Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2019, 06:20 AM

21,656 posts, read 31,274,367 times

Advertisements

Stop and Shop has to be one of the worst run grocery stores in the country. Their stores are dingy, produce subpar at best, prices sky high, employees miserable, etc. Hopefully this strike will get corporate to pay attention. If not, I hope they fold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2019, 06:24 AM

487 posts, read 538,464 times
What is the current comp package vs the proposed from each side?

Old 04-12-2019, 06:30 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,565,611 times
They had the money to remodel the greater Hartford stores and waste money on "Marty", as my Berlin picture (store #614) showed a while back:

Still talking to a few Facebook friends that work for the Evil Ampersand (TM), a.k.a. Stop & Shop. One friend lives in New Britain, yet she drives to one of the three stores in Waterbury. Yep!

I wonder if this will affect Ahold USA's other northeast division: Delhaize and their Hannaford supermarkets in northern New England (base is Scarborough, ME), northeast MA and upstate NY.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:51 AM

21,793 posts, read 28,166,701 times
S&S is garbage, and their litigious nature blocked Stew Leonard’s in Orange.

I haven’t shopped at one in maybe 7 years.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:18 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,190,182 times
Welcome to Ct. Its a great place to do business!!
Most of the competitors pay less and are not union. You complain about Stop & Shops higher prices.....how do you think they pay union goodies?
"Id happily pay more if i knew the employees were being paid more" is a big fat lie. Not for everyone, but most.

Human nature is what it is. We all want the best deal....for us first. Accept that.

Obamacare wrecked health insurance. Most every company has done what they are doing. Passing on costs.

Personally i love the store. Get my banking done, get my gas points, buy whats on sale....my family likes Trader joes. Its all good

Old 04-12-2019, 08:45 AM

34,978 posts, read 57,065,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Stop and Shop has to be one of the worst run grocery stores in the country. Their stores are dingy, produce subpar at best, prices sky high, employees miserable, etc. Hopefully this strike will get corporate to pay attention. If not, I hope they fold.
I never found our Stop & Shop or any of the others I have been to, dingy or to have subpar produce. They have always been very clean and bright and the produce is always very good IMHO. The prices have not been the lowest but not the highest either. The remodeled store in Glastonbury however is now dark and very poorly laid out. I don't think they could have done a better job at making food shopping a miserable experience though. Jay

Old 04-12-2019, 08:55 AM

21,656 posts, read 31,274,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I never found our Stop & Shop or any of the others I have been to, dingy or to have subpar produce. They have always been very clean and bright and the produce is always very good IMHO. The prices have not been the lowest but not the highest either. The remodeled store in Glastonbury however is now dark and very poorly laid out. I don't think they could have done a better job at making food shopping a miserable experience though. Jay
It’s a subpar shopping experience all around IMO.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:03 AM

60 posts, read 54,459 times
Hopefully, S&S is working with local soup kitchens to take the expiring meat, produce, dairy and bakery products. No sense letting it all go to waste.

Old 04-12-2019, 10:26 AM

6,594 posts, read 4,998,312 times
Quote:
To be honest I had not been food shopping at our Stop & Shop in a while. The store was recently remodeled and I must say they did a horrible job. The aisles are dark and narrow. Some aisles have columns in the middle of them making it even harder to get around. Then the set up displays of items in the aisles so it is even worse. On top of that, prices weren’t that great.
I'm not sure which Glastonbury one you go to, but I completely agree about the damn columns! They must've added one or two rows and it skewed everything else. I don't think the one near East Hartford is a dark store though, so maybe you mean Oakwood. I haven't been in that one for over a year and that was around the time they were finishing the reno.

Aldi's near me is unfortunately a dump. I do like their pork so I really wish they'd clean up that store!

I really loved Shaws. I have not been thrilled with Shop Rite that replaced Shaws in East Hartford. I constantly find flies in the baked good cabinet and the guy who stocked it didn't speak or read english, so he put them out wherever. Nothing like getting a nut muffin from the cinnamon chip section.

For what we buy, Stop and Shop has been a bit less and the gas points are a bonus. We go to Shop Rite now and then but it's not a regular stop for us anymore.

Last edited by WouldLoveTo; 04-12-2019 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: edited as I misread a prior post

Old 04-12-2019, 10:46 AM

9,174 posts, read 13,273,667 times
Quote:
I agree with Jay. At least when it comes to the Stop N Shops on Long Island.

Not all but the majority of Stop N Shops are pretty nice good sized supermarkets. They do have a few smaller older locations that could use a remodel but the majority are pretty big, well lit and up to date.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut