Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 03:38 PM

123 posts, read 233,330 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I just wanted to ask if anyone else has noticed a phenomenon my husband has observed at our local ymca. He will go into the men's locker room, and encounter someone there, completely naked. Not someone changing after showering or getting into their trunks to go swimming. No, these people stay naked. They sit on the chairs provided in the locker rooms with their naked butts directly on the chair. They seem to have no intention to get dressed. They sit and read magazines. Is this a usual thing? My husband and i thought locker rooms were for showering, changing and storing your belongings. He reports that this happens almost every time we go there. He grew up in Europe, where there are nude beaches, and he is not a prude. I don't like the idea of taking my son to the locker rooms there if there are creepy naked people there who spend long minutes flaunting their assets in front of everyone. Sorry, but that's just us. Has anyone else encountered this? Thanks we are in Hamden.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 04:13 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
I feel like that’s always been a thing.

Old 06-11-2019, 08:39 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I feel like that’s always been a thing.
Lounging naked in an open locker room has always been a thing? No. Lol.

That’s odd. I did personal training in CT, including YMCA, and that’s not normal. Sure, being naked to change adjacent to the lockers is one thing, or being naked in a steam room/sauna, but to hang out naked? Eh. That’s not normal.

At the same time, I’m certain it’s not against any rules.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:09 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

That’s odd. I did personal training in CT, including YMCA, and that’s not normal. Sure, being naked to change adjacent to the lockers is one thing, or being naked in a steam room/sauna, but to hang out naked? Eh. That’s not normal.

I dunno, growing up at our local YMCA everyone was strutting nude around the locker room, or chilling on the bench with everything hanging out. This was both in the men's and women's locker rooms (yes, I was VERY little for the latter). I hated it as a kid.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:17 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I dunno, growing up at our local YMCA everyone was strutting nude around the locker room, or chilling on the bench with everything hanging out. This was both in the men's and women's locker rooms (yes, I was VERY little for the latter). I hated it as a kid.
Yeah, it’s definitely weird. I can’t blame the OP. I wouldn’t want my kids around that weirdness either.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:42 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,146,129 times
I don't know if I've seen it to quite that extreme but some guys do like to walk around completely naked, get on the scale to weigh themselves, carry on conversations........

I don't get it.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:05 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Maybe they’re just “dressed to impress” looking for a date.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:37 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,629,074 times
I think some guys go out of their way to prove how secure they are, and that it doesn’t bother them to be naked. But I have not seen the “lounging” you describe ... only people who are taking their time to get dressed.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:42 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

I have to take issue with this; Locker room camaraderie (a phrase you don't hear much anymore) has been around since the development of modern, but shared bathing facilities more than a century ago, and that, in turn, was an outgrowth of the expansion of daily life linked to institutions -- the YMCA playing a prominent role in that.

I was born in 1949, and entered junior high school in 1961 -- and a little unsure of myself because of some physical issues; endured more than a little bullying in the early days, but eventually learned to fit in -- every man is unique in some way, but everybody's still got the same "equipment" -- or "junk", as some of you ladies like to say .

And quite a few years have now passed since many indoor pools at high schools, colleges and "Y"s, particularly in the industrialized Northeast and Midwest, used to encourage nude swimming for all-male groups in windowless pools. About the only places where "open" showers -- rather than individual stalls -- are common anymore are military barracks and (so I've been told) fraternity houses.

I've been swimming laps as a life sport ever since a better-educated, and more-respectful college environment put an end to my insecurities about exposure; my local "Y" is a good example of changing attitudes. Most of us over age 45 or so don't think anything of gathering around the TV set in the men's locker room clad in just a towel (but still covered up "where it counts" for the most part)-- and can't understand the "towel dances" perfomed by a lot of the twenty-somethings.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 06-12-2019 at 05:17 AM..

Old 06-12-2019, 06:02 AM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
^^

This. As a 50 something, I remember the old guys naked in the locker room and thought it a bit odd but not strange.

The following article had some good perspectives:

- in the old days, homosexuality was so far out of public view that it was impossible to actually be seen by one, today's younger generation are more cognizant of it and don't want to flaunt or be ogled
- back then, we all showered in a giant room unlike today where there are dedicated stalls
- younger generations are so focused on themselves, they don't talk to people face to face why would they stand naked in front of someone else
- older guys simply don't care anymore, after suffering losses it doesn't matter to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut