Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 01:33 PM

215 posts, read 148,019 times

Advertisements

https://www.wfsb.com/news/stop-shop-...c1fb903e1.html

I guess getting a massive tax break last year combined with their 2 billion profit wasn't enough for Stop & Shop. They want taxpayers to foot the bill for the tax break, and pay for its employees so they can survive.

Maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't get a tax break (paid for by taxpayers) if you "can't" afford to pay a living wage to your employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 01:54 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,829,691 times
To get it out of the way early, unions are no longer needed in today;s society. They exist to fatten union bosses and donate to Democrats.

This is called sarcasm for those who are confused.

Stop and Shop is owned by a European company named "Ahold" Their profits are being sent off shore. They are not a "New England company"

Stop and Shop closed a warehouse which was also unionized in North Haven some years ago.

ShopRite is unionized as well to my knowledge. So the company negotiators are incorrect when they say

"Stop and Shop says its employees are some of the highest paid food retailers in the region and the changes are needed to compete with other supermarkets that are mostly nonunion"

A new Shoprite is opening up across the street from the Stop and Shop in Cromwell. Too bad it wasn't open already.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:01 PM

25 posts, read 28,821 times
Too bad Wegmans can't sneak into those empty Stop&Shops tonight and take over.

Old 04-11-2019, 02:34 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grayTJY6 View Post
Too bad Wegmans can't sneak into those empty Stop&Shops tonight and take over.
Yeah, this.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:54 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,143,716 times
Are they a publicly traded company? If so, their profits must of course eternally grow if the CEO doesn't want to get sacked by activist (I prefer predatory) investors. Workers must suffer so fat cat investors can get rich without lifting a finger!

Old 04-11-2019, 07:03 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
I prefer Wal Mart for groceries anyway. Stop & Shop does charge higher prices, no doubt partly to pay for employee pension costs. .

IMO, in the not distant future, this chain will end up closing, and the employees will never find a retailer with Stop & Shop benefit levels again.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:56 PM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Are they a publicly traded company? If so, their profits must of course eternally grow if the CEO doesn't want to get sacked by activist (I prefer predatory) investors. Workers must suffer so fat cat investors can get rich without lifting a finger!
Yes, but not on a US exchange.

"Stop & Shop has been a wholly owned subsidiary of the Dutch supermarket operator Ahold since 1995"

"Ahold Delhaize shares are listed[2] on Euronext Amsterdam and Brussels (ticker: AD)."

(Quotes from Wikipedia)

Old 04-11-2019, 09:30 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
DW called to tell me about the strike early this afternoon. She went to our local store and saw the picket lines so she, along with everyone else in town, went over to Shop Rite. She was mad because she had a bunch of coupons Stop & Shop had sent this week. She could not use them, nor could she get points on her Stop & Shop card for gas discounts.

To be honest I had not been food shopping at our Stop & Shop in a while. The store was recently remodeled and I must say they did a horrible job. The aisles are dark and narrow. Some aisles have columns in the middle of them making it even harder to get around. Then the set up displays of items in the aisles so it is even worse. On top of that, prices weren’t that great.

I think Stop & Shop May need to bring in new management because the current ones are pretty bad. This strike may be bad for business when shoppers start going to other stores and realize there are better options. The only thing Stop & Shop has is location. Their stores by far have the best locations of the major food retailers in Connecticut. They count on the fact that food shoppers tend to shop at the supermarket closest to their house. Will see if that remains true after this strike. Jay

Old 04-11-2019, 09:57 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I wish our local Stop & Shop would be replaced by a nice new Aldi. Wegman's is okay but they're so big and I want to get in and out asap.

As it is, I go out of my way to go to Shop Rite for cheaper prices and a store that's easier to navigate. S&S does everything they can think of to manipulate us into buying things we don't need, such as sticking displays right in the middle of the aisle so you can't miss them. It's annoying.

One time I kept track of prices for the same item in S&S vs Shop Rite and S&S was always 50 cents to a dollar or more for the identical item. It adds up. I've hated them for so many years! I wish they would go out of business.

Old 04-12-2019, 05:17 AM

60 posts, read 54,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
ShopRite is unionized as well to my knowledge. So the company negotiators are incorrect when they say.
Only 10 of the 26 stores in CT are unionized :Cromwell, Hamden, West Haven, Milford, East Haven, Stratford, Enfield, West Hartford, Canton, and Orange. Six of those of those are owned by the Garafalo Family. There are many stores like Derby, Southington, East Hartford, Norwich, Bristol and Manchester are not Unionized.

There are other places to buy groceries like Price Chopper, Walmart, Aldi, Whole Foods and Price Rite.

I have been shopping at Price Chopper more and more. They have a nice meat counter where you can pick out your burger or steak without having to buy it pre-packaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut