Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 01:51 PM

4,394 posts, read 3,281,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It Depends on what you expect for your budget and the type of community you want. Without that I would recommend either Fairfield or Trumbull. Both are great towns with excellent schools and tons of family activities. Plus they are immediately adjacent to Bridgeport so your commute would be less. In an area known for traffic I always recommend that you live as close to your job as possible.

Fairfield is generally considered the more desirable of the two so you can expect to get less home for your money there. This is because Fairfield has three train station on Metro North, fivebeaches on Long Island Sound and some unbelievably charming and affluent neighborhoods like Southport and Greenfield Hill. The nice thing about a Fairfield is it’s diversity. It has everything from modest starter apartments to stunning estates. It also has a great walkable town center and tons of shopping and restaurants.

That said many people I know from Fairfield have moved to Trumbull because they could get more home for their money there. Trumbull does not have the diversity of Fairfield since there are fewer modest apartments or estates. It also only has a small less walkable downtown and is more suburban in character. Still it is a beautiful community with a lot for families.

I don’t think I would recommend Shelton unless you really want lower taxes. The schools in Shelton do not perform as well and services there are less to keep taxes down. It also less convenient to Bridgeport. I would also not recommend Orange or Milford because they are further from Bridgeport. Jay
Trumbull has more diversity than Fairfield. Info from City-Data.
Trumbull has 22% minorities
Fairfield has 12% minorities

I am not sure if you are referring to diversity in housing stock, resident income or resident nationality though. If it is housing stock and resident income then yes, Fairfield has more diversity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 02:45 PM

21,553 posts, read 30,976,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

I am not sure if you are referring to diversity in housing stock, resident income or resident nationality though. If it is housing stock and resident income then yes, Fairfield has more diversity
Trumbull is 94% white while Fairfield is 91% white. Neither town is diverse.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:54 PM

21,554 posts, read 27,794,997 times
Quote:

I believe he means socioeconomic and housing.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Trumbull is 94% white while Fairfield is 91% white. Neither town is diverse.
Look at the print screens from City-Data.

Trumbull 22% Minorities (not like a big city but pretty diverse for a small town)
Working in Bridgeport, where to live with kids?-trumbullmin.jpg

Fairfield 12% Minorities
Working in Bridgeport, where to live with kids?-fairfieldmin.jpg

Old 03-17-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Look at the print screens from City-Data.

Trumbull 22% Minorities (not like a big city but pretty diverse for a small town)
Attachment 209167

Fairfield 12% Minorities
Attachment 209168
That’s almost decade old information. I know Trumbull well and it is anything but “diverse”. Same with Fairfield.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:12 PM

33,801 posts, read 16,806,148 times
The OP never mentioned diversity as a must have.

The key thing is people have mentioned towns and small cities with nice housing stock, that are safe for children to be raised in. That have good school systems for their children.

That's what counts. There is nothing wrong with either a lot of diversity, or a lack of diversity. In neither case, that should not be more important than safety, quality homes, quality schools, and desired amenities.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:00 PM

34,700 posts, read 56,496,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I believe he means socioeconomic and housing.
That is what I meant. If you read the context of what I said, you will see I was relating it to housing. Fairfield has more modest apartments and more very high priced homes. Trumbull has more middle to upper middle income homes. Jay

Old 03-17-2019, 06:19 PM

11,252 posts, read 18,752,289 times
Quote:
That’s almost decade old information. I know Trumbull well and it is anything but “diverse”. Same with Fairfield.

Actually, if the school system is any indication, it is more "diverse" now, though from what I have seen the 22% number sounds correct, although it is more "diverse" closer to the Bridgeport line than further north (i.e. say Frenchtown Elementary vs. Tashua say). And my former boss (who is Hispanic) when I worked in the Bridgeport school system who has a 3 year old recently moved from Bridgeport to Trumbull because of the schools and because it has "a little of everyone" there.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Actually, if the school system is any indication, it is more "diverse" now, though from what I have seen the 22% number sounds correct, although it is more "diverse" closer to the Bridgeport line than further north (i.e. say Frenchtown Elementary vs. Tashua say). And my former boss (who is Hispanic) when I worked in the Bridgeport school system who has a 3 year old recently moved from Bridgeport to Trumbull because of the schools and because it has "a little of everyone" there.
A simple Google search of updated demographics will show you how little racial diversity Trumbull has. That said, I think we’re getting off topic here.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:59 PM

Quote:
A simple Google search of updated demographics will show you how little racial diversity Trumbull has. That said, I think we’re getting off topic here.
I will use CERC for 2016 although I can't post the links but anyone can look them up.

Trumbull
Population of 36,477 of which 29,171 are white. That is 7306 minorities which is about 20%.
Trumbull CERC is only a 2% difference from City-Data so that is practically the same.

Fairfield
Population of 61,114 of which 51,987 are white. That is 9127 minorities which is about 15%. Fairfield has gotten more diverse according to CERC.

So now on the racial diversity Trumbull and Fairfield are very close too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut