Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 01:37 AM

1 posts, read 3,124 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

A friend and I are moving to Norwalk in September, and we've scheduled visits at a couple of apartment complexes (Avalon, Merritt, Waypointe, etc). I've been wondering about a few things:

- experiences with apartment complexes in the Norwalk/Westport area
- safety in Norwalk
- walkability and ease of commute to Westport (I have a car, but not comfortable driving complex routes / on the highway)

Not from the area, so I'd really appreciate it if anyone has thoughts on any of these things. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 07:37 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
A lot depends on your background and tolerance and comfort in urban areas. From the little you say, it sounds like you are coming from a non urban area. Because of that you may find parts of Norwalk to be challenging. South Norwalk and Norwalk center are more urban so you may not be comfortable there. Merritt 7 and East Norwalk are more suburban in character so they may be better for you. Be aware though that traffic in Fairfield County is very challenging, even in more suburban areas. If driving is difficult you might want to consider living somewhere either very close to your job or near mass transit. Good luck, Jay

Old 08-30-2019, 01:29 PM

4,451 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlooking101 View Post
Hey all,

A friend and I are moving to Norwalk in September, and we've scheduled visits at a couple of apartment complexes (Avalon, Merritt, Waypointe, etc). I've been wondering about a few things:

- experiences with apartment complexes in the Norwalk/Westport area
- safety in Norwalk
- walkability and ease of commute to Westport (I have a car, but not comfortable driving complex routes / on the highway)

Not from the area, so I'd really appreciate it if anyone has thoughts on any of these things. Thanks so much!
I live in Trumbull. I have worked in Norwalk and have relatives there. I am an Art & Music Therapist and go down to Norwalk 1 to 2x a week for work. Norwalk is one of the safest cities in CT and in the country too. The US average for crime (on this site) is 275. Norwalk comes in at 155 in 2017.

You will be among the luckiest of people in Fairfield County if your commute is from Norwalk to Westport. The traffic is terrible in Fairfield County but you will have a reverse commute to the heavy traffic. If the traffic is bad you can just take back roads. Depending on where you live and where your job is you might never have to get on I-95 (highway) or the Merritt Parkway. The Parkway is cars only so I take that as much as possible. It's so much better without the tractor trailers. If you don't like the Parkway just take the town roads.

I don't know about what the specific apartments are like but I can tell you about the area.

Avalon
That is the area I go to. I go East Avenue which is right near there. In fact I used to play at the library. In the last two or three years lots of apartments have gone up which has made that area very good now. Most of the "iffy" buildings got knocked down to make all the new apartments. It watched the entire area transform. It was amazing.

Merritt River Apartments
If these are the ones you are referring to this is a very safe area. As a general rule of thumb north of the Parkway (which these are) is always the safest in the cities of Fairfield County.

Waypoint
Technically these would be the least safest but of the three apartments you mentioned but they are still good. I believe you would be safe here but let's see what other's say. The bad section of Norwalk in the southern section of Norwalk south of SONO or Washington Street. The apartments you listed aren't anywhere near this bad section.

Old 08-30-2019, 02:55 PM

21,729 posts, read 28,059,998 times
All those areas are pretty safe. Anything can happen anywhere, but they’re safer than many urban areas. Many young single females live in those areas. I would not hesitate.

Backroad commutes are possible from any of those roads. The area does get congested, even on backroads, but it’s a short drive.

Merritt is probably technically the “safest” but that’s because that area is kind of dead. Waypointe would be my choice. It’s equal in safety to Avalon area. Waypointe has some good stuff in walking distance. Colony Grill, Barcelona, Sedona, etc. That area has come a long way and is up and coming.

I had a friend temporarily stay at Avalon and did not like it. Said the walls were paper thin and his neighbors partied constantly. Avalon has a reputation of being cheaply built and kind of overpriced IMO.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:09 PM

21 posts, read 18,469 times
My friend lives in East Norwalk, He said it's quite safe there near East ave.. In South Norwalk well that's another story altogether. We could hear gunfire from his house at night. About 10 years ago the police department built a new complex near the train station. In Sono it's very diverse but expensive.. Lots of little spots to chill out at.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9Vette View Post
My friend lives in East Norwalk, He said it's quite safe there near East ave.. In South Norwalk well that's another story altogether. We could hear gunfire from his house at night. About 10 years ago the police department built a new complex near the train station. In Sono it's very diverse but expensive.. Lots of little spots to chill out at.
You sure you weren’t hearing fireworks? Gunfire is pretty rare in Norwalk. Really the Ely Ave projects are the only hot bed for crime.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:16 PM

21 posts, read 18,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
You sure you weren’t hearing fireworks? Gunfire is pretty rare in Norwalk. Really the Ely Ave projects are the only hot bed for crime.

It was a while back , and my friends cousin is a cop there. He mentioned that it was gun fire. Lots of drugs in that area. Shootings occur and aren't always publicized.

Old 08-30-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
It was a while back , and my friends cousin is a cop there. He mentioned that it was gun fire. Lots of drugs in that area. Shootings occur and aren't always publicized.
Sure, but quite tucked away from the busy SoNo area

Old 08-30-2019, 07:03 PM

4,451 posts, read 3,344,634 times
Quote:
You got it. A lot of what is going on in that area is not publicized.

Old 09-01-2019, 10:33 AM

163 posts, read 374,763 times
That's the norm in CT. Hide all of the creepy stuff so you can find out or yourself after you move in. It's standard pc procedure. The government does the exact opposite. They spy on Americans with no impunity and abandon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
You got it. A lot of what is going on in that area is not publicized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut