Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 06:23 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,351,974 times

Advertisements

https://patch.com/connecticut/trumbu...ign=newsletter

The top ten states in the country to raise a family are:

1. Minnesota
2. Massachusetts
3. North Dakota
4. Vermont
5. New Hampshire
6. New York
7. New Jersey
8. Nebraska
9. Connecticut
10. Washington

Most of them "higher taxed" states. It takes a village.

Connecticut ranked 26th for fun, ninth for safety, second in education, fifth in affordability, and tenth for socio-economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2020, 11:12 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,631,091 times
Eh. I think there are too many microcosms within any given state to make this sort of generalized ranking useful. People have to decide on individual communities when they move, and the destination state is often already determined by work location.

Old 01-14-2020, 12:06 PM

996 posts, read 379,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Eh. I think there are too many microcosms within any given state to make this sort of generalized ranking useful. People have to decide on individual communities when they move, and the destination state is often already determined by work location.
Well there is some truth to that. However if you are, or have been involved in any specific activities and or “ industries”, if you will , that cater to children you may be aware that many activities are not limited to individual communities. In fact the trend has even been to cross state borders.The recent Volleyball Tournament held in Hartford last week is a prime example. Players came from all over the Northeast . It was a great plus for Hartford, filing hotels and places to eat. A great boost for the local economy.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:51 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
CT is 5th in Violent Crime? Wow if that's true ...

Old 01-15-2020, 10:00 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,351,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
CT is 5th in Violent Crime? Wow if that's true ...
Raising a Family in Connecticut (1=Best; 25=Avg.):

21st – % of Families with Young Kids
8th – Infant-Mortality Rate
15th – Median Family Salary (Adjusted for Cost of Living)
5th – Violent-Crime Rate
13th – % of Families in Poverty
29th – Housing Affordability
21st – Separation & Divorce Rate

We are the 5th BEST (or safest) in violent crime. But I thought the same thing as you at first.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:30 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Raising a Family in Connecticut (1=Best; 25=Avg.):

21st – % of Families with Young Kids
8th – Infant-Mortality Rate
15th – Median Family Salary (Adjusted for Cost of Living)
5th – Violent-Crime Rate
13th – % of Families in Poverty
29th – Housing Affordability
21st – Separation & Divorce Rate

We are the 5th BEST (or safest) in violent crime. But I thought the same thing as you at first.
Ah. Ok. I was gonna say lol that didn't seem right … thanks

Old 02-03-2020, 11:15 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,500 times
Default Shouldn't "lower taxed" states be better for raising a family?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
https://patch.com/connecticut/trumbu...ign=newsletter

The top ten states in the country to raise a family are:

1. Minnesota
2. Massachusetts
3. North Dakota
4. Vermont
5. New Hampshire
6. New York
7. New Jersey
8. Nebraska
9. Connecticut
10. Washington

Most of them "higher taxed" states. It takes a village.
Why are most of the states on this "higher taxed" states?

I would logically appear to me that "lower taxed" states would be better places to raise children. With lower taxes, people can keep more of the money that they earn, so parents would have more to spend on their family and children. Lower-taxed states generally have better business climates, which means that the economies grow faster, parents can get better jobs and earn more money. Also, in a lower-taxed state homes would more likely to be less expensive, so it would be less difficult for a family to purchase a home.

Also, most of the above states are northern states with cold winters and generally poor weather. Wouldn't it more advantageous to raise a familiy in a place with a better climate, providing better opportunities to participate in sports and outdoor activities?

Several of the above states are growing very slowly or actually losing population. If such states are supposedly better for raising famiilies, then why are more families moving out of those states than moving into them?

Old 02-04-2020, 05:56 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,631,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I am curious to know if you have a top 5 in mind and what metrics you would use. It sounds like low taxes & nice weather, but also job growth, outdoor recreation and population growth would be the results you are looking for. Which states fit?
CT does well on things like public education and medical care.

Old 02-04-2020, 06:58 AM

6,918 posts, read 3,750,537 times
Quote:

I would logically appear to me that "lower taxed" states would be better places to raise children. With lower taxes, people can keep more of the money that they earn, so parents would have more to spend on their family and children. Lower-taxed states generally have better business climates, which means that the economies grow faster, parents can get better jobs and earn more money. Also, in a lower-taxed state homes would more likely to be less expensive, so it would be less difficult for a family to purchase a home.

Also, most of the above states are northern states with cold winters and generally poor weather. Wouldn't it more advantageous to raise a familiy in a place with a better climate, providing better opportunities to participate in sports and outdoor activities?

Several of the above states are growing very slowly or actually losing population. If such states are supposedly better for raising famiilies, then why are more families moving out of those states than moving into them?
You haven't exposed Area 51 top secret information here. Everyone knows lower taxed states have lower COL.
Everyones different in what they do. For me, job confines me to the two highest taxed states in the US.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:19 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:

Your logic is flawed. Lower taxed states generally have poorer performing schools and are lower rated for healthcare. These are infinitely more important to families than low taxes.

Also remember that despite the media hype, the higher taxed states, including Connecticut, have great economies with well paying jobs, unemployment rates that are commonly considered full employment and high Real Gross Domestic Product and rates of Disposable Income. Those too are more important for quality of life than growth. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut