Waterbury and most are along New Haven line or Danbury. Wethersfield might raise an eyebrow only if they’re familiar with the area or look it up.

But for you, it should matter more. You can’t commute daily from there. It’s untenable. So wouldn’t you have to get an apartment closer to the city anyway? If they don’t allow significant telecommuting. So relocation should always be part of the conversation and there’s no way an employer should frown upon someone living on the New Haven line.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
They may have concerns, especially if hours are long. But it’s up to you in your cover letter to say things like, open to relocation, etc if you feel that’s necessary.

In my opinion, living in CT in general is not a big issue for hiring. I work with several CT residents in NYC. Granted, the furthest commute is Waterbury and most are along New Haven line or Danbury. Wethersfield might raise an eyebrow only if they’re familiar with the area or look it up.

But for you, it should matter more. You can’t commute daily from there. It’s untenable. So wouldn’t you have to get an apartment closer to the city anyway? If they don’t allow significant telecommuting. So relocation should always be part of the conversation and there’s no way an employer should frown upon someone living on the New Haven line.
Thank you for the info Stylo! Correct, the commute would drain me out and make me miserable for if I did it from Wethersfield. I would be willing to relocate for sure, and will definitely bring that to their attention. West Haven, Milford, and Stratford, have been a few towns I have considered to cut the commute time down. I enjoy the train ride, and use the time to sleep, catch up on shows, or read. Of course, finding a job that allows me to work from home and only come in the office a few days a week would be a great option too. I wouldn't mind driving to and from Wethersfield if that was the case.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:56 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Unless you tell them you’re trying to relocate, they will definitely have concerns and inquire about how you’ll handle the commute. Long daily commutes certainly affect employee productivity, sick leave, and possible tardiness, especially during inclement weather. If I were a hiring manager, I’d express concern.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:01 AM

570 posts, read 477,553 times
Your post is a bit confusing. Are you asking if NYC companies would have problems with your commute..probably not but it could be questioned. I would worry about stability as Tata and other Indian outsourcers will continue to undercut desktop and infra roles.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Your post is a bit confusing. Are you asking if NYC companies would have problems with your commute..probably not but it could be questioned. I would worry about stability as Tata and other Indian outsourcers will continue to undercut desktop and infra roles.
I would relocate for an easier commute. My concern was will they immediately pass on me when seeing my current address. I was thinking of mentioning I would relocate in a cover letter. Not really worried about any outsourcers taking my job, as I won't being doing a desktop role forever. I plan on getting into networking/IT infrastructure.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:53 AM

Do you have any network down there that can refer you? That makes finding a job 1000x easier.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Do you have any network down there that can refer you? That makes finding a job 1000x easier.
Yes I do. A handful of people at the office I was contracted out to added me on LinkedIn, exchanged numbers, and said they would be more than happy to be a reference.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy1988 View Post
Yes I do. A handful of people at the office I was contracted out to added me on LinkedIn, exchanged numbers, and said they would be more than happy to be a reference.
Try to get more than a reference. Look at shared connections with open roles, etc. and see if you can get a direct referral. References are only good after you’ve done the hard part.

Old 02-26-2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Try to get more than a reference. Look at shared connections with open roles, etc. and see if you can get a direct referral. References are only good after you’ve done the hard part.
Thank you, I will look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut