U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2019, 03:39 PM

349 posts, read 261,744 times

Advertisements

Team Meteorological season here!

From NOAA:

"Meteorological observing and forecasting led to the creation of these seasons, and they are more closely tied to our monthly civil calendar than the astronomical seasons are. The length of the meteorological seasons is also more consistent, ranging from 90 days for winter of a non-leap year to 92 days for spring and summer. By following the civil calendar and having less variation in season length and season start, it becomes much easier to calculate seasonal statistics from the monthly statistics, both of which are very useful for agriculture, commerce, and a variety of other purposes."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2019, 04:12 PM

1,565 posts, read 1,109,981 times
Regardless, I'm still sticking with solstices and equinoxes. Valid points are made above, but the astronomical stuff still works for me.

Old 09-06-2019, 04:37 PM

75,631 posts, read 59,307,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
Team Meteorological season here!
Its not about "team" (lol) its just about saying the right thing and understanding it. Only time I would use astronomical seasons is if Im talking about planning an event or something.

But if someone doesnt mention weather stats then I can see why its hard to accept it. They might not know the reason Fall starts early September. Kinda crazy continuing to hear a debate on this...in a weather thread! Lol

Old 09-06-2019, 06:09 PM

My time in retail is part of why I'm like that. I'm so sick of them pushing "summer" sometimes the second Easter finishes or, like now, when Halloween and pumpkin spice everything gets shoved down your throat in late August. Don't even get me started on Christmas!

Also...the day is still longer than 12 hours, last time I checked. Therefore, no equinox yet.

Happy that Hartford County has no advisories for what's left of Dorian.

Old 09-07-2019, 03:04 AM

Check it out guys. Cat 1 Hurricane off the coast. MA capes getting downpours from it.

Open those doors and windows this morning. 50s across CT! 40s probably in some Litchfield hills. Enjoy the weekend.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:23 AM

29,740 posts, read 46,800,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Check it out guys. Cat 1 Hurricane off the coast. MA capes getting downpours from it.

Open those doors and windows this morning. 50s across CT! 40s probably in some Litchfield hills. Enjoy the weekend.
Our windows were open all night. Doors are open today. Fall appears to be here. Jay

Old 09-07-2019, 09:35 AM

4,449 posts, read 2,863,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Our windows were open all night. Doors are open today. Fall appears to be here. Jay
You guys are nuts! I had to close my windows last night. Kept the bedroom one open a crack but it was a cold breeze. I think I have 3 partially open now and my feet are cold!

Old 09-07-2019, 09:53 AM

349 posts, read 261,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
You guys are nuts! I had to close my windows last night. Kept the bedroom one open a crack but it was a cold breeze. I think I have 3 partially open now and my feet are cold!
I'm with you! I had to close my windows last night too and get a heavier blanket.

Old 09-07-2019, 05:01 PM

Just saw this nice map, courtesy of Geoff Fox:

"Hurricane Dorian is no more. It has transitioned to a cold core storm -- in other words, just another big storm in the North Atlantic. Here's a history of where Dorian's been and when."

Old 09-10-2019, 04:46 AM

It has so been nice past 2 weeks+!!

August 23 is when the pattern seemed to have changed for the Northeast.

Only 6 of last 18 days the max has been above normal for Bridgeport, CT.

No crazy heat moving forwards either. Gonna be a great September finally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut