Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 01:43 PM

24,509 posts, read 17,979,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It is 30 miles from Northhampton MA to Enfield but only 26 miles from West Hartford to Enfield. Living in Northhampton would require the OP to commute through Springfield while from West Hartford, it would be easy to avoid going through Hartford. Springfield has a lot traffic congestion during rush hour that would add time to their commute. Though very nice and lively, I would not recommend the OP live in Northhampton. Again, I would recommend the OP live as close as possible to their job in order to minimize their commute. JMHO, Jay

Yeah. You'd have to drive up North Main Street to Cigna in Bloomfield and then head east to pick up Park Ave. In the morning commute, that's school traffic plus lots of traffic lights. Easily 25 minutes to get to I-91 and often 30+ minutes. Then 13 miles up I-91 to Enfield. The Springfield Viaduct would be much quicker most days and you have alternate route options west of the river or up Route 5 east of the river from Enfield on those busy afternoons when Connecticut is driving to Vermont.

I've lived in Northampton, Suffield briefly near the 190 bridge, and my girlfriend lives in West Hartford. Working in Enfield, I know what I'd pick. Enfield is "hell no!" Longmeadow is a total snooze. If I'm doing that drive to live somewhere with a pulse, I'd much rather be doing it from Northampton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 04:42 PM

1,678 posts, read 1,109,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
No need to go to Northampton, unless, possibly, if you're gay, especially a gay woman. Hartford = high crime rate. West Hartford is safe, lively, liberal, but more expensive. Better to live farther up I91 in your case. Pretty much anywhere between Longmeadow, MA and Bloomfield, CT along the highway, even somewhere on the East side of the river near 84, 384, and 291 would probably work, although you'd run into the outskirts of Hartford-bound traffic if you're along 384 and 84 heading towards Hartford in order to get to 291. Remember, you would be doing a reverse commute from south of Enfield to Enfield, so traffic won't be that bad.

You can definitely afford a small house in any of the areas I mentioned, but I don't know if you want to buy without knowing the area well. Maybe it would be better to rent a small house or a town house for a year at first.
Northampton seems like a pretty nice place to live whether you're gay or straight. Especially if you love live music. The Calvin Theater, The Iron Horse. All else being equal, I'd take it over West Hartford--which is basically restaurants, restaurants, and more restaurants.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:15 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yeah. You'd have to drive up North Main Street to Cigna in Bloomfield and then head east to pick up Park Ave. In the morning commute, that's school traffic plus lots of traffic lights. Easily 25 minutes to get to I-91 and often 30+ minutes. Then 13 miles up I-91 to Enfield. The Springfield Viaduct would be much quicker most days and you have alternate route options west of the river or up Route 5 east of the river from Enfield on those busy afternoons when Connecticut is driving to Vermont.
I'd say yes to Northampton for a Springfield commute. But Enfield is kind of far, and the drive would include navigating the lane drops around downtown Springfield. For a small number of months, I commuted from the Hartford Golf Club area to Springfield. That was torture, even with the straight-ish shot to 218 via Blue Hills or Granby Avenues. The problem was I-91 more than the approaches on either end.

So I would also vote No on West Hartford to Enfield. I guess I like the Windsor idea the best. There are some things to do there.

West Hartford works much, much better for a simple commute to the Farmington area or to downtown Hartford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut