Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 01:10 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’d say, as someone who has lived in both a walkable neighborhood in a downtown core and someone who has had a nice backyard in a more rural area, I’ve used my yard far more than I’d walk places.

I also think this “walkable” thing is overrated and not as desirable as people suggest. The stars really have to align for someone to want to walk in a suburban walkable neighborhood; weather, destination, etc.

Exactly. That has been my observation as well. We would usually only walk to a bar or restaurant when friends were visiting. That’s about it.
My friends use Uber to bars and restaurants when they are out partying. You don’t have to pay a premium if you do that. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 02:44 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,943,980 times
Walkability is simply a term that means you live close to things. We looked at houses in Weston, and the rural feel was certainly beautiful and relaxing. Once we snapped back to reality we saw the distance to the store, jobs, playdates, ball fields, schools, restaurants, friends, etc. as a big negative.

I'm not a milenial but I think they're looking for denser SFR to give them a stronger community feel where their kids can bike to playdates, there is a block party, etc.

That's tough to find in SW CT.

Last edited by brown_dog_us; 04-05-2019 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: I can not spell.

Old 04-05-2019, 03:51 PM

9 posts, read 9,875 times
I appreciate everyone's insights. What is interesting is - our home is turn-key (completely and expensively renovated), on 1/4 acre (low maintenance), one mile from train (shuttle to train stops on our corner!), one mile to the beach and walkable to dunkin, 2 gas stations, a few restaurants, bars, stores, pediatrician, etc. We have the best neighbors/neighborhood and our elementary school is ranked #1 in Westport and #2 public elementary in the state! And we keep losing out to larger homes on 1+ acre up near the Merritt ( we are about a mile from 95 but far enough away not to hear the noise of that or the train). I always thought our home would be super easy to sell for the foregoing reasons but it totally baffles my mind. I am technically a millenial (although I identify more with the Gen Xers), we just had our 4th child and desperately need more home and yard space to live.

Last edited by pipermaruu; 04-05-2019 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-05-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post
Walkability is simply a term that means you live close to things. We looked at houses in Weston, and the rural feel was certainly beautiful and relaxing. Once we snapped back to reality we saw the distance to the store, jobs, playdates, ball fields, schools, restaurants, friends, etc. as a big negative.

I'm not a milenial but I think they're looking for denser SFR to give them a stronger community feel where their kids can bike to playdates, there is a block party, etc.

We bought in a walkable family neighborhood with the thought that we would not have to drive our kids around. We were wrong. While they did have friends in our neighborhood, by the time they weee old enough to go out on their own, they had made friends in other neighborhoods and we had to drive them anyway. Also we found that there were kids in our neighborhood that we did not necessarily want them to play with. Our friends with young kids found the same thing. The days of kids playing with friends in the neighborhood are gone, if they ever existed. Jay

Old 04-05-2019, 10:15 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The days of kids playing with friends in the neighborhood are gone, if they ever existed. Jay
Jay, I like you but come on. There were no bikes?

My first "car" was 1.50 American and a GBT map. I was 12 or so. The independence I had was amazing, I got to experience the city and make friends my age I would not have otherwise. While being appropriate for each kid on a case by case basis at that age, the ones in my generation that grew up with "driver parents" are nearly completely shackled by expectations of success without the tools to thrive. Just my .02.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:10 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown_dog_us View Post

I think that’s more a function of low birth rates among white collar professionals. 50 years ago, suburbia was baby factories. Every neighborhood had a gaggle of kids. You didn’t have to do artificial play dates.

In 2019, anywhere really desirable with a high walkability score is going to be expensive with mostly older homeowners and few young children. That’s everywhere in the high COL regions and has nothing to do with the fancy part of Connecticut.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:46 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm1983 View Post
As my wealth grows, I am very cognizant of the albatross a giant highly taxed property is to your financial future, especially if the thing is neutral or depreciates in value.
If the plus or minus $3000/year differential on property taxes affects you one way or the other, it's a pretty low income household, especially by FFC standards. $250/month is probably less than the coffee budget of most.

Old 04-06-2019, 04:55 AM

1,195 posts, read 1,625,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I also think this “walkable” thing is overrated and not as desirable as people suggest. The stars really have to align for someone to want to walk in a suburban walkable neighborhood; weather, destination, etc.
I agree. I think people often underestimate their own laziness. Even if you live a 15-20 minute walk from a downtown, there's a LOT of times where you don't feel like making that walk. Like every single day after your commute, for example. Or your kids don't want to walk and you can't leave them alone. And on and on.

Even my friends that live in SF or NYC, they talk about the walkability of their area, but then still Uber most places because the restaurants they ACTUALLY like are actually a 25-30 minute walk, or up a big hill, or the path to them goes through a sketchy area, etc.

Unless you literally live on the same couple blocks as a lot of things you like to do regularly, which is incredibly unlikely, walkability is very overrated.

I think it is more psychological than anything.. "we could do x if we wanted to!"

Old 04-06-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Jay, I like you but come on. There were no bikes?

My first "car" was 1.50 American and a GBT map. I was 12 or so. The independence I had was amazing, I got to experience the city and make friends my age I would not have otherwise. While being appropriate for each kid on a case by case basis at that age, the ones in my generation that grew up with "driver parents" are nearly completely shackled by expectations of success without the tools to thrive. Just my .02.
There are bikes but the main roads near us are very busy and narrow so we did not let them go that far on their bikes. They could just as easily walk to their friends house without crossing a major street or ride on a busy narrow road. Jay

Old 04-06-2019, 04:17 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
We live in the Gulf Beach area of Milford so lots of sidewalks, people out running/walking/biking from April-November. We walk around a lot, and I bike. Also kayak. I like being able to walk downtown too. Even if I do the 5 minute drive there and then walk. It’s nice to have nearby. Also like to drive to New Haven and walk around. Fire Engine Pizza Co. will be easy to walk to. I think that’s really cool.

I wouldn’t call that walkable access “overrated” at all. It’s a personal preference thing. Even if I’m not walking there’s an “energy” to the area that I really like.

I grew up north of Danbury and while there’s some beautiful nature trails and scenery in places, the lack of walkability and access to culture was a deal breaker. I have friends that stayed and love it, but it’s not for me. I guess I’m more stereotypically millennial in that sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut