Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 07:18 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Massachusetts has a $15 minimum wage coming and it has tolls. Market Basket is the dominant grocery store chain in the eastern half of the state. It's non-union. The employees like working there. They have competitive compensation and benefits. They like the owner/management to the point where they went on strike a couple of years ago because another family member took control and was going to sell it to a giant corporation. The other corporate-owned grocery store chains in the region have had a huge wave of store closures. Market Basket beats them on price, service, and quality.

This is all about lousy ownership.
I agree. They put profit over service. Once a company does that it spirals downward which Stop & Shop seems to be doing. Thousands of little cuts here and there have affected the overall shopping experience. Walmart gets around this by offering low prices. I doubt Stop & Shop can do that. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 07:30 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree. They put profit over service. Once a company does that it spirals downward which Stop & Shop seems to be doing. Thousands of little cuts here and there have affected the overall shopping experience. Walmart gets around this by offering low prices. I doubt Stop & Shop can do that. Jay
Stop & Stop was going down the drain long before this strike. It seems like a horrible place to work. The store nearest me never has enough cashiers, and it's impossible to get checked out. I finally stopped going.

I keep reading in the paper that people are being arrested for walking out of there with merchandise they haven't paid for. I almost don't blame them. It seems sometimes that stealing is the only way to get out of that store with anything.

I really question the wisdom of any business that makes it very difficult for customers to buy from them. That seems like a recipe for extinction, regardless of the elaborate justifications or excuses that they would no doubt provide for the situation. A smart business would understand that it is penny wise and pound foolish to cut off the customers' way of paying for their merchandise. They're going the same way as other chains like the Grand Union that are no more.

Last edited by dazzleman; 04-14-2019 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-14-2019, 12:10 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
The strikers, some of which were my former coworkers, were by the doors at the Berlin store (store #614) today, too. Only the pharmacy and in-store People's United Bank were open. Having said that, we all saw one lady bringing a carriage full of bagged groceries to her car around 11:15. How did she get them? Even with self-scan, I doubt management was letting anybody shop.

I think the Berlin store has some type of electronic device that enables you to scan your groceries as you put them in the cart. Then you pay when leaving, no check out required. I think an employee has to check the receipt.

The devices are on the wall next to the bakery dept when you walk in. I rarely see people use them though.

I have also saw a robot at the Berlin store. He just got in the way.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
$15 hour minimum wage, which is on its way in CT + TOLLS coming all over the state, plus the fact S&s actually offers *pensions*, plus the 5 weeks vacation demanded = the absolute decimation of and death nail in the coffin for either S&S in its entirety; or at a minimum, the death of the “concept” of a S&S full-time employee.

It’s at a lager head, and there is no doubt the S&S full-time employee will lose either way. Writing is on the wall.

They will go the way of the dodo bird

I'll bet Ahold's European subs are unionized.

Film at 11 ?

Old 04-14-2019, 12:48 PM

898 posts, read 597,716 times
At this point I feel bad for the workers. Fine if they want to strike and all, but right now the only ones getting paid are their union bosses who encouraged them to strike. Most of these people are paycheck to paycheck and can't afford the loss of wages. 4 days now? The full timer working at $15 per hour has lost $480 in wages that are not coming back. Another $120 tomorrow. It's a war of attrition between the hourly's and upper management. The store manager's I'm sure are still getting paid even with the stores closed. They probably still have to show up and put in their shifts. It's the cashiers, the deli people, the produce people, the seafood people, etc. On the sidewalk with their signs, chanting, and the only ones not getting paid.

Old 04-14-2019, 12:52 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I think the Berlin store has some type of electronic device that enables you to scan your groceries as you put them in the cart. Then you pay when leaving, no check out required. I think an employee has to check the receipt.

The devices are on the wall next to the bakery dept when you walk in. I rarely see people use them though.

Every Stop & Shop has those devices. Have had them for years now. Some use them and bag as they go along. Some don’t. I see quite a few use them at our store but it is not for everyone. Jay

Old 04-14-2019, 12:54 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post

You can scan with your phone too. I've done it in the past but reception is spotty so I gave up. You can go through any checkout, self or manned, to pay. Unless the app has been upgraded to pay within the app. I've never had my receipt checked. It's not like BJs where someone is at the exit stopping you.

Old 04-14-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
At this point I feel bad for the workers. Fine if they want to strike and all, but right now the only ones getting paid are their union bosses who encouraged them to strike. Most of these people are paycheck to paycheck and can't afford the loss of wages. 4 days now? The full timer working at $15 per hour has lost $480 in wages that are not coming back. Another $120 tomorrow. It's a war of attrition between the hourly's and upper management. The store manager's I'm sure are still getting paid even with the stores closed. They probably still have to show up and put in their shifts. It's the cashiers, the deli people, the produce people, the seafood people, etc. On the sidewalk with their signs, chanting, and the only ones not getting paid.

The non union employees most likely can file for unemployment if mgmt won't let them work. Union members usually receive "strike wages" in exchange for picketing. I don't know what a strike wage would be though.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:36 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Not the case in Milford, and AFAIK, Danbury and Orange. The new Shoprite’s are aesthetically nicer than S&S.
Absolutely. Shop Rite Milford is very good. It will be around a long time. I truly doubt , even w/o labor issues, S & S lasts long.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:53 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Profit is what business is about, properly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut