Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 06:39 AM

44 posts, read 28,575 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm not sure if anyone else uses the "Neighbors" app, but watching that I'm seeing a ton of car thefts, and burglaries in towns like Avon, Simsbury, Canton.

I'm very interested in moving to the area but there are lots of burglaries and bears. Neither of which are appealing.

Is this the same story in East Hartford? Is this a freak spike or the new normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 07:14 AM

2,495 posts, read 4,718,599 times
Unfortunately, theft of all kinds is commonplace in this state. People have this misconception that the further away you are from the city gives you more of an immunity from criminal elements. Not anymore. Short of that, our lawmakers have a deeper concern for protecting the (often juvenile) perpetrators of crime than the victims. I'm sure plenty of people here will contest that and say it's simply not true, but all signs point to the contrary. As a result, crime is spiking. Since juveniles are often responsible, these acts are often expunged from the record books and so are the crimes. So when people say crime is down, they leave out the fact that juvenile crime is actually quite high.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:13 AM

512 posts, read 351,151 times
You named several homogeneous (white, affluent) towns. The crime there is of the "I left my car unlocked in the driveway and my iPad Pro I left on the front seat in plain view was stolen" variety. Crime is still crime but I certainly wouldn't let that deter you from looking at those towns. I doubt there has been as much of an uptick in East Hartford because to be frank, people there probably know to lock their doors. I live in Hartford and in no world do I leave my car unlocked or with valuables inside (for the record, I have also never had a problem with crime in Hartford personally). People in Avon are probably way more complacent.

I agree with the previous poster that there has been an uptick in suburban car break-ins all across the state. If the criminals are caught, they 9 times out of 10 are indeed juveniles who face zero repercussions.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:22 AM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I am not sure what your definition is of the word “lots”. Yes, there are car thefts and burglaries i

n suburbs but that is true in any affluent community. We do have it here in Glastonbury too. The same in South Windsor, Tolland, Marlborough, Bolton or other affluent town in the country. What you do get away from is violent crime. Shootings, muggings, murders, etc. are less in suburbs.

As for bears, the Farmington River Valley is pretty wooded. That is part of its charm and beauty. With large stretches of woods comes wildlife. That includes bears. My family that lives in the woods of Simsbury see bears pretty often. It’s not a big deal to them. They have had them in their yard and on their deck. They even once had one sitting on their car in the garage. They either ignore them or in the case of the one in the garage just shooed them away (this is not recommended). They are pretty harmless for the most part. Still never take chances. Just wait for them to leave which they do. Unfortunately wildlife is part of living in the outer suburbs and rural areas. Not much you can do about that. Jay

Old 10-04-2019, 12:02 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Burglaries in the suburbs of CT have increased exponentially and is a direct result of Malloy’s restructuring of the juvenile criminal justice system. Prior to leaving CT, some Fairfield County towns experienced over a 100% increase in vehicle burglaries and vehicle thefts between 2013 and 2017. Unfortunately the juveniles, the majority of whom live in the urban poor cities, who are committing these crimes are not being prosecuted and they know it. Why wouldn’t they continue to do it?

Lock your car doors.

Old 10-04-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Unfortunately, theft of all kinds is commonplace in this state. People have this misconception that the further away you are from the city gives you more of an immunity from criminal elements. Not anymore. Short of that, our lawmakers have a deeper concern for protecting the (often juvenile) perpetrators of crime than the victims. I'm sure plenty of people here will contest that and say it's simply not true, but all signs point to the contrary. As a result, crime is spiking. Since juveniles are often responsible, these acts are often expunged from the record books and so are the crimes. So when people say crime is down, they leave out the fact that juvenile crime is actually quite high.
Exactly. I can tell you firsthand, it is true. Anyone who says otherwise is plain wrong.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Exactly. I can tell you firsthand, it is true. Anyone who says otherwise is plain wrong.
Just want to add, JayCT is correct in saying violent crime is very low in the suburbs. The cities, not so much.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:29 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Just want to add, JayCT is correct in saying violent crime is very low in the suburbs. The cities, not so much.
Agree re: violent crime. But the number of break-ins in West Hartford, into vehicles that are parked in driveways, is legendary and unfortunate for an affluent area. The WH police have made it a nightly thing on Facebook and Twitter to remind residents to lock their vehicles.

Old 10-04-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Agree re: violent crime. But the number of break-ins in West Hartford, into vehicles that are parked in driveways, is legendary and unfortunate for an affluent area. The WH police have made it a nightly thing on Facebook and Twitter to remind residents to lock their vehicles.
It’s insane. It’s not just WH (although probably worse there due to proximity to Hartford), but all suburbs are dealing with it.

Thank Dan Malloy!

Old 10-04-2019, 03:59 PM

44 posts, read 28,575 times
Bears I can deal with, but looters not so much.

I did a google search and I see this has been going on for years. From what I see it looks like this is primarily young kids doing the looting, as you guys mentioned, but often working in coordination with older "leaders" who I assume collect the loot and distribute. Not a great situation, especially now learning that juvenile crime is essentially ignored. It's a great system they have going.

It's such a nice area, but why this could continue for so long is shocking. We have rashes of this where I live but it's squashed relatively quickly with public awareness and increased police patrol. I'm sure the solution is not unknown, this type of petty crime must be common across the country. What's the issue?

Some of the crimes just seem so brash, a few weeks ago two cars stolen from in the basement garage of a house while the owners where home. ...how in the world... I would want every police unit patrolling the streets at that point.
Just a matter of time till someone gets killed in a wrong place - wrong time burglary related shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut