Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 06:31 AM

24,541 posts, read 18,124,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfrances9 View Post
Thanks JayCT for the leads on the realtor and those other 2 towns.

We're currently in Southern Vermont, where we originally planned on finding a home, but after months of residing here, we decided it's not for us. Same with NH or MA, and then Connecticut came into view when we took a trip down in late January.

We're heading down on Sunday to view a couple of open houses in the area and we can pass through Newington and Wethersfield to check out those towns as well.

Appreciate the help.
Put some words around what you think is “for you”? Beyond school system, how do you envision spending your time? West Hartford is semi-urban and dense suburban with lots of congestion. Kind of the antithesis of southern Vermont. The part of town where $180k buys a house is very socioeconomically mixed and multiracial. Vermont is 98% white people and there is a stark contrast between the affluent weekenders, trustafarians, & retirees and most of the natives.

My girlfriend lives in West Hartford so I’m a part timer. I like the multicultural aspect. Asian and Indian grocery stores. You can buy a real Brooklyn bagel. It’s affluent enough to support a couple Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s, and an upscale shopping mall. West Hartford Center is kind of overrated compared to other affluent town centers I’m used to but it’s pretty good. I’m from New Bedford so I’m used to sketchy but the Walmart on the Hartford line is really sketchy. Hartford has extreme poverty and you are right next to it. It’s different from Vermont poverty where you mostly see heroin zombies.

And the drivers combine the worst traits of NY and Boston. Very aggressive and quick to use the horn. The usual in high population density northeast corridor areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 06:55 AM

21,588 posts, read 31,083,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
And the drivers combine the worst traits of NY and Boston. Very aggressive and quick to use the horn. The usual in high population density northeast corridor areas.
Any densely populated area, really.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:09 AM

34,808 posts, read 56,697,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I don’t think the OP understands West Hartford home ownership and car ownership costs. A $200k house has a $6,000 property tax bill. Add in insurance, utilities, and basic home maintenance and you’re at $1,000/month even if you’re paying cash for the house.
I am sure the OP and their lender fully understands the costs involved with buying a home, here or anywhere. To assume otherwise does the OP a disservice. They have indicated that they have already been approved for financing and that commonly means they understand the costs involved. Jay

Old 03-24-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am sure the OP and their lender fully understands the costs involved with buying a home, here or anywhere. To assume otherwise does the OP a disservice. They have indicated that they have already been approved for financing and that commonly means they understand the costs involved. Jay
I think GeoffD was more advising the OP to be mindful of the variation in costs between each community rather than homeowner costs in general. The cost difference can be in the thousands from one town to another. That’s just what I got from his post.

Old 03-24-2019, 07:40 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,750,246 times
Longmeadow is a very similar community to West Hartford. For 180K, in WH you can only get a tiny house in the southeast section of town, which is experiencing bleed over from Hartford, having some of the same issues as Hartford. In any other area of town, you're talking a house with major issues that are expensive to fix. And property taxes in WH are high.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:01 AM

464 posts, read 309,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think GeoffD was more advising the OP to be mindful of the variation in costs between each community rather than homeowner costs in general. The cost difference can be in the thousands from one town to another. That’s just what I got from his post.
When you get preapproved they typically put the average property tax for the zip codes you are considering so I’m guessing $500 a month is already in that box for property tax. If the desired house is higher than of course make the adjustment but it’s surely already part of the good faith estimate sheet of costs

Old 03-24-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
When you get preapproved they typically put the average property tax for the zip codes you are considering so I’m guessing $500 a month is already in that box for property tax. If the desired house is higher than of course make the adjustment but it’s surely already part of the good faith estimate sheet of costs
Usually yes, which means if they go to a lower taxed community, they can afford quite a bit more of a mortgage. That would ultimately be up to them.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:10 PM

10 posts, read 8,572 times
Hello! thank you everyone for your valuable input and insight.

Yes, I am completely aware of VT/NH/MA and CT being the top states with the highest property taxes, and I'm paying close attention to not getting into a mortgage that carries mostly taxes. We are recent transplants from Northern CA where we lived where 1% of the richest live and couldn't afford a home there (and I grew up there!). The taxes might be higher here, but at least we can own a 2/3 bdrm home without winning the lottery.

We chose VT originally since my Father lived here but he unfortunately and unexpectedly passed away, so I am trying to make due with what we can find on the East Coast since we've already uprooted ourselves and made the move. I don't want to keep moving my Daughter around and I'd rather not be in continued limbo if I can help it.

For MA, I haven't been all around, so I certainly cannot say that I am a good judge of the state, but I'm mostly comparing the Western part of MA, and just find that those suburbs mostly West of Hartford, feel more like a place I'd call home. Unfortunately many others feel the same way so it just makes it a bit harder.

Trying to keep my head high and my wants lower than expected. I know we'll find something, just need to keep trying.

Oh, and as for the crazy drivers on the highways. I had some near death experiences just today when down there and I cannot believe they can get away with cutting people off so dangerously. Bummed to hear that it's an every day occurrence.

Anyway, thanks for your help!

Old 03-25-2019, 06:55 AM

^^^^^^

OP. You still haven’t put many words around the kind of place you want to live or how you want to be spending your time.

If Northern California means the Bay Area, Southern Vermont would certainly be a big transition.

It’s generally going to be hard to find a $200k house with affordable property taxes with a strong school system that is near all the suburban affluent people conveniences. The wage scale in those parts of New England are too high.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly1017 View Post
I’m guessing it was a Vermont bank. Vermont has the Act 68 state school property tax which is means tested. For a single parent with a kid who is qualified for the mortgage on a $180k to $200k house, they wouldn’t be paying much of it. The muni tax part of your property tax bill in most Vermont towns is usually pretty low.

Any town the OP could afford, Massachusetts has Proposition 2 1/2 which limits the property tax rate and the state subsidizes the public school system. Connecticut will invariably be higher than the equivalent Massachusetts town. The Connecticut towns with low property taxes tend to be stuffed full of million dollar homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut