Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2019, 09:39 PM

15,261 posts, read 8,879,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I thought the state banned PLASTIC bags. Why are stores charging for paper bags then?
Initialy I was behind the effort of getting consumers in the habit of reusables, but I agree with CT Yank.
It's now morphed into a two-headed monster. A joint grab by both the state and the greedy corps like Banana Republic and their sh#tty clothing manufactured overseas by slave labour in Indonesia or God knows where.
Why are they charging for PAPER!
It's amazing that more people aren't asking that question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I've only been there a few times, I'm not sure on the plastic. I am happy to use the sturdy paper bag with handles though. Guess I am not cool lol
LOL. I have never actually bought anything at Trader Joe's. The best description I have ever heard of Trader Joe's is that it's a 7-Eleven for the upper class, which I agree with. But I have about a dozen of those heavy canvas TJ bags. My former landlord would buy them, and use them just one time, then throw them away. They seemed too good to just throw away, so I grabbed some them.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:53 AM

6,490 posts, read 4,893,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
All stores were using paper bags before plastic bags became common, for many good reasons. Them being cheaper and more durable, to name just two. Trader Joe's was no exception.
Your pic is incredibly recent. Plastic bags became common when - in the 80s? 90s? I moved out on my own in the 80s and remember it being easy to get paper still even though plastic was still there. I only used plastic for meats because they were messy and could leak through the paper. It seems to me that it was more the late 90s when plastic bags became the "norm" and it was harder to find paper in places other than Whole Foods.

I'm thinking WF and TJ used paper (and their own reusable bags) because they want to be perceived as more environmentally conscious than the chain grocery stores?

How about Stew Leonards? I haven't been there in years. I know I have plastic bags from them, I used one yesterday for litter. It was thick! But we often went for the meat specials so it makes sense we'd use plastic for that.

Quote:
LOL. I have never actually bought anything at Trader Joe's. The best description I have ever heard of Trader Joe's is that it's a 7-Eleven for the upper class, which I agree with. But I have about a dozen of those heavy canvas TJ bags. My former landlord would buy them, and use them just one time, then throw them away. They seemed too good to just throw away, so I grabbed some them.
I've only been to Manchester and only since last month. While housesitting a couple of years ago, I used their Tea Tree Tingle shampoo that was in the shower, liked it, and bought it a few times on Amazon. Last month I decided to pick up some more (I didn't know how incredibly overpriced their items are on Amazon!!) and bought a few other things too. I've had no complaints with anything I bought. I like the store a lot better than WF, though a lot of that could have to do with the clientele difference between Manchester and Glastonbury.

I think I'd call it Whole Foods for the lower class! I'd trust their organic and natural items a lot more than S&S's Natural Promise organic line.

The Manchester store is pretty small though, I'm not sure if that's a normal size.

Old 11-21-2019, 06:21 AM

6,698 posts, read 3,610,111 times
Quote:
Your pic is incredibly recent. Plastic bags became common when - in the 80s? 90s? I moved out on my own in the 80s and remember it being easy to get paper still even though plastic was still there. I only used plastic for meats because they were messy and could leak through the paper. It seems to me that it was more the late 90s when plastic bags became the "norm" and it was harder to find paper in places other than Whole Foods.

I'm thinking WF and TJ used paper (and their own reusable bags) because they want to be perceived as more environmentally conscious than the chain grocery stores?

How about Stew Leonards? I haven't been there in years. I know I have plastic bags from them, I used one yesterday for litter. It was thick! But we often went for the meat specials so it makes sense we'd use plastic for that.

I've only been to Manchester and only since last month. While housesitting a couple of years ago, I used their Tea Tree Tingle shampoo that was in the shower, liked it, and bought it a few times on Amazon. Last month I decided to pick up some more (I didn't know how incredibly overpriced their items are on Amazon!!) and bought a few other things too. I've had no complaints with anything I bought. I like the store a lot better than WF, though a lot of that could have to do with the clientele difference between Manchester and Glastonbury.

I think I'd call it Whole Foods for the lower class! I'd trust their organic and natural items a lot more than S&S's Natural Promise organic line.

The Manchester store is pretty small though, I'm not sure if that's a normal size.
I've never seen plastic bags in a TJ or WF in CT or CA. Always paper long before any bans.

Stews switched to paper with handles. They're iconic plastic bags will be missed.

Old 11-21-2019, 07:01 AM

9,823 posts, read 7,100,367 times
Quote:
Congrats. It should go up a lot more, now that the tree huggers have all become tree haters, and want to cut them all down to protect us from the evils of plastic bags.
It's much different today with paper bags. Before the introduction of the single use plastic, paper was made from virgin pulp. Today, paper bags are made from recycled paper and fewer trees are consumed.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:

To me Trader Joe's is just a convenience store. It's too small to do any serious shopping and the prices are not great.

Plastic grocery bags were introduced in Europe in 1965 and the US in 1979. I'd say they became common when Safeway and Kroger started offering them in 1982. But it was in the 1990s when they pretty much completely replaced paper bags.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
It's much different today with paper bags. Before the introduction of the single use plastic, paper was made from virgin pulp. Today, paper bags are made from recycled paper and fewer trees are consumed.
No matter how you look at it, that is going to be a lot more trees cut down. And with our current climate situation... is all I can say.

Old 11-21-2019, 06:33 PM

9,823 posts, read 7,100,367 times
Quote:
No matter how you look at it, that is going to be a lot more trees cut down. And with our current climate situation... is all I can say.
Keep in mind those most of trees are farmed for paper. It's not like virgin forest is being clear cut to make paper.

Old 11-22-2019, 04:42 AM

898 posts, read 594,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000fc View Post
Again, it is NOT a cash grab by the state.
Its a method to reduce usage of plastic bags. Making money from it is a side benefit.
Keep drinking the Koolaid.

Old 11-22-2019, 06:07 AM

4,408 posts, read 3,298,420 times
Even if you voted for Lamont (like I did) you have to admit this is funny.

https://www.ctpost.com/local/article...lGZvb4Nsque3L8

Click image for larger version

Name:	920x920.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	216239
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut