Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2019, 08:17 PM

417 posts, read 600,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Agree, a local reverse train to Southport isn’t exactly quick. Plus SoNo is only an hour to the heart of midtown. I’m not getting the uptown suggestion either.
+1. Also, if someone really wants to be immersed in the "Manhattan Experience", you're not going to get it from living uptown. It's better to opt for a (significantly) shorter commute and lower COL. OP can still visit the city fairly regularly from Stamford or SoNo.

I don't think others are factoring in that it's still a good ~30 minutes to mid/lower Manhttan (where OP is most likely to find activities/networks of interest) from Morningside or Harlem.

If OPs boyfriend is fine with a longer commute (rental prices notwithstanding), I would suggest looking in neighborhoods around GCT (Lenox Hill/ Murray Hill), or below 79th street in UES. Realistically, he would be adding *maybe* 10-15 minutes to his commute compared to Harlem but OP (and BF) would be more convenient to everything - and everyone - else in Manhattan.

Last edited by RiskReturn; 10-01-2019 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2019, 08:36 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
+1. Also, if someone really wants to be immersed in the "Manhattan Experience", you're not going to get it from living uptown. It's better to opt for a (significantly) shorter commute and lower COL. OP can still visit the city fairly regularly from Stamford or SoNo.

I don't think others are factoring in that it's still a good ~30 minutes to mid/lower Manhttan (where OP is most likely to find activities/networks of interest) from Morningside or Harlem.

If OPs boyfriend is fine with a longer commute (rental prices notwithstanding), I would suggest looking in neighborhoods around GCT (Lenox Hill/ Murray Hill), or below 79th street in UES. Realistically, he would be adding *maybe* 10-15 minutes to his commute compared to Harlem but OP (and BF) would be more convenient to everything - and everyone - else in Manhattan.
The OP does not need a “Manhattan experience” as much as they’ve desired a big city experience. They’ve expressed great concern about living in the suburbs and, with a major city less than an hour away, why people are still suggesting small town suburbia (which is really what SoNo is, in the grand scheme) is beyond me.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:08 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The OP does not need a “Manhattan experience” as much as they’ve desired a big city experience. They’ve expressed great concern about living in the suburbs and, with a major city less than an hour away, why people are still suggesting small town suburbia (which is really what SoNo is, in the grand scheme) is beyond me.
C'mon now, SoNo is not small town suburbia. It's a small city. The closest proxy in Chicagoland that I can think of is probably Naperville, similar density and amenities, but less diverse.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
C'mon now, SoNo is not small town suburbia. It's a small city. The closest proxy in Chicagoland that I can think of is probably Naperville, similar density and amenities, but less diverse.
I’m speaking in relative terms. To someone who lives in CT, it’s a small city. To someone who lives in Chicago or New York, it’s a small town feel. Milford, to them, would be the sticks.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:36 PM

417 posts, read 600,760 times
Quote:
3 main reasons for suggesting SoNo/Stamford over Manhattan:

1. Rental prices
2. Commute
3. Safety (in the case of certain Uptown neighborhoods)

I'll throw in that I have a strong hunch that OP will not be satisfied with living in/around Harlem (although there are some fantastic cultural aspects) given the neighborhood in Chicago she is coming from and how removed Harlem is from the rest of Manhattan. UES or lower Manhatan would likely be a much better fit. However, a daily commute from lower Manhattan -> Southport will make you want to tear your eyeballs out and a commute from UES -> Southport is tolerable at best. YMMV, but I think this applies to the majority of the population.

Last edited by RiskReturn; 10-01-2019 at 09:44 PM..

Old 10-02-2019, 06:02 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,394,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sri View Post
3 main reasons for suggesting SoNo/Stamford over Manhattan:

1. Rental prices
2. Commute
3. Safety (in the case of certain Uptown neighborhoods)

I'll throw in that I have a strong hunch that OP will not be satisfied with living in/around Harlem (although there are some fantastic cultural aspects) given the neighborhood in Chicago she is coming from and how removed Harlem is from the rest of Manhattan. UES or lower Manhatan would likely be a much better fit. However, a daily commute from lower Manhattan -> Southport will make you want to tear your eyeballs out and a commute from UES -> Southport is tolerable at best. YMMV, but I think this applies to the majority of the population.
It sort of depends on what aspects of city living is most important to them. There are three stations served by the New Haven Line within NYC: Fordham, 125th-Street Harlem and Grand Central. These are all very urban city neighborhoods, but differ from each other quite a bit. Those are one-seat rides, but there’s also the possibility of transferring from the subway though that may lengthen the commute.

If she does go with Harlem, going west of the Metro-North stop is better than east.

One thing to do might be to visit multiple places with New Haven Line service including those in Connecticut or in New York State whether NYC or not.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-02-2019 at 06:15 AM..

Old 10-02-2019, 06:51 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It sort of depends on what aspects of city living is most important to them. There are three stations served by the New Haven Line within NYC: Fordham, 125th-Street Harlem and Grand Central. These are all very urban city neighborhoods, but differ from each other quite a bit. Those are one-seat rides, but there’s also the possibility of transferring from the subway though that may lengthen the commute.

If she does go with Harlem, going west of the Metro-North stop is better than east.

One thing to do might be to visit multiple places with New Haven Line service including those in Connecticut or in New York State whether NYC or not.
Fordham does not go direct to Southport.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:24 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Wait, the OP says she lives in the East Lake View neighborhood of Chicago. This is a dense low scale single/multi family neighborhood. The homes are mostly two or three stories. It’s nothing like Midtown Manhattan or Harlem. It’s more like Queens than anything.

I can’t see why the OP would not be fine in South Norwalk or Stamford. I would also recommend Black Rock in Bridgeport which is a small urban village on Long Island Sound. It has a beautiful waterfront park like East Lake View. It’s certainly closer in density than anywhere in Manhattan. Jay

Old 10-02-2019, 10:28 AM

Lake View East has the amenities of the major city that it is, in addition to a short mass transit ride (minutes) to downtown Chicago. SoNo or Bridgeport can not compare. The OP should check out all recommended areas though and get a feel for it to see what fits best.

Old 10-02-2019, 10:42 AM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Lake View East has the amenities of the major city that it is, in addition to a short mass transit ride (minutes) to downtown Chicago. SoNo or Bridgeport can not compare. The OP should check out all recommended areas though and get a feel for it to see what fits best.
I would tend to agree that Sono is in part a suburban Center and not a large area by any stretch but collectively Fairfield County main thorofare coastline should provide enough of the no-kids life amenities without the costs associated with living in the parts of Manhattan that look like the Sex and the City TV show. That show did not look like they filmed any parts in Harlem. Stamford's Harbor Point might suit them really well. Regardless, I get the impression they have since moved on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut