Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 04:50 PM

570 posts, read 477,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I’ll plead the fifth.

I have nothing against marijuana. In fact, it has so many benefits that it’s frustrating when they’re ignored for a political agenda. But to discount the immediate effects of it after one hit, in addition to the discounting of its effects on motor skills and coordination while driving is a very poor pro-marijuana stance. Actually, those immediate effects of smoking marijuana are precisely why many people feel it so desirable for medical purposes.
Kid,

I think you are missing my point. I ranked an order of dangerous driving and put pot on the bottom. I don't think anyone should be drinking, texting, doing opioids, looking back at their kids nor smoking pot while driving. I am stating that putting people is jail is not right use of resources for marijuana. Being against legalization bc of DUI concerns is the height of hypocrisy. Ban alcohol and you will have serious decrease in DUIs, right? You have to punish behavior of driving while impaired. My buddy should not drive high but I would trust him over a texting teen who can't put down their phone, painkiller popper or a friend with 3 vodka tonics in them. That is all.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:39 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
The point isn't that it's a brilliant idea to smoke pot and drive. The point is driving with many other perfectly legal things like alcohol and cell phones are also dangerous--if not more so. So it's intellectually inconsistent for anyone to argue pot shouldn't be legalized on the grounds of driving concerns.

Old 04-06-2019, 06:51 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
So it's intellectually inconsistent for anyone to argue pot shouldn't be legalized on the grounds of driving concerns.
I missed where someone made that argument. Point it out for me?

Old 04-06-2019, 07:29 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,147,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I missed where someone made that argument. Point it out for me?
Down, boy!

I'm making a global statement. Not accusing you or anyone of saying anything. But I think it's implicit in this debate over legalization. Those that oppose it will bring up any and all issues with marijuana, including the issue of driving.

BTW, I think some pro marijuana advocates do have their own misleading propaganda. For one thing, they probably exaggerate the health benefits of it. Just because something can relieve pain, that doesn't mean it's great for overall health. Opiates and alcohol can "medicinally" dull pain too but we know all about those side effects. I heard one tree hugging guy on TV say, "Pot is a plant.......like broccoli". Technically accurate but to imply pot and broccoli have the exact same effects on the body is silly.

That being said, I fully support legalization because we shouldn't legislate vices.

Last edited by ryanthegoldengod; 04-06-2019 at 07:48 PM..

Old 04-07-2019, 05:10 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
I agree with legalization; this way, when all the potheads smoke in their spare time and in the case of my company, they get randomly drug tested and show positive, they’ll be fired. It opens a job up for a responsible person.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:25 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I agree with legalization; this way, when all the potheads smoke in their spare time and in the case of my company, they get randomly drug tested and show positive, they’ll be fired. It opens a job up for a responsible person.
Wow, yeah, because employing a drunk is much preferred.

If you can’t judge an employee based on merit and performance and need to randomly drug test to gauge “responsibility”, there’s a much bigger issue present.

Some of the hardest working and most successful, smartest people I know regularly use weed recreationally. What a ridiculous blanket statement. Thankfully society is beginning to move on from the “reefer madness” propaganda.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:48 AM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Odd that you apparently believe:

1. People who didn't smoke before it became legal would suddenly start.
2. That the people at your company don't know the drug testing policy.

Sounds like you're an unhappy person wishing ill will against people for no reason other than to sooth your damaged ego.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:26 PM

385 posts, read 363,458 times
The National Academy of Medicine has declared, "Cannabis use is likely to increase the risk of developing schizophrenia and other psychoses; the higher the use, the greater the risk.”

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...fe-as-we-think

Old 04-07-2019, 01:30 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Wow, yeah, because employing a drunk is much preferred.

If you can’t judge an employee based on merit and performance and need to randomly drug test to gauge “responsibility”, there’s a much bigger issue present.

Some of the hardest working and most successful, smartest people I know regularly use weed recreationally. What a ridiculous blanket statement. Thankfully society is beginning to move on from the “reefer madness” propaganda.
No; the FAA will ground an aircraft and require it to be disassembled if it’s found that a person who tested positive in a random check worked on it. It will then be reassembled by people who are clear thinking. We’ve also let many people go from their lucrative jobs, due to recreational weed use. I take it your friends aren’t responsible for returning a commercial aircraft to service? Scary if they are.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:34 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
There is a lot of debate over this topic. A couple of studies have concluded that there is a rise in car crashes in
states that have legalized marijuana.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ow/1693567002/
The rise coincides with a rise in inattentive driving related accidents.

//www.city-data.com/forum/53674407-post46.html

No one asking to ban cellphones but they should if we are going this route....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut