Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 08:05 AM

173 posts, read 351,768 times

Advertisements

We are a same-sex, mixed-religion couple considering buying a place in the Marvin Beach area of Norwalk (moving from the University area in Fairfield, which we like, but we're drawn to the idea of a more walkable neighborhood that feels a little like the Cape). Can anyone tell me what the area is like in terms of diversity and openness/inclusion? We do not have children, are both highly-educated, and are in our early 50s. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 08:33 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
I can't imagine that East Norwalk, where Marvin Beach is located, is any less accepting or open than Fairfield. If anything I would think it is more. Norwalk is one of the most diverse communities in Fairfield County so I would not worry about being accepted there. Since you do not have children and schools are not important, I see no reason to not move there. Good luck, Jay

Old 03-21-2019, 08:48 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Diversity doesn’t automatically mean “accepting”. Many cultures do not approve of homosexuality, and are far more critical of it than white American culture. I’d be willing to bet that the community of Fairfield would be much more accepting of it than working class Norwalk. That said, I doubt you’ll have much of an issue. JMO.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:47 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Diversity doesn’t automatically mean “accepting”. Many cultures do not approve of homosexuality, and are far more critical of it than white American culture. I’d be willing to bet that the community of Fairfield would be much more accepting of it than working class Norwalk. That said, I doubt you’ll have much of an issue. JMO.
Marvin Beach is not working class though. It's actually a pricey little area. I have some friends there and they love it. They are definitely open minded, progressive people. They say it's beachy, friendly, and laid back. Very tight community.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Marvin Beach is not working class though. It's actually a pricey little area. I have some friends there and they love it. They are definitely open minded, progressive people. They say it's beachy, friendly, and laid back. Very tight community.
Right, but it’s also not a “diverse” little area. That’s why I said they wouldn’t have an issue.

IMO, the most critical of homosexuality are those diverse neighborhoods. It’s just not tolerated in many cultures. Just wanted to point out that “diverse” doesn’t always mean accepting.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:53 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
IMO the areas that would be least tolerant would be the blue-collar communities with a more working-class vibe. East Norwalk has gone up in value so it's not as cheap as it once was, which means a wealthier clientele.

There's a difference between classist, white-collar snobbery (and tends to judge people by their bank account or college education) and blue-collar rudeness where there's more condescension towards the LGBT community and others. It's this latter group that I would be more inclined to avoid if I were you. In any event, I can't see you having an issue in Marvin Beach.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
IMO the areas that would be least tolerant would be the blue-collar communities with a more working-class vibe. East Norwalk has gone up in value so it's not as cheap as it once was, which means a wealthier clientele.

There's a difference between classist, white-collar snobbery (and tends to judge people by their bank account or college education) and blue-collar rudeness where there's more condescension towards the LGBT community and others. It's this latter group that I would be more inclined to avoid if I were you. In any event, I can't see you having an issue in Marvin Beach.
Totally agree.

Old 03-21-2019, 01:26 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I have a friend that lives off of Gregory Blvd. She loves it down there and so do I. My brother is a musician and he plays at the social & boat club (59 Seaview Ave.) across from the little marina on occasion. I have done "the hang" with the people in that area and they seem pretty nice to me. In that little club you do see all colors/nationalities hanging out together. That is what I have observed anyway.

I used to work on Van Zant Street at a magazine about 20 years ago and got to know some people in that area back then too. It is still the same vibe.

IMO that area is more laid back and friendlier than Fairfield.....although I do like Fairfield very much. Let me put it this way......when I go into Fairfield I am aware of the "keeping up with the Jonses" vibe but not in that area of Norwalk in and around Gregory Blvd.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:19 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I disagree. Norwalk is a large city with a wide range of people including a gay community. This is not working class Pittsburgh. It’s affluent Connecticut and Marvin Beach and East Norwalk would be fine with this couple. Jay

Old 03-22-2019, 05:45 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I disagree. Norwalk is a large city with a wide range of people including a gay community. This is not working class Pittsburgh. It’s affluent Connecticut and Marvin Beach and East Norwalk would be fine with this couple. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
View detailed profiles of: