Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 07:01 AM

537 posts, read 330,842 times

Advertisements

As mentioned look to see which area is closer to peak foliage as we get closer to those dates. I am going to the Berkshires that same week to do the Berkshire east zip line, so I'm hoping for some great views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2019, 07:08 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,038,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Really great input on the Berkshires and Litchfield Co. Now I think we need to take two trips and hit the lower CT valley area as well -- thanks so much. The kids are 9 and 12 and generally love pretty country scenery, exploring, and quaint small towns as we've spent a lot of time in the Hudson River Valley.

Just trying to get the most fall bang for 3.5 days, not knowing if we can swing any day trips later in October. I never want to overdo it with a ton uninterrupted driving for their sake. Crossing my fingers for a weekend of cool-ish weather with fall leaves and charming old towns.
So Litchfield County is generally more "refined" than the mid Hudson but also a bit more off the beaten path . If you're familiar with Rhinebeck, Kent has a bit of that vibe, but it's also sort of isolated - there is no Red Hook or Tivoli or Hyde Park nearby to explore. This is why I am recommending Washington - because if you stay there you can go apple picking/hiking/shopping in town but you can also jump over to Litchfield, Bantam, and Woodbury within a 15-20 minute drive, each of which has a selection of attractions to explore.

There are haunted cemetery tours in both Washington and Woodbury in October - I don't know which organization sponsors the one in Washington, but the Woodbury tour is sponsored by the Glebe House and is pretty good. They do sell out so you'd want to get tickets in advance. Corn mazes are a fun way to spend a few hours - I recently did the one at The Farm in Woodbury and have done March Farm in Bethlehem in past years - both cater to visitors with snack shacks, food trucks, games, etc. March especially has beautiful fall views. There is a large garlic and food festival in Bethlehem that weekend as well, which draws vendors from far and wide... I haven't been in a few years but have enjoyed it in the past. I love picking apples and getting cider donuts at Averill Farm in Washington - they have a variety of heirloom apples for picking and other food items for sale - it is also very scenic.

Good scenic hiking in both Washington (Steep Rock Reservation - several preserves throughout town, with quite a few scenic overlooks) and Litchfield (White Memorial Foundation - has a popular 2ish mile long boardwalk through a marsh that is great for bird watching).

The Arethusa compound in Bantam is very popular - great ice cream, a quick service cafe with coffee, and fine dining (some of the best in the state -advance reservations are a must and it's not super kid friendly - you do often see children at nearby Mockingbird Kitchen & Bar, though, reservations recommended, we enjoy their food). Bohemian Pizza in Litchfield is a fun quirky dinner stop with kids. I adore Love Hearts cafe in Litchfield for lunch and a pastry, and it's easier to get in there than into Arethusa.

Other ideas - Litchfield Distillery does tours and makes fantastic spirits, although you may not want to bring the kids on that kind of tour, swing by and grab something to bring home. Dottie's in Woodbury is billed as having CT's best donuts, and there are a number of other really solid eateries nearby - Market Place, John's Cafe, West Egg (operated by the people that formerly owned the very popular Mamie's in Roxbury).

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by hvexpatinct; 09-23-2019 at 07:22 AM..

Old 09-23-2019, 08:01 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
So Litchfield County is generally more "refined" than the mid Hudson but also a bit more off the beaten path . If you're familiar with Rhinebeck, Kent has a bit of that vibe, but it's also sort of isolated - there is no Red Hook or Tivoli or Hyde Park nearby to explore. This is why I am recommending Washington - because if you stay there you can go apple picking/hiking/shopping in town but you can also jump over to Litchfield, Bantam, and Woodbury within a 15-20 minute drive, each of which has a selection of attractions to explore.

There are haunted cemetery tours in both Washington and Woodbury in October - I don't know which organization sponsors the one in Washington, but the Woodbury tour is sponsored by the Glebe House and is pretty good. They do sell out so you'd want to get tickets in advance. Corn mazes are a fun way to spend a few hours - I recently did the one at The Farm in Woodbury and have done March Farm in Bethlehem in past years - both cater to visitors with snack shacks, food trucks, games, etc. March especially has beautiful fall views. There is a large garlic and food festival in Bethlehem that weekend as well, which draws vendors from far and wide... I haven't been in a few years but have enjoyed it in the past. I love picking apples and getting cider donuts at Averill Farm in Washington - they have a variety of heirloom apples for picking and other food items for sale - it is also very scenic.

Good scenic hiking in both Washington (Steep Rock Reservation - several preserves throughout town, with quite a few scenic overlooks) and Litchfield (White Memorial Foundation - has a popular 2ish mile long boardwalk through a marsh that is great for bird watching).

The Arethusa compound in Bantam is very popular - great ice cream, a quick service cafe with coffee, and fine dining (some of the best in the state -advance reservations are a must and it's not super kid friendly - you do often see children at nearby Mockingbird Kitchen & Bar, though, reservations recommended, we enjoy their food). Bohemian Pizza in Litchfield is a fun quirky dinner stop with kids. I adore Love Hearts cafe in Litchfield for lunch and a pastry, and it's easier to get in there than into Arethusa.

Other ideas - Litchfield Distillery does tours and makes fantastic spirits, although you may not want to bring the kids on that kind of tour, swing by and grab something to bring home. Dottie's in Woodbury is billed as having CT's best donuts, and there are a number of other really solid eateries nearby - Market Place, John's Cafe, West Egg (operated by the people that formerly owned the very popular Mamie's in Roxbury).

Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for this detailed summary, very helpful trying to understand the lay of the land as well as actual spots to visit -- saving it! We have an option for accommodation in Washington so this great. Others in the Berkshires. Also, someone recommended Winnchester/Colebrook area for heading both north to MA and south to Litchfield Co?

Even if we can't do it all this trip, and knowing that leaf peeping and calendar-worthy fall scenery is short-lived, I like hearing everyone's feedback on their favorite areas for other weekend getaways.

Old 09-23-2019, 08:59 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,038,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlewile View Post
Thanks for this detailed summary, very helpful trying to understand the lay of the land as well as actual spots to visit -- saving it! We have an option for accommodation in Washington so this great. Others in the Berkshires. Also, someone recommended Winnchester/Colebrook area for heading both north to MA and south to Litchfield Co?

Even if we can't do it all this trip, and knowing that leaf peeping and calendar-worthy fall scenery is short-lived, I like hearing everyone's feedback on their favorite areas for other weekend getaways.
I wouldn't do Winchester/Colebrook unless you want to spend a lot of time in the car. It isn't exactly next door to anything in either western MA or CT. Winsted itself isn't super charming and has seen better days, although some early revitalization efforts are underway. If you do end up staying in the Berkshires, Stockbridge is a good location, IMO.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:11 AM

3,176 posts, read 6,214,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
I wouldn't do Winchester/Colebrook unless you want to spend a lot of time in the car. It isn't exactly next door to anything in either western MA or CT. Winsted itself isn't super charming and has seen better days, although some early revitalization efforts are underway. If you do end up staying in the Berkshires, Stockbridge is a good location, IMO.
Knowing stuff like this is just as helpful as hearing everyone's favorites so I appreciate it. The person who suggested it is unfamiliar with the area on the whole, so....
Wish I could rep you more.

Just need more weekends, less work and less school to do more but isn't that always the story.

Old 09-23-2019, 01:25 PM

1,556 posts, read 1,156,686 times
Macedonia Brook State Park, just west of Kent, is lovely in the autumn. There is a moderately difficult hike of about an hour to a fabulous view where you can see south, west and north for miles. All you see is vibrantly colored forest with some little farms interspersed. (hike is mod. difficult bc it is a steep climb)

Also, the road into the park follows a really nice brook which is fun to wade in. When our kids were that age, we'd go to this park and hike, then picnic back down by the brook. Kent has some very nice eateries that might do picnic take out. Also, back in the day, there was a very nice grocery store that had a nice deli. Not sure if it is still there, it's been a few years

Just a couple of miles north of Kent, on the east side of Route 7 is Kent Falls State Park. Nice very easy trail along side the Falls. Kent Falls gets more use than MBSP and imo is not as nice. At MBSP, you really feel in the (albeit small)mountains.
Have a nice trip

Old 09-23-2019, 05:24 PM

83,502 posts, read 75,252,292 times
Wow, lots of posts here but none in the CT Foliage thread.

By mid October the Southern Berks and Northern Litchfield should be near peak. Sugar Maples & Locusts are already changing but majority is still green.. You can't go wrong with either or. Pick a nice road and enjoy.

You can also find a train ride to do but that's not the same when you only have a side window to look out of.

The warmth this week is slowing things down but pattern should change by the 1st of October which will kick the colors back into gear. Lack or rain shouldn't hurt since we have had a wet Spring and Summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut