Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the State tax or allow municipalities to tax groceries?
Yes 5 11.63%
No 38 88.37%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2019, 12:22 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times

Advertisements

There seems to be some question of what the changes in food taxes really should be. Governor Lamont has called on the Department of Revenue Services to review their interpretation of the law before the tax is implimented. Jay

https://patch.com/connecticut/glasto...campaign=alert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 07:53 PM

82 posts, read 49,729 times
We're arguing about weather it's ok to tax some food items, while the Democratic legislature has now said this new tax is NOT what they wanted and are asking for changes. The absurdity of all of this is huge.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:36 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns55 View Post
We're arguing about weather it's ok to tax some food items, while the Democratic legislature has now said this new tax is NOT what they wanted and are asking for changes. The absurdity of all of this is huge.
Isn’t it great?

I think the D’s are now realizing they are falling in line with exactly what the Republicans (and Moderates) accuse them of being: tax and spend democrats.

I may be incorrect, but I don’t think it can be changed. Good job, Lamont!

Old 09-17-2019, 08:43 PM

34,002 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Isn’t it great?

I think the D’s are now realizing they are falling in line with exactly what the Republicans (and Moderates) accuse them of being: tax and spend democrats.

I may be incorrect, but I don’t think it can be changed. Good job, Lamont!
It is amazing they so willingly made the charges accurate.

Old 09-17-2019, 08:46 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,183,050 times
It's not always easy trying to be popular

Old 09-18-2019, 07:24 AM

898 posts, read 597,322 times
The backpedaling by Lamont and the Dems on this is hilarious

Old 09-18-2019, 07:32 AM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
The backpedaling by Lamont and the Dems on this is hilarious
And it just proves he is a lying snake. He harped on how it’s about fairness, etc, but now it’s a misunderstanding?

Caught in a lie.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:07 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
OK, I'm going to run for governor. (joke) But no more taxes--what I would do is put the tolls on the roads that the NYers drive on when they go through our state. Get THEIR money and let us keep ours. High tolls for out of state drivers. Low or no tolls for us. Leave our groceries alone. This is getting ridiculous.
I don't blame you for saying that. If I lived in Connecticut I would probably say the same thing BUT you do know that New York and other states will somehow retaliate don't you?

If all the smallish states in the Northeast (even New York and Pennsylvania are slightly smaller then the national average) with their bizarre boundaries and metro areas inside multiple states, starting raising tolls and fees on each other - it will affect work and employment, on the price of goods and even interstate tourism. Some of the Northeast states are already loosing population because of the COL, I don't think it is a good idea to add more fuel to the fire.

Imagine for instance, what additional tolls will do to the trucking industry, for example on food and then how supermarkets will pass the buck onto consumers.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:55 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I don't blame you for saying that. If I lived in Connecticut I would probably say the same thing BUT you do know that New York and other states will somehow retaliate don't you?

If all the smallish states in the Northeast (even New York and Pennsylvania are slightly smaller then the national average) with their bizarre boundaries and metro areas inside multiple states, starting raising tolls and fees on each other - it will affect work and employment, on the price of goods and even interstate tourism. Some of the Northeast states are already loosing population because of the COL, I don't think it is a good idea to add more fuel to the fire.

Imagine for instance, what additional tolls will do to the trucking industry, for example on food and then how supermarkets will pass the buck onto consumers.
Well, New Jersey charges an arm and a leg to drive through their state. And MA charges us quite a bit to drive on their turnpike to get to Boston. If I am driving FROM Boston back to CT, I see all these NY license plate cars who have paid to drive on the MA Pike, take rte 84 that goes all the way through CT and gets them to NY for FREE.

I guess we're already paying MA and NJ for our groceries. (I'll leave it to my assistant governor to figure it all out, but we need to charge the cars at least that come through our state. Maybe we can import our food by rail or we can make a deal with trucks that bring food to us. Of course, with the new grocery tax, how many of us will be eating anyway, lol.)

Old 09-18-2019, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 364 times
Default Ct taxes on groceries?!?

For those of you that didn’t know this and apparently should be aware, Connecticut’s state motto should read: “The tax you to death state” . I lived there my entire life. Everything is insanely taxed. I smoke. Cigarettes are in fact less than 4.00 per pack. The tax you to death state charges almost 11.00. And that’s for the off brands. Car taxes and property taxes in my home city, which will remain nameless, are charged twice a year, BECAUSE they are RIDICULOUS expensive and it’s quite apparent by driving around that the obvious extortion is not being used to clean up the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut