Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 03:50 PM

215 posts, read 148,468 times

Advertisements

"Two state police troopers could be targets of an internal investigation after they were heard on a body camera discussing how they would “minimize” the drunken driving arrest of a veteran Norwalk cop.

A spokesman said the state police will review the body camera footage and arrest report involving Hector Delgado, a 26-year Norwalk police officer who was more than twice the legal limit when he was charged with DUI on Aug. 8."

https://www.ctinsider.com/news/artic...s-14872682.php

the video is annoying, they put ads in every 15 or so seconds it seems.

I understand that officers get preferred treatment by other officers, I don't agree with it, but I understand it. But not caring about an unlicensed gun is a bit much, if that was anyone else, they'd absolutely get charged for that right away, not to mention the other things he wasn't charged with. You read later on that he gets that charge added on by the arresting officer begrudgingly.

Also a really nice courtesy that after they arrested him they put in in the front seat of the police suv.

Old 12-05-2019, 03:59 PM

343 posts, read 353,574 times
My unpopular opinion is that the difficulty of police work is definitely overblown.

Police have a comparatively safe and well paying job. They are not rich, and they are not completely immune to danger. But the trade off balances out way better than some other professions. Having said all that...

That bias to protect other cops shows a complete disregard for the laws as they are intended to be interpreted. If anything, police should be held to a higher standard. His punishment for DUI and unlicensed firearm should greatly eclipse that of what any citizen might receive. And that is because as a law enforcement officer, they should understand and respect the benefit of the doubt and the authority that we have afforded them, based on the promise of the hiring agency and the government, that they are carefully selected based on a criterion of honesty and integrity.

Oh well, in the real world this is not the truth.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:34 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post
My unpopular opinion is that the difficulty of police work is definitely overblown.
Except that it’s not. You’ll go from giving CPR to a 40 year old who just had a massive heart attack to smiling for a photograph with a 5 year old. You can get ordered in for 18 hours if that day is understaffed, but expect to be able to make split second decisions at hour 17.5, and if you do it wrong, it’s your job and/or your freedom. Some days require delivering the news to parents that their 16 year old was killed in a crash, then go to a civil assist where a woman complains about her neighbor’s spotlights and demands to know why you’re less than empathetic.

Yeah - that’s why your opinion is unpopular. Because it’s pretty darned difficult and not something just anyone can do.

Old 12-05-2019, 05:51 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Except that it’s not. You’ll go from giving CPR to a 40 year old who just had a massive heart attack to smiling for a photograph with a 5 year old. You can get ordered in for 18 hours if that day is understaffed, but expect to be able to make split second decisions at hour 17.5, and if you do it wrong, it’s your job and/or your freedom. Some days require delivering the news to parents that their 16 year old was killed in a crash, then go to a civil assist where a woman complains about her neighbor’s spotlights and demands to know why you’re less than empathetic.

Yeah - that’s why your opinion is unpopular. Because it’s pretty darned difficult and not something just anyone can do.
I agree. Most police put their lives on the line literally every day. They see and deal with situations that would break many of us. You can’t understate that. I felt horrible for those that had to deal with Sandy Hook. I know I couldn’t. Jay

Old 12-06-2019, 12:11 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylentvoyce View Post

Police have a comparatively safe and well paying job. They are not rich, and they are not completely immune to danger. But the trade off balances out way better than some other professions. Having said all that...

That bias to protect other cops shows a complete disregard for the laws as they are intended to be interpreted. If anything, police should be held to a higher standard. His punishment for DUI and unlicensed firearm should greatly eclipse that of what any citizen might receive. And that is because as a law enforcement officer, they should understand and respect the benefit of the doubt and the authority that we have afforded them, based on the promise of the hiring agency and the government, that they are carefully selected based on a criterion of honesty and integrity.

Oh well, in the real world this is not the truth.
It depends on the city or town. A cop in a high violent crime rate Bridgeport or Springfield Ma earns every penny. That’s a really high stress job.

Old 12-06-2019, 06:46 AM

6,921 posts, read 3,757,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

Amazing isn't it. Imagine having all that as your job description or being the unfortunate recipient of such services.
Some folks still lose it over "Bag taxes".

Old 12-06-2019, 07:16 AM

1,930 posts, read 2,041,717 times
I believe state troopers and police officers earn every penny. I believe there should be additional mental health support given to them because of the nature of their jobs.

That said, I do not believe they are above the law, and should receive the same consequences as civilians for willfully breaking the law.

I understand the concern for protecting your own but you lose credibility with the public if different rules apply for offenses like this. There is a similar ongoing situation in Southbury right now.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:44 AM

830 posts, read 1,094,390 times
I feel bad for the Greenwich police officers who spend their whole day as glorified crossing guards on the Avenue. At least they're safe and make 6 figures, so can't feel too bad for them, but I guess there is a bank robbery once a month or so too.

Old 12-06-2019, 02:58 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It depends on the city or town. A cop in a high violent crime rate Bridgeport or Springfield Ma earns every penny. That’s a really high stress job.
These days you never know what you will face. If you can have a mass shooting in Newtown, it could happen anywhere. The days of there being no crime in small towns are over. Jay

Old 12-07-2019, 07:42 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,186,951 times
You talk to cops in most any town about what goes on in your quiet little town and prepare to be shocked.
Drugs, horrific car crashes, sexual assaults, domestics, and much more.
Before I moved to my part of town, could have never predicted what has transpired since....
Bottom line a lesson I learned as a kid who has moved more in my youth than most do in a lifetime......people are people wherever you go. We all enjoy/ suffer the same...
No locale is immune from the human condition.
Cops see it all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut