Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 01:26 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post

I just learned, though, that CT taxes Social Security. That's not good, so CT is probably off the list or a least has moved much lower toward the bottom.

CT has changed it's laws for 65+. Income (which includes Social Security) is tax exempt for a single at $75,000 and a couple at $100,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2019, 01:38 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Niantic/East Lyme is a nice shoreline town as well. You have a couple of nice town beaches, plus Rocky Neck State Park

Old 08-26-2019, 01:58 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
CT taxes a lot more than social security, so probably a good idea!
At least Connecticut does not tax necessities like groceries which a number of states do. Jay

Old 08-26-2019, 08:00 PM

512 posts, read 442,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Still much warmer, more humid and plenty of fresh water around here. I actually live in the woods with a stream behind my house. Have yet to see a snake.

Also own a home in Florida, along a canal and a walk to the water. And there, have yet to see a snake.

Can’t speak to SC because don’t know it, but I’d say not moving somewhere because of the possibility of seeing a snake is a bit much. JMO.
I also live in Northern VA and have seen plenty of snakes. The worst was when there was one on my door step. I screamed when I saw it and my neighbor came out and "took care of it". My home wasn't in the woods nor near ponds so I certainly did not expect to see on in that area. Where I live now, I've seen numerous snakes, on my patio, my neighbors yards, paved bike paths, walking paths, and ponds. Last yr. one of my friends found one in her boots, which were in her garage.

I am also terrified of snakes and don't blame OP for wanting to move out of the area because of snakes. My former co-worker was seriously contemplating selling her Town House and buying a condo because she saw snakes in her back yard. When I lived in CT, my friend moved briefly to NC but moved back to CT within a yr. because of snakes in her yard. I thought she was exaggerating but now I know NC is full of them. I didn't know that was also the case in SC as most people don't discuss that. Lastly about this subject, a few yrs. ago another co-worker in NOVA purchased a run down house in the country, which her husband was going to renovate. But when he started taking down the ceiling tons of snakes fell out from the ceiling. They were so grossed out they ended up tearing down the fixer house and building a new one. So yes, snakes are a of a big concern for many of us, even in Northern VA.

I am also looking to move back to New England for retirement. Like you, I'm still all over the map. I keep going back and forth between, CT, RI and MA. Occasionally I look at NH. Over a week ago I was in CT and went to Cape Cod, Providence and Newport. Prior to my trip I was thinking Cape Cod would be it. But when I was there and from what I've read, winters can be isolating and it's not easy to meet people as there are so many seasonal residents, I ruled it out.

I loved Providence and Newport. But the areas that I liked in Providence were very expansive and taxes are very high. Newport, Barrington and Bristol are still on my list as are couple other towns in RI.

I still want to see Newburyport and other towns in MA. Although as Jay has stated, CT will be doing away with many retirement taxes so that's why I'm leaning more towards CT now.

Regarding vibrant coastal towns in CT, like someone else mentioned, most towns along the shoreline will be vibrant only during the summer season, which is also very busy with tourists, especially places like Mystic. Last yr. when I was in the area, I didn't even stop in Mystic because of all the traffic. I like Guilford but I agree with another person who stated that outside the village green, there's not much out there. I really like Essex, although not exactly on the shoreline, but it's only about 20 mins. to the beach. Here's a short video, although a bit old, it gives you nice overview. Essex reminds me of Colonial Williamsburg, which I love, but of course it has the New England charm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLd7SqUcPg0

I you weren't so set on a coastal town, it sounds like West Hartford would be the type of town you're looking for. The taxes in WH are very high but since you're looking for a small house, you could probably get something for around $300k, so you could afford the high taxes. Keep us posted as what you decide on, I'm out there looking as well so the information others provide is also helpful to me.

Old 08-26-2019, 08:59 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Lastly about this subject, a few yrs. ago another co-worker in NOVA purchased a run down house in the country, which her husband was going to renovate. But when he started taking down the ceiling tons of snakes fell out from the ceiling. They were so grossed out they ended up tearing down the fixer house and building a new one. So yes, snakes are a of a big concern for many of us, even in Northern VA.

That reminds me of the memes I see on Facebook.
Vibrant Towns on CT Shoreline?-alligator.jpg

I will gladly ante up a little more in CT taxes so I never open my door and see an alligator or a big snake.

Old 08-27-2019, 01:43 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post

I you weren't so set on a coastal town, it sounds like West Hartford would be the type of town you're looking for. The taxes in WH are very high but since you're looking for a small house, you could probably get something for around $300k, so you could afford the high taxes. Keep us posted as what you decide on, I'm out there looking as well so the information others provide is also helpful to me.
A $300k house in West Hartford pays $8k+ in property taxes. Looking at listings, the $300k houses walkable to the center have $9k+ property tax bills. The houses I see aren’t selling even after multiple price cuts. They have huge home ownership costs even if you’re paying cash. The OP says they can afford “up to $400k” so they’re not rolling in money. That property tax bill is never going to go down even if home prices collapse in the next recession. West Hartford will just up the mill rate to Waterbury levels.

Our small house is a 10 minute walk to the harbor village and a mile from the beach. Redfin values it at $367k. The property tax bill is $2,744. Our home ownership costs are never going to force us out of our house.

Old 08-27-2019, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

That reminds me of the memes I see on Facebook.
Attachment 214065

I will gladly ante up a little more in CT taxes so I never open my door and see an alligator or a big snake.
Yikes! And same here!

Old 08-27-2019, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A $300k house in West Hartford pays $8k+ in property taxes. Looking at listings, the $300k houses walkable to the center have $9k+ property tax bills. The houses I see aren’t selling even after multiple price cuts. They have huge home ownership costs even if you’re paying cash. The OP says they can afford “up to $400k” so they’re not rolling in money. That property tax bill is never going to go down even if home prices collapse in the next recession. West Hartford will just up the mill rate to Waterbury levels.

Our small house is a 10 minute walk to the harbor village and a mile from the beach. Redfin values it at $367k. The property tax bill is $2,744. Our home ownership costs are never going to force us out of our house.
I agree, taxes in WH are outrageous. In 10 yrs., one will can easily spend $100k in taxes alone. I did notice there are a lot of homes for sale in WH so it looks like many people want to get rid of their homes. Such a shame because WH is a great town but taxes are driving people away.

Old 08-27-2019, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Everyone knows West Hartford has some of the highest taxes in the state. People that buy there don’t care about saving a few pennies. They care about the quality of service they get including some of the best schools, out arms and libraries in the state. If someone is that concerned about taxes, they should look at neighboring Farmington where taxes are a lot lower.

Since the OP has only expressed interest in the Shoreline, this discussion is off topic and should end. Since we do not know the town you live in in Massachusetts or the home you have there, it is difficult to make a comparison or discuss it further. Your home could be very small, old and/or on a very small lot, all things the affect taxes. It is also off topic to discuss this.

If the OP is concerned about taxes, Old Saybrook offers low taxes. A $300,000 home there would have taxes just over $3,000. It is their choice. Jay

Old 08-27-2019, 05:07 AM

Please return to the discussion of the OP which is Shoreline towns in Connecticut. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut