Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I really doubt Wooster Square proper has that high crime. I have friends that live there and other than the occasional wheel theft, it’s pretty safe and quiet. That is probably including nearby neighborhoods like Mill River and Fair Haven.

That said, Wooster Square, while beautiful and charming, doesn’t seem to be what they are looking for. Being close to it wouldn’t hurt. And I could see them liking East Rock a lot too.
I was in Wooster Square Saturday and was really shocked at how many panhandlers there were wandering through the green. The same thing can be said in DT heading toward 95/91 from York St. The dudes kept hitting the pedestrian button, stalling traffic so they can meander and panhandle. It was annoying and, frankly, they were gross, intoxicated human beings.

I did visit some of NH’s amazing restaurants, though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 07:46 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I was in Wooster Square Saturday and was really shocked at how many panhandlers there were wandering through the green. The same thing can be said in DT heading toward 95/91 from York St. The dudes kept hitting the pedestrian button, stalling traffic so they can meander and panhandle. It was annoying and, frankly, they were gross, intoxicated human beings.

I did visit some of NH’s amazing restaurants, though!
I’ve honestly never seen them in Wooster Square and we visit quite often at different times of the day. Never been propositioned once. It’s more common on Chapel St. in downtown.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:29 AM

167 posts, read 175,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Macalan is looking for a safe area also. Here is the score on Wooster Square in New Haven. I don't think I can put the link to this. This website gives that area an "F". Bear in mind they will be retired.

Attachment 214475
I lived in Wooster Square for years. I had my car broken into once, that was the only problem I experienced. It's a city; use your head and you'll be fine.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:47 PM

6,904 posts, read 3,746,264 times
There's nothing to suggest that panhandlers loitering on city streets is something new and groundbreaking. It's been going on since the beginning of time. New Haven is no different and is far improved from the seedy 70's and 80s.
Take Center City Philadelphia for example. An historic and beautiful city, but there are panhandlers practically around every corner of Broad Street.
West coast cities on the other hand, are being ravaged by tent cities, sad.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
There's nothing to suggest that panhandlers loitering on city streets is something new and groundbreaking. It's been going on since the beginning of time. New Haven is no different and is far improved from the seedy 70's and 80s.
Take Center City Philadelphia for example. An historic and beautiful city, but there are panhandlers practically around every corner of Broad Street.
West coast cities on the other hand, are being ravaged by tent cities, sad.
It wasn’t suggested to be anything new - but the sheer amount of them, on every street corner, was appalling. I spent many years driving through downtown NH and it was never this bad.

Old 09-12-2019, 01:47 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It wasn’t suggested to be anything new - but the sheer amount of them, on every street corner, was appalling. I spent many years driving through downtown NH and it was never this bad.
Maybe your visit was an anomaly, but we go to New Haven nearly every weekend and haven't been hassled by panhandlers to the extent that you describe. Maybe 1-2 while we're walking all around. Never experienced one on State Street/Audubon Arts area or Wooster Square area.

They're often at the Trumbull Ave exit off 91, or near the Alexion building interchange trying to get money from cars.

Also, I wouldn't say that element has gotten worse or better since we started frequenting the city 10 years ago. The rest of the city has improved, though.

New leadership looks to be taking over, so we'll see what happens.

But I do agree with SteveM85, it's something almost every city deals with. Places like New Orleans, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland – it's much more rampant.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:27 PM

6,904 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
But I do agree with SteveM85, it's something almost every city deals with. Places like New Orleans, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, Portland – it's much more rampant.
I was at Bar Pizza in New Haven a couple of weeks ago for a small reunion of old friends, what a great time. From the window seating noticed a panhandler woman, maybe in her 50s, hit up a patron on a smoke break outside for a smoke, but that was about it. Didn't notice any other panhandlers but I know there's plenty loitering the green.
The west coast is a much different story. I have a home near Ventura Boulevard, the one Tom Petty mentions in his song. The last time I was out there on a morning jog I had to step over fellas sleeping on the pavement in a vestibule of a store plaza. This is a very expensive area.

Mccalan, yes the areas of Guilford and Madison south of I95 are wonderful, especially near the water. The Guilford Center is a gem. Guilford has a nicer Center than Madison while Madison has the nicer beaches.

Last edited by SteveM85; 09-12-2019 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-12-2019, 05:11 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,010,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
I was at Bar Pizza in New Haven a couple of weeks ago for a small reunion of old friends, what a great time. From the window seating noticed a panhandler woman, maybe in her 50s, hit up a patron on a smoke break outside for a smoke, but that was about it. Didn't notice any other panhandlers but I know there's plenty loitering the green.
The west coast is a much different story. I have a home near Ventura Boulevard, the one Tom Petty mentions in his song. The last time I was out there on a morning jog I had to step over fellas sleeping on the pavement in a vestibule of a store plaza. This is a very expensive area.

Mccalan, yes the areas of Guilford and Madison south of I95 are wonderful, especially near the water. The Guilford Center is a gem. Guilford has a nicer Center than Madison while Madison has the nicer beaches.
Thank you. From what I saw on Google Earth Guilford Center was beautiful.

I'm surprised that New Haven with a population of 130K has such a problem with panhandlers. Charleston, SC is about the same size and there are virtually none. And there is a fair amount of poverty here. I would expect panhandlers in the cities mentioned above - Portland, SFO, LA, New Orleans, etc. Those are much larger cities.

Hopefully someone can do something before it gets totally out of control like is happening in SFO.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Maybe your visit was an anomaly, but we go to New Haven nearly every weekend and haven't been hassled by panhandlers to the extent that you describe. Maybe 1-2 while we're walking all around. Never experienced one on State Street/Audubon Arts area or Wooster Square area.

They're often at the Trumbull Ave exit off 91, or near the Alexion building interchange trying to get money from cars.

Also, I wouldn't say that element has gotten worse or better since we started frequenting the city 10 years ago. The rest of the city has improved, though.

New leadership looks to be taking over, so we'll see what happens.

It’s possible, and hopefully after Harp is long gone, it can get better. It’s one thing to panhandle. Another to continuously press the pedestrian crossing button to stall traffic. I understand the police department is busy and understaffed (thanks, in part, to Harp) but this should be cracked down on.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:31 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Please return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut