Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 08:38 PM
H45 H45 started this thread

1 posts, read 1,077 times

Advertisements

I’d be grateful for any thoughts. We are strongly considering
a move to Simsbury. We have an elementary aged child and 2 middle schoolers. An inclusive
School community is very important to us as one of our kids is mainstream but has some needs. Are Simsbury schools inclusive? Is bullying handled well? Thank you in advance for any opinions. We’ve heard good things about that school system but want to make sure all our kids will feel as accepted as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 10:17 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Simsbury schools are among the best in the state. I have family that lives there and their kids went through the schools. Like most Connecticut schools these days, bullying is not tolerated and actions are swift and firm. Of course there are no guarantees but I would say it should not be a significant issue. Jay

Old 07-14-2019, 03:03 AM

276 posts, read 282,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H45 View Post
I’d be grateful for any thoughts. We are strongly considering
a move to Simsbury. We have an elementary aged child and 2 middle schoolers. An inclusive
School community is very important to us as one of our kids is mainstream but has some needs. Are Simsbury schools inclusive? Is bullying handled well? Thank you in advance for any opinions. We’ve heard good things about that school system but want to make sure all our kids will feel as accepted as possible.
Consider Avon when you are evaluating the Farmington Valley area.
Avon and Simsbury are the top districts in the Farmington Valley.
Avon is more convenient to amenities/shopping/restaurants than Simsbury.
Avon schools are EXCELLENT! We moved here 9 years ago when our son was entering his freshman year. The guidance counselors are excellent, went over and above!
We highly recommend Avon, for safety, schools, excellent community!
Best of Luck in your search!

Old 07-16-2019, 02:21 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,956,682 times
Welcome to the area. Where are you moving from?

Simsbury has excellent schools. Avon has more racial diversity than Simsbury in terms of the student population, but I have no idea on how about either school system handles mainstream kids.

Having lived in Avon, I will say that the town has more issues with teachers, classes and programs being cut from the budget than Simsbury. If you have kids that are interested in the arts, definitely lean towards Simsbury over Avon.

The positive, though, is that Avon's property tax rate is lower than Simsbury.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:45 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
I don't think that you can go wrong with either Simsbury or Avon. I know of an instance where Simsbury school district was proactive in getting a child with socioemotional disability the help needed to stop bullying and help with inclusion. It worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut