Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 12:23 PM

24,499 posts, read 17,928,563 times

Advertisements

Between West Hartford Center and Enfield at rush hour, Waze will inevitably route you through Bloomfield and the Park Ave exit. That averages ~25 minutes between the center and I-91. You’d average 90 minutes per day commuting to Enfield.

It would be quicker to commute from Northampton Ma most of the time. I’d take a hard look at that as an option. Springfield is an economic wasteland so it doesn’t have as bad a rush hour as Hartford. The lane drop in Longmeadow is the only bad spot commuting home. If you ski and are into the outdoors, it’s also closer to that kind of thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 12:34 PM

34,597 posts, read 56,312,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Between West Hartford Center and Enfield at rush hour, Waze will inevitably route you through Bloomfield and the Park Ave exit. That averages ~25 minutes between the center and I-91. You’d average 90 minutes per day commuting to Enfield.

It would be quicker to commute from Northampton Ma most of the time. I’d take a hard look at that as an option. Springfield is an economic wasteland so it doesn’t have as bad a rush hour as Hartford. The lane drop in Longmeadow is the only bad spot commuting home. If you ski and are into the outdoors, it’s also closer to that kind of thing.
Why go so far? They could also look in Longmeadow which is directly north of Enfield. Much shorter commute. Jay

Old 04-07-2019, 04:05 AM

24,499 posts, read 17,928,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Why go so far? They could also look in Longmeadow which is directly north of Enfield. Much shorter commute. Jay
Because it’s a single 30-something woman looking to live somewhere with a pulse. Longmeadow is a total snooze small professional bedroom town. It’s only 15,000 people. There’s nothing there. You’re not going to point a single woman at Springfield. If you’re looking at a big commute in traffic from West Hartford, you’d might as well look at the 5 miles longer but usually quicker drive time commute from Northampton.

Northampton is twice the population of Longmeadow and it has Smith College with all the other colleges across the river. People come to the town center from surrounding towns. Longmeadow is very insular and is all about keeping the unwashed masses to the north out. I lived over the river in Suffield next to Enfield for a bit 20+ years ago. I lived in Northampton. My girlfriend lives in West Hartford. If my job put me in Enfield, I’d pick Northampton over West Hartford. The only thing that would give me pause is the Springfield viaduct commute.

Old 04-07-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Because it’s a single 30-something woman looking to live somewhere with a pulse. Longmeadow is a total snooze small professional bedroom town. It’s only 15,000 people. There’s nothing there. You’re not going to point a single woman at Springfield. If you’re looking at a big commute in traffic from West Hartford, you’d might as well look at the 5 miles longer but usually quicker drive time commute from Northampton.

Northampton is twice the population of Longmeadow and it has Smith College with all the other colleges across the river. People come to the town center from surrounding towns. Longmeadow is very insular and is all about keeping the unwashed masses to the north out. I lived over the river in Suffield next to Enfield for a bit 20+ years ago. I lived in Northampton. My girlfriend lives in West Hartford. If my job put me in Enfield, I’d pick Northampton over West Hartford. The only thing that would give me pause is the Springfield viaduct commute.
It is 30 miles from Northhampton MA to Enfield but only 26 miles from West Hartford to Enfield. Living in Northhampton would require the OP to commute through Springfield while from West Hartford, it would be easy to avoid going through Hartford. Springfield has a lot traffic congestion during rush hour that would add time to their commute. Though very nice and lively, I would not recommend the OP live in Northhampton. Again, I would recommend the OP live as close as possible to their job in order to minimize their commute. JMHO, Jay

Old 04-07-2019, 12:53 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,705,044 times
No need to go to Northampton, unless, possibly, if you're gay, especially a gay woman. Hartford = high crime rate. West Hartford is safe, lively, liberal, but more expensive. Better to live farther up I91 in your case. Pretty much anywhere between Longmeadow, MA and Bloomfield, CT along the highway, even somewhere on the East side of the river near 84, 384, and 291 would probably work, although you'd run into the outskirts of Hartford-bound traffic if you're along 384 and 84 heading towards Hartford in order to get to 291. Remember, you would be doing a reverse commute from south of Enfield to Enfield, so traffic won't be that bad.

You can definitely afford a small house in any of the areas I mentioned, but I don't know if you want to buy without knowing the area well. Maybe it would be better to rent a small house or a town house for a year at first.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:37 PM

36,853 posts, read 38,725,460 times
Does Springfield have some good neighborhoods? I've never been.

Old 04-07-2019, 02:37 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,772,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca2006 View Post
Thank you both for your replies. I do have to think about that. I will have 2 weeks to search for apartments.

Will it be better/cheaper if I buy something? Is so which areas should I target ? If I buy, I would prefer areas which has high resale value. 30 min commute I can handle in case I buy. I don't want to go beyond $300000 and would prefer a town home or condo with 2 bed and 2 bath.

Thanks.
Unless you plan on going out every night for dinner or partying I would forget about West Hartford and live as close to your job as possible. Do the partying / social stuff on the weekends.

At the very least you should live north of Hartford so you don't have to drive thru Hartford.

One place that is decent is River Bend in Windsor Exit 38 off i-91. There is a small shopping center across the street with a grocery store, bank, pizza, subway, buffalo wild wings, gas station. You can walk to these if you want. River bend is a mix of renters and owners.

https://www.apartments.com/rivers-be...or-ct/frrtnwv/

Windsor itself has a little downtown area with more restaurants, post office, pharmacy, hair salon, etc. About a 3 minute drive from River bend.

After you learn more about the area then consider buying something.

Old 04-07-2019, 04:49 PM

4,474 posts, read 6,718,600 times
Windsor Station Apartments have a number of young professionals. Many hop on the bus or train to commute to Hartford. I walk by the Windsor train station at least twice a day. I have talked to many people taking CT Rail. More and more people are using it everyday. I have talked to some young people taking it to NYC and DC. It's a great resource as is Bradley International Airport 10 minutes away.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:50 PM

16 posts, read 27,658 times
Northampton is not a bad suggestion at all. There’s all types of stuff going on there all the time, in addition to having great bars and restaurants. I travel there for work several times a year and meet all sorts of cool and interesting people from all over

Old 04-09-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitey1 View Post
Northampton is not a bad suggestion at all. There’s all types of stuff going on there all the time, in addition to having great bars and restaurants. I travel there for work several times a year and meet all sorts of cool and interesting people from all over
The commute to Enfield would not be good. As I said it is 30 miles and the OP would have to drive through Springfield which has traffic. Not worth it IMHO but the OP should certainly check visit there for fun. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut