Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2019, 05:03 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
We live in the Gulf Beach area of Milford so lots of sidewalks, people out running/walking/biking from April-November. We walk around a lot, and I bike. Also kayak. I like being able to walk downtown too. Even if I do the 5 minute drive there and then walk. It’s nice to have nearby. Also like to drive to New Haven and walk around. Fire Engine Pizza Co. will be easy to walk to. I think that’s really cool.

I wouldn’t call that walkable access “overrated” at all. It’s a personal preference thing. Even if I’m not walking there’s an “energy” to the area that I really like.

I grew up north of Danbury and while there’s some beautiful nature trails and scenery in places, the lack of walkability and access to culture was a deal breaker. I have friends that stayed and love it, but it’s not for me. I guess I’m more stereotypically millennial in that sense.
I also have seen a number of people walking/biking/jogging in non “walkable” areas. And a bicycle in CT is considered a motor vehicle, so you can’t ride them on sidewalks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 05:38 PM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I also have seen a number of people walking/biking/jogging in non “walkable” areas. And a bicycle in CT is considered a motor vehicle, so you can’t ride them on sidewalks.
Ok. Not sure your point.

Old 04-06-2019, 07:14 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Ok. Not sure your point.
My point is that you don’t need a walkable neighborhood to do all those activities. I get the appeal to walking to a bar or restaurant on occasion. But does it really justify paying a premium for it? Not for me.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:24 PM

21,732 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
My point is that you don’t need a walkable neighborhood to do all those activities. I get the appeal to walking to a bar or restaurant on occasion. But does it really justify paying a premium for it? Not for me.
I would pay a premium for it and so do many people. It’s justified if that’s your preference

Old 04-11-2019, 09:44 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Could the lagging market for high-end, Back Country Greenwich estates be finally improving? Jay

https://www.ctpost.com/business/arti...s-13757659.php

Old 04-11-2019, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 900 times
Hi all. This a fantastic thread. My husband and I have just started our house hunt. We live in NYC, are in our early 40s and are childless (although, we may look into fostering in the future). My husband is from Westchester and most of his family still live there (with exception to a brother and his wife who live in Greenwich just a house or two from the Port Chester border). While my husband would love to get a place in Westchester, I think we'd be much better off in Stamford. I think we can get more for our money and the commute to NYC is tolerable. But we're trying to understand property taxes. Apparently, property taxes are assessed on 70% of the property's Fair Market Value. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, if we purchase a home for $550K our property taxes should be no more than approximately $9,700 (using Stamford's current highest mill rate of 25.53). Does this sound right? Are there factors I'm not considering? Any input would be appreciated.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:08 PM

610 posts, read 532,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerBri View Post
Hi all. This a fantastic thread. My husband and I have just started our house hunt. We live in NYC, are in our early 40s and are childless (although, we may look into fostering in the future). My husband is from Westchester and most of his family still live there (with exception to a brother and his wife who live in Greenwich just a house or two from the Port Chester border). While my husband would love to get a place in Westchester, I think we'd be much better off in Stamford. I think we can get more for our money and the commute to NYC is tolerable. But we're trying to understand property taxes. Apparently, property taxes are assessed on 70% of the property's Fair Market Value. So, if I'm understanding this correctly, if we purchase a home for $550K our property taxes should be no more than approximately $9,700 (using Stamford's current highest mill rate of 25.53). Does this sound right? Are there factors I'm not considering? Any input would be appreciated.
I would say that's approximately correct. My house is worth a little under $550k and my most recent taxes are $8900. Most real estates websites do list each house's RE tax so you might check those as well for a more comprehensive idea.

Note that in CT we have an annual vehicle tax, also based on 70% of the vehicle's book value. Figure a tax of about 2% of your vehicle(s) value annually. Also some areas of Stamford pay sewer charges as well (I suppose you wouldn't if you weren't hooked up to the sewer line). My family of 4 pays about $750 annually.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
No, taxes are based on a property’s assessed value, not what you pay for it. Each town performs an assessment of your property’s value every five years. It is best to look at the taxes that were paid the previous year. That will give you an idea of what your taxes will be on the home you buy. Jay

Old 04-11-2019, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,022 times
thank you question

Old 04-13-2019, 03:48 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,733 times
Quote:
Use this link. It’s an online assessment database for many CT towns, including Stamford. It will show sales history etc for Stamford properties. Type in the address of the home you’re interested in. It will show you the current assessment, official square footage, acreage, etc. you can get a good sense of taxes by multiplying the assessed value by the current mill rate http://www.vgsi.com/assessors-online...e/connecticut/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut