Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 12:41 PM

3 posts, read 2,409 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are living in Port Chester, NY and are looking to move into CT due to getting a little more land/bigger house, lowering our taxes and finding a good school for our future children

Not knowing much about the areas we're bordering on the Fairfield line, which keeps us relatively close to NY. Right now i work out of Stamford and my wife is a teacher with a little more flexibility of moving her job

Are there any resources out there to tell us about some of these areas?

Right now we're looking at Bethel, Ridgefield, Redding, Weston, Wilton. Even a little more East with Milford/Shelton.

We're trying to prioritize the school district due to our want for kids, but also don't want to pay too high in property taxes.

Any information would be helpful as we're just starting out.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2019, 12:50 PM

21,756 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Lots of good options, but it would help to know:

- Can you commute by train? Is your work walkable to the train station? A train commute is always easier to Stamford if doable. Traffic can be a nightmare.
- What do you want for a home and what's your budget?
- What do you prefer in a town? Rural? Lively? Walkability? Coastal? Woods? The towns you've listed are dramatically different.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:51 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Budget and lifestyle preferences are always useful as you cast a pretty huge net there. But for a commute into Stamford everyday I'd personally cut out Shelton from your search and even Milford if you aren't able to take the train everyday. That commute by car is one of the worst in the country, pretty much all hours nowadays as well.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
But for a commute into Stamford everyday I'd personally cut out Shelton from your search and even Milford if you aren't able to take the train everyday. That commute by car is one of the worst in the country, pretty much all hours nowadays as well.
Yes agree. I'd also personally cut Bethel regardless. It's a bad commute by train or car.

If train is an option, then Milford/Shelton are totally viable options and offer a great bang for the buck with low taxes.

However, if you don't mind being in a quieter, rural area - Easton/Weston/Redding have some steals these days as buyers are just not gravitating to those towns as much. (Which, also makes resale a slight concern)

Old 10-08-2019, 01:11 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Without a budget and what you want for that budget, it’s hard to make a recommendation. Also how large of a lot do you want? I will say that the first town that is not crazy expensive is Fairfield. You might also consider Easton and Trumbull too. These three have very good to excellent schools and are commutable to Stamford. Jay

Old 10-08-2019, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,409 times
Thank you all for such quick feedback.

Unfortunately both of our jobs are via car - not much in the way of a train for both of us. I do tend to get up early enough to beat any form of traffic as i tend to work my days between the hours of 7:30 to 4 (with the option of working from home more often in my new house). Is the commute that bad even pre 9am? I always assumed Zillow was joking stating the commute could be over an hour from Shelton because when I look at it at 7:15 AM (when i normally leave for work) and it still shows about 45-50 minutes.

Our budget is under 700k and probably 4 beds with a square footage of about 2000. She wants 3 kids so we're kind of starting at this point and working our way up/down as needed.

We'd like a lively town but not a city. We both kind of grew up in the "city" coming from Staten Island/Long island. We certainly do not mind a more quiet rural area with the option to drive to a larger city/ mall / fair as needed

I unfortunately don't know anything about any of these towns at all (primarily the reason I'm here). We started looking at some open houses in Bethel (new construction) along with some in Redding/ridgefield this weekend. Its tough to get a feel for an area when you're in it for such a short time

Old 10-08-2019, 01:30 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Decent commute, decent cost or decent schools. Pick two.

At 700k, you can get an entry level modest home in Greenwich, New Canaan or Darien. It will get you a decent home in Wilton, which is my suggestion to you. You can take back roads through Vista/New Canaan if you need to avoid the Merritt Parkway. The schools are excellent.

Since train is not an option, I would completely avoid anything northeast of Westport since that puts you on some of the most congested highways in the country. It will regularly take you about an hour from exit 6 to the Fairfield exits on 95. Throw in rain, add 20 minutes. Throw in snow, add on a few hours. It’s not fun.

Keep in mind that Greenwich has some of the lowest property taxes in the state. Coming over from Westchester might allow you to bump up your budget a bit since you’ll be paying about half in property taxes, allowing you to put it toward your monthly mortgage payment.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:46 PM

If train not an option I would focus on Wilton.

Good schools, good value, decent commute, good prospects for resale, low taxes.

Plus it’s near Norwalk and Westport for plenty of things to do.

Weston near the Westport border would be another option.

But most of Weston and Redding will likely feel too rural for you.

A Bethel commute would suck. Especially in inclement weather.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:49 PM

6,907 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Othello13 View Post
Thank you all for such quick feedback.

Unfortunately both of our jobs are via car - not much in the way of a train for both of us. I do tend to get up early enough to beat any form of traffic as i tend to work my days between the hours of 7:30 to 4 (with the option of working from home more often in my new house). Is the commute that bad even pre 9am? I always assumed Zillow was joking stating the commute could be over an hour from Shelton because when I look at it at 7:15 AM (when i normally leave for work) and it still shows about 45-50 minutes.

Our budget is under 700k and probably 4 beds with a square footage of about 2000. She wants 3 kids so we're kind of starting at this point and working our way up/down as needed.

We'd like a lively town but not a city. We both kind of grew up in the "city" coming from Staten Island/Long island. We certainly do not mind a more quiet rural area with the option to drive to a larger city/ mall / fair as needed

I unfortunately don't know anything about any of these towns at all (primarily the reason I'm here). We started looking at some open houses in Bethel (new construction) along with some in Redding/ridgefield this weekend. Its tough to get a feel for an area when you're in it for such a short time
I would strongly advise against Shelton or anywhere that far out.

Wilton provides a central location, very good schools, many nice homes ranging from the 400s to 600s, and a decent commute to Stamford via the Merrit Parkway if you were to leave early. You'll get on in New Canaan and hit some slow downs through NC and into Stamford but really not that bad depending where the office is located.

It is imperative that you work from home on snowstorm forecasted days.

Last edited by SteveM85; 10-08-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Old 10-08-2019, 05:29 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Decent commute, decent cost or decent schools. Pick two.

At 700k, you can get an entry level modest home in Greenwich, New Canaan or Darien. It will get you a decent home in Wilton, which is my suggestion to you. You can take back roads through Vista/New Canaan if you need to avoid the Merritt Parkway. The schools are excellent.

Since train is not an option, I would completely avoid anything northeast of Westport since that puts you on some of the most congested highways in the country. It will regularly take you about an hour from exit 6 to the Fairfield exits on 95. Throw in rain, add 20 minutes. Throw in snow, add on a few hours. It’s not fun.

Keep in mind that Greenwich has some of the lowest property taxes in the state. Coming over from Westchester might allow you to bump up your budget a bit since you’ll be paying about half in property taxes, allowing you to put it toward your monthly mortgage payment.
I agree but I would say Fairfield is still an option as long as he realizes the traffic he will face. It’s a balance of travel time verses home size, condition and features.

Your point on Greenwich is a good one. The low taxes there could mean the OP is able to afford a higher home price. They would have to run the numbers to see.

I would begin by looking at Greenwich to see if your budget gets you enough home. Be sure to run the actual numbers because taxes will make a difference. Also talk to a good mortgage broker. They can guide you.

If Greenwich does not work, I would then move on to Darien and New Canaan. I suspect that if Greenwich does not work, these wouldn’t either. If those don’t work then I would look at Wilton, Weston and Westport. I am pretty sure you could find a nice home in Wilton. Finally if none of those have homes to your liking I would consider Fairfield. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut