Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 07:34 AM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times

Advertisements

Crime is even lower now in some of these towns. For some reason you have to go to an individual crime page for each town on City Data to get the stats for 2017. Some places continue to drop, for instance:

New Haven 431
Milford 94.5

I read somewhere that a lot of the new construction in New Haven is occupied by boomers and retirees, and is part of what’s helping fueling the construction boom there. These are retirees that want a more urban and social experience. New Haven offers a ton of cultural and art outlets for meeting people of all ages. The bars tend to run a bit younger, but plenty attract a retiree aged crowd too. Crime isn’t as much of an issue in areas where you want want to rent. Rent has gotten high for desirable area new construction though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 07:44 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
It’s unrealistic to compare crime stats between states because what one state views as a felony, another does not. States classify crime differently.

Additionally, I’d caution the OP against comparing 2017 crime stats to 2018 crime stats. There was a hush hush reclassification of crime in CT, specifically with juvenile crime. Crime rates did not drop as much as people think. This is not to say CT is dangerous as the town’s being suggested here are probably some of the safest in the country (exception being New Haven, which is among the highest crime in the state).

Old 06-30-2019, 08:55 AM

251 posts, read 203,248 times
I agree with others who mentioned Old Saybrook- great coastal town and would meet your criteria.

Old 06-30-2019, 09:20 AM

514 posts, read 442,049 times
Branford looks nice but certainly isn't cheap! I just did a quick real estate search and saw this cute condo. The condo fees are almost $360 and real estate taxes almost $500. So even if you paid cash for your condo, you would still be paying around $1000 per month just in fees, and that doesn't include your utilities and all other taxes you will be paying in CT. Yes, the idea of living in a coastal town in CT sounds lovely. But yikes, it certainly isn't cheap. For retirees, that's a big chunk to pay every month.

https://www.redfin.com/CT/Branford/8...home/167142235

Old 06-30-2019, 09:23 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Branford looks nice but certainly isn't cheap! I just did a quick real estate search and saw this cute condo. The condo fees are almost $360 and real estate taxes almost $500. So even if you paid cash for your condo, you would still be paying around $1000 per month just in fees, and that doesn't include your utilities and all other taxes you will be paying in CT. Yes, the idea of living in a coastal town in CT sounds lovely. But yikes, it certainly isn't cheap. For retirees, that's a big chunk to pay every month.

That can be said for many condos in the state. Between taxes, utilities, and common fees, you’ll be paying quite a bit. CT isn’t a cheap retirement!

Old 06-30-2019, 10:18 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post

That one is on the water and I believe it might have boat docs. It is certainly one of the higher end condos in Branford but there are dozens of other lower end options there that are not so high.

This one in Guilford will make you have a heart attack lol. And it's not even on the water.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...c/pid_27021045

Here is one right on the water in Branford that is affordable.* The pool, beach and grounds are really nice. I have been into some of these. Here is a sold one bedroom for $157,000, common charges $343 and taxes of $3000. I put a bigger unit also so you can see the grounds, pool and beach.
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...f/pid_27289166
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...a/pid_28653815

*Affordable is subjective but for right on the water with a beach and pool that is pretty good.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:10 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
I forgot to mention if you buy your condo there is state senior tax relief and the towns have senior tax relief on top of that. The link below is from 2012 so you really need to go to a particular towns website to see the updated tax property relief from that town.
https://www.cga.ct.gov/2012/rpt/2012-R-0222.htm

Here is the one from the state.
https://portal.ct.gov/OPM/IGPP-MAIN/...Relief-Program

Old 06-30-2019, 01:17 PM

334 posts, read 263,647 times
Great condos! I LOVE the one in Guilford but wow---over the top pricing. It's a show stopper though.

Anyone have any info on Harbour Landing in New Haven? (harbourlandingct.com)
It looks awesome right on the water but I wonder about the neighborhood since its a gated community.
I'm getting really excited about coming back to CT and everyone's helpfulness reminds me of what I liked about it there.
Thank you. : )

Old 06-30-2019, 01:52 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsburghPatty View Post
Great condos! I LOVE the one in Guilford but wow---over the top pricing. It's a show stopper though.

Anyone have any info on Harbour Landing in New Haven? (harbourlandingct.com)
It looks awesome right on the water but I wonder about the neighborhood since its a gated community.
I'm getting really excited about coming back to CT and everyone's helpfulness reminds me of what I liked about it there.
Thank you. : )
That is New Haven's City Point neighborhood which is okay. Somewhat quite except for being close to I-95. There are a couple good restaurants there but not a lot else. Check out the taxes and HOA fees there. Both are very high (over $10,000 for taxes and almost $600 per month for HOA). I am not sure they are worth it but that is your personal decision. Jay

Old 06-30-2019, 02:14 PM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

I am 58, married but I still like to have good time like you. I live in Trumbull but I am looking into the New Haven area for retirement. I will most likely end up in Branford but Milford is an equally good choice. Branford is a little less hectic and less expensive than Milford. But they both have a beach laid back vibe.

My brother is a musician and I went to see him at a place in Milford during dinner hours (from about 5:00 to 8:30) at the Stonebridge Restaurant. It was really awesome for our age group and very fun. I am not positive how Branford is for night life for our age group but I think there is much less. I have only been there once at night time at a place called Pasta Cosi to see a friend in a duo. There might be more night life than I know. There are lots of condos in Branford so I believe there are more seniors.

I found a site called "CT data haven" and it has a map with the breakdown of 65+ age in each town projected by 2025.

Branford is going to be 31% over 65
Milford is going to be 25% over 65 (actually I think a lot of young families are moving to Milford because of it's reasonable housing prices and good schools)

My town of Trumbull has good schools and is very family oriented. It is going to have 24% over 65 which is closer to Milford. Even though Milford has more families I still think it would be very good for retirement. I have older cousins and friends in Milford and they want to stay there in retirement. In fact a friend of mine is looking to get into subsidized Milford senior housing and he said the wait is about 3-5 years. That is a crazy long time because Milford is so desirable for young and old alike.

My boss is single and near 55 (I don't know for sure but based on certain things I know about him I want to say early 50s) and lives in Milford and loves it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut