Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2019, 08:11 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times

Advertisements

I have a partially finished basement. It has electrical boxes/lights/switches, framing, HVAC, insulation, doors, and a window. That was all done and permitted before I moved in. I just need to put in drywall and carpet.

Would I need to (or better yet should I) pull a permit for something like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 08:50 PM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I have a partially finished basement. It has electrical boxes/lights/switches, framing, HVAC, insulation, doors, and a window. That was all done and permitted before I moved in. I just need to put in drywall and carpet.

Would I need to (or better yet should I) pull a permit for something like that?
Is Milford taxing you on a finished basement and is the square footage on your field card. I have part of my basement finished and soon I will put in a bathroom too. This is what my basement looks like on vision appraisal. They do Milford also so you can look it right up.
Connecticut Online Database - Vision Government Solutions (Vision Appraisal Link)

Part of my basement is being taxed. This is what it looks like on Vision Appraisal. I finished the basement (not the previous owners), the contractors pulled the permits and everything was signed off by the town.
Permit for partially finished basement work-basementtaxed.jpg

If it is not on the field card and you officially finish it you will get taxed. I know a lot of people that finish the basement and don't let the town know. My town does a physical appraisal every ten years and than they will find out. I bet Milford is like that too.

Last edited by CTartist; 07-30-2019 at 09:16 PM..

Old 07-31-2019, 05:54 AM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
It sounds like the prior owner pulled permits but never completed the project to drywall and sheetrock, so there wouldn't have been a CO (Certificate of Occupancy) issued and no field card update.
With any reno project, the city needs to come and do a pre-inspection (before drywall) to make sure electric, plumbing and whatnot is up to code. If that passes then you hang drywall, sheetrock, paint. Then the city comes back and does a final inspection and issues you a CO thereafter, then the field card is updated with new square footage, then they raise your property tax at their earliest convenience.
Make sure you notify the appropriate personnel at city hall for updating the field card. Sometimes the departments don't communicate well with each other. But don't worry the Tax Assessor will know.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:09 AM

4,449 posts, read 3,342,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
It sounds like the prior owner pulled permits but never completed the project to drywall and sheetrock, so there wouldn't have been a CO (Certificate of Occupancy) issued and no field card update.
With any reno project, the city needs to come and do a pre-inspection (before drywall) to make sure electric, plumbing and whatnot is up to code. If that passes then you hang drywall, sheetrock, paint. Then the city comes back and does a final inspection and issues you a CO thereafter, then the field card is updated with new square footage, then they raise your property tax at their earliest convenience.
Make sure you notify the appropriate personnel at city hall for updating the field card. Sometimes the departments don't communicate well with each other. But don't worry the Tax Assessor will know.

"With any reno project, the city needs to come and do a pre-inspection (before drywall) to make sure electric, plumbing and whatnot is up to code. If that passes then you hang drywall, sheetrock, paint. Then the city comes back and does a final inspection and issues you a CO"

My neighbor finished her basement without permits and the town made her tear down all the sheetrock so they could inspect it. They found it in Trumbull's 10 year inspection when they come into the houses.

"...then the field card is updated with new square footage, then they raise your property tax at their earliest convenience."

Lol

I had my brother and cousins doing work on my basement so the work went slowly as they have full time jobs. The town kept calling me and asking me when the work would be done for me to get the CO. In Trumbull they can't raise your taxes fast enough.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:25 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
You are right. The OP should contact the town’s building department to find out how to proceed. If the work has been sitting for a while, they may need/want to come out again. They will walk you through the process. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut