Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 05:44 PM

3 posts, read 6,974 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Does anyone out there commute between these two cities(Manchester CT to Boston MA). I want to hear how long this journey would take in a peak hour commute & whether many people do this ?

If this is possible, What are the available options..

Thanks in advance !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 06:10 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Boston is almost 95 miles from Manchester, CT. I doubt there are many people that do that commute. It would be kind of brutal to do every day. You are likely talking 2 hours or more each way during rush hour. Forget about doing it in inclement weather. I would consider moving closer to Boston to keep the commute to a more reasonable time. JMHO, Jay

Old 05-21-2019, 07:22 PM

712 posts, read 541,990 times
Might be a better idea to drive to Worcester, than take commuter train from there to Boston.

Old 05-21-2019, 07:34 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandramani View Post
Hi All,

Does anyone out there commute between these two cities(Manchester CT to Boston MA). I want to hear how long this journey would take in a peak hour commute & whether many people do this ?

Thanks in advance !!!
Also...depends on where in the Boston area. If it's the I-495 belt, that's long but doable from Manchester. If it's the I-95/128 belt, or downtown Boston, that's pure torture.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:39 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
Might be a better idea to drive to Worcester, than take commuter train from there to Boston.
This would be the best approach, in my view. I used to do that twice a week from Woodstock. It would still be a long commute! If you figure a 1 hr drive on 84 to Worcester, 1 hr by train, 20 min within Boston, it’s nearly a 5-hr round trip.

Old 05-22-2019, 03:49 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
I would not recommend that commute. I just did that trip last Thursday from Arlington. Rt 2 and the Mass Pike were pure torture. It was 2 1/2 hours of absolutely horrible traffic.

The Boston area is extremely congested for driving. Even in the Boston area a Thursday morning drive from Arlington to Jamaica Plain (10 miles) took me over 1 1/2 hrs leaving at 7:15 in the morning. The congestion and accessibility is a big issue in the area right now.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:24 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
I knew a girl in college who went from Hartford to Boston twice a week for an internship. . Can't imagine everyday. Maybe if you leave at 10am and come back at 8 pm. The drive is really only 1hr35 no traffic now that the toll booths are down.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:26 AM

230 posts, read 220,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandramani View Post
Hi All,

Thanks in advance !!!
As a native New Englander, I strongly advise against this. Whether you just drive or do a car/train combination from one the Metro West suburbs, your commute will be long, miserable, and expensive.

Two exceptions might be: 1) if you could commute up to Boston no more than twice a week, or; 2) your job is not in Boston proper, but in a Metro West suburb like Westborough, Marlborough, or Framingham (no further east than Framingham).

On a side note, Boston's traffic has become atrocious over the past 20 years. It was manageable in the late 1990s; those days are long past. Today, people continue to pour into the region while the obsolete transportation infrastructure continues to decay.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:27 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,834,313 times
Sure everyone drives cars in the US, they're cheap, easy to get, gas is cheap, highways all over the place, parking... Even so, there's a limit and driving from Manchester Connecticut to Boston every day is well beyond the limit of human endurance. Take the advice you got on the Mass forum and look there .

Old 05-22-2019, 11:42 AM

712 posts, read 541,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
This would be the best approach, in my view. I used to do that twice a week from Woodstock. It would still be a long commute! If you figure a 1 hr drive on 84 to Worcester, 1 hr by train, 20 min within Boston, it’s nearly a 5-hr round trip.
I used to do that 5 hours round trip from New Haven county to Manhattan for a year. Not lot of fun. but it was OK.

If the train from Springfield to Boston is realized in the future, then it might be a lot better. Worcester is still too far away on car. In general, train riding is a lot better experience than driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut