Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 07:23 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times

Advertisements

New Hartford might be your best bet. There's a 3-bedroom, 1-bath Ranch situated on 0.80 of an acre listed for $239,900. Taxes are $3,099.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 07:44 AM

108 posts, read 218,757 times
Default Expensive!!

I realize that CT Real Estate is high...the homes in my area are selling for unbelievable prices. I thought the farther away from Hartford (excluding the more pricey towns) the housing would be more reasonably priced..

Old 01-15-2007, 07:55 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,755,327 times
The entry level of the market has risen in every town. In other words, I don't believe that a buyer could find a decent property under $200,000 anywhere except for Waterbury or New Britain. Surprisingly, Plainville continues to be reasonable. Would that be of interest?

Old 02-14-2007, 11:53 AM

72 posts, read 412,104 times
Default Eastern Ct

There are lots of small,traditional towns on eastern CT that are affordable. Have you considered the Windham County area? Towns that border the RI state line are still reasonable and you're in commuting distance to Hartford and Providence. Check out Griswold, Killingly, Woodstock, Pomfret, Putnam, Thompson. Actually, if NE WIndham Cuonty, you're in commuting distance to Worceste , MA and (believe it or not a lot of people do it), Boston and the Metro West area too! For $350,000, you would do well in this area. One m ore thing, UConn is right around the corner, too and it is beautiful in the fall!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffiths View Post
Hello everyone! I'm graduating very soon from college and I would like to move to a small town somewhere in the New England states. My budget would be about 350,000. I would like to move someplace traditional and safe to start a family. I fell in love with Ridgefield, but it is very expensive there. I heard Bethel is a nice place as well. Is there anybody who knows of a small, close knit town that is not too expensive?

Thanks a lot!

Old 02-14-2007, 05:05 PM

27 posts, read 95,791 times
Default A few more small towns

Avon and Farmington are two other nice small towns with a lot of New England charm. As of today there are 14 homes in Avon and 18 in Farmington under $350,000. (I am a realtor in that area) Simsbury is another area but tends to be a bit rural. West Hartford is a nice town also but tends to be pricey. Good luck with your search and congratulations on your graduation.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:03 AM

41 posts, read 157,533 times
Torrington's average home price is 160,000 but it is a larger town. Definatly look at Litchfield county. The Regional Seven School district is good which consists of Colebrook Barkhampsted New Hartford and Norfolk. Hartland is also nice. With a budget of 350,000 you could build yourself a nice house as well. There is pleanty of land around. Winsted is a nice town (I live there) but may be a little large for what you want. Litchfield probably has the best "town green" area around but is $$. All of the towns mentioned are with in an hour of Hartford and 1.5-2 of manhatten and also Torrington is a city of over 40k. If you want to go way out look at Sharon, Cornwall, Salisbury, Canaan. Check out www.realestatebook.com they have lots of listings for the area. Also you may want to contact the Northwest Chamber of Commerce. I imagine they have lots of info on the area. http://nwctchamberofcommerce.org/

Also Michelle is lucky to have Mrs. Welcome as a mother. She is a great History Teacher and Mayor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut