Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 09:47 AM

228 posts, read 264,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
Tortilla Flats must have been a regional chain because years ago there also was one in Burlington VT area that also closed
I just drove by one in Providence the other day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 04:08 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Indeed it was. Even before my family moved to CT, we used to drive from Westchester to Manero's to celebrate birthdays, so of course we also had to endure the singing waiters who sang "Happy Birthday" at the table. It was a tradition, but when you're an introverted kid, it was a tradition you could do without. You just had to shrink down in your seat and endure it and then when the waiters left, grab another piece of garlic bread! No one did garlic bread like Manero's. Of course, the day following a dinner at Manero's was always interesting, given that the entire family exhaled the fumes of garlic overnight in their sleep.
I don't remember if I ever went there for my birthday, but the singing waiters sound like Manero's. We also lived in Westchester when we used to go to Manero's. It was well known throughout the region. Do you remember when it closed?

Old 03-23-2019, 04:38 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I don't remember if I ever went there for my birthday, but the singing waiters sound like Manero's. We also lived in Westchester when we used to go to Manero's. It was well known throughout the region. Do you remember when it closed?
I hadn’t ever been, it was open when I was in college in 2002 and renting with my then girlfriend in Cos Cob. I’m pretty sure it was still there through 2005.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I hadn’t ever been, it was open when I was in college in 2002 and renting with my then girlfriend in Cos Cob. I’m pretty sure it was still there through 2005.
That's later than I thought. I thought it probably closed in the 1990s. Do you know what is on that site now? I thought they knocked the building down but I'm not sure.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:45 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,177,253 times
Quote:
https://www.greenwichlibrary.org/man...urant-17172-2/

"In 2006, after 62 years of serving the community, the restaurant was sold to 3 businessmen, who wanted to build business suites and residential condominiums. The restaurant that had once sold 1,100 steak dinners on a Saturday night for $5.95 now had to charge $30. No longer were trucks delivering 50,000 pounds of meat a week to the restaurant. Fortunately, the butcher shop relocated to Bruce Park, and changed its name to Greenwich Meats. You can get complete steak dinners or buy your own meats. But the restaurant had seen better days."

I think you can still get all the fixings for a Manero's style meal at the butcher shop. My brother did that for Thanksgiving this past year.

Interestingly, Manero's still lives on in Florida. Three members of the extended family opened a Manero's restaurant in Palm City, Florida.

https://maneros.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...y_Florida.html

Old 03-23-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
https://www.greenwichlibrary.org/man...urant-17172-2/

"In 2006, after 62 years of serving the community, the restaurant was sold to 3 businessmen, who wanted to build business suites and residential condominiums. The restaurant that had once sold 1,100 steak dinners on a Saturday night for $5.95 now had to charge $30. No longer were trucks delivering 50,000 pounds of meat a week to the restaurant. Fortunately, the butcher shop relocated to Bruce Park, and changed its name to Greenwich Meats. You can get complete steak dinners or buy your own meats. But the restaurant had seen better days."

I think you can still get all the fixings for a Manero's style meal at the butcher shop. My brother did that for Thanksgiving this past year.

Interestingly, Manero's still lives on in Florida. Three members of the extended family opened a Manero's restaurant in Palm City, Florida.

https://maneros.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...y_Florida.html
Thanks so much for the information!

Old 03-23-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the information!
You're welcome, dazzleman. I had fun looking into the Manero's aftermath, which in a way seems to have worked out for the family. They have the butcher shop and a new location in Florida. Plus I'm sure they got some nice coin for the real estate.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:46 PM

328 posts, read 425,459 times
Quote:
You're welcome, dazzleman. I had fun looking into the Manero's aftermath, which in a way seems to have worked out for the family. They have the butcher shop and a new location in Florida. Plus I'm sure they got some nice coin for the real estate.
The family doesn't own the butcher shop, which is called Greenwich Prime Meats. It is owned by former Manero butcher Sal Generio. You can still order the restaurant's vaunted Gorgonzola Salad, steakbit sandwich and garlic bread there.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lginlg View Post
The family doesn't own the butcher shop, which is called Greenwich Prime Meats. It is owned by former Manero butcher Sal Generio. You can still order the restaurant's vaunted Gorgonzola Salad, steakbit sandwich and garlic bread there.
Thank you for the correction. That's good to know it's still in the hands of a pro. Manero's was the first place where I ever had garlic bread, and I've never found any garlic bread of its equal.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:27 PM

752 posts, read 552,628 times
Ships in Westport
Onion Alley in Westport
The Gathering in Milford
Jennie's in Bridgeport
Glynn's in Westport
Bailey in Monroe
International Deli in Westport
Breakaway in Southport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut