Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 05:53 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
It’s an off topic question but a reasonable one. Like any nationality, I think these posters are looking for people they can relate to. Remember many are moving here without knowing anyone or anything about this state. They also want to be sure they have access to foods they are familiar with and use regularly. It must be very difficult for them and we need to be as helpful and informative as possible. Jay
Thanks for fielding this one fairly, Jay. As an immigrant myself, I'm sensitive to questions like the one posed as to why Indians seek each other out, because it comes across as thinly veiled racism. You've hit the nail on the head with your reply. The other practical issues are the proximity of ethnic grocery stores (e.g. Patel Brothers) and temples/mosques/gurudwaras. These tend to be located close to where Indian communities are clustered. Not to mention that Indian immigrants place a high value on education, so it's likely that if they have settled in a particular community, that the schools there must be decent by inference.

So it's not necessarily Indians not wanting to assimilate, but rather that concentrations of Indian immigrants serve as "markers" for amenities that they consider essential for daily life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 06:35 PM

417 posts, read 600,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
I understand about moving into an area without knowing much about it. But my curiosity stems from so many posts are specific to Indian communities as I seldom see anything similar posted about other races and nationalities. There are immigrants from all over but based on posts on CD, mostly Indians are seeking communities only where other Indians live.

Indians have a strong sense of community and are a well represented minority group. There isn't much else to read into here.

There are very few, if any, exclusively Indian communities in the US. When users ask about "Indian communities", they are typically looking for areas which have a higher concentration of Indians (not places that are solely Indian), largely for the reasons Jay and htfdcolt mentioned.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:17 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Thanks for fielding this one fairly, Jay. As an immigrant myself, I'm sensitive to questions like the one posed as to why Indians seek each other out, because it comes across as thinly veiled racism. You've hit the nail on the head with your reply. The other practical issues are the proximity of ethnic grocery stores (e.g. Patel Brothers) and temples/mosques/gurudwaras. These tend to be located close to where Indian communities are clustered. Not to mention that Indian immigrants place a high value on education, so it's likely that if they have settled in a particular community, that the schools there must be decent by inference.

So it's not necessarily Indians not wanting to assimilate, but rather that concentrations of Indian immigrants serve as "markers" for amenities that they consider essential for daily life.
I appreciate the feedback. It is not just Indians that seek out their own nationalities. That is why you have so many Polish people settling in or near New Britain or Hungarians in Fairfield.

With that said we now need to return to the topic of the OP and respond to the question originally asked. JayCT, Moderator

Old 05-06-2019, 08:52 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I had issued a warning to return to the topic of the original post yet several people continued to post off topic posts. I have deleted those posts and again am warning people to only respond to the topic of the OP. All other posts will be deleted. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut