Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 09:08 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,881,202 times

Advertisements

Does anybody know if speed cameras are used anywhere in Connecticut? I didn't think they were, but I had an experience tonight that makes me think that maybe they are.

I went up to Newtown for dinner and I was coming home on Route 59 through Monroe and Easton (I turned off Route 25 in Monroe). There was zero traffic on the road and the speed limit was 40 mph, dropping to 35 mph as I got closer to lower Easton.

My speed was in the high 50s, about 57-58 mph. Just at the point where the speed limit dropped from 40 mph to 35 mph, I passed a pole that had some contraption on it, and as I passed it, lights started flashing. It was not one of those warning signs that told you your speed and flashed if you were speeding. The lights flashed and afterward, nothing happened. I didn't get pulled over a little further down the road, as I half expected.

Now I am wondering if I am going to get a speeding ticket in the mail. Has anybody had a similar experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 09:19 PM

34,630 posts, read 56,360,262 times
I don’t think they can send you a ticket that way. It may have been one of those signs to tell you your speed but the sign was turned or failed. Hard to say. Jay

Old 10-12-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don’t think they can send you a ticket that way. It may have been one of those signs to tell you your speed but the sign was turned or failed. Hard to say. Jay
Maybe. I didn't think speed cameras that send tickets were legal in this state. I thought maybe it was set up to alert an officer further down the road to pull over a speeding car, but that didn't happen either.

You could be right that it was supposed to be a warning sign, that was turned off or broken.

We'll see what happens. If I do get a ticket in the mail, I'll deal with it. I've had tickets before and lived to tell about it, so I'm not too worried, just curious.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:03 PM

204 posts, read 157,884 times
Camera enforcement is illegal in CT. They've been debated in the legislature for many years, and speed cameras would go along with it, and it would take an amendment of state statutes to legalize them. There are plenty of school zones that have signs to show you your speed, but it can't be used to issue a citation unless law enforcement actually witnesses you doing it, and even then, they would probably need a radar or laser detector to measure you. Yes, several intersections have cameras mounted on signals, but as of now, they are only used for surveillance and traffic monitoring. I have my views on them, but I'll spare the details here.

Old 10-12-2019, 11:10 PM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
If the speed limit was 40 and you were doing just under 60, do us all a favor and slow the hell down.

Based on your posting history, you enjoy speeding. It’s only a matter of time before something bad happens and you’re facing something a lot more serious than a speeding infraction. Have a little respect for the law and your fellow motorists.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Nutmegger View Post
Camera enforcement is illegal in CT. They've been debated in the legislature for many years, and speed cameras would go along with it, and it would take an amendment of state statutes to legalize them. There are plenty of school zones that have signs to show you your speed, but it can't be used to issue a citation unless law enforcement actually witnesses you doing it, and even then, they would probably need a radar or laser detector to measure you. Yes, several intersections have cameras mounted on signals, but as of now, they are only used for surveillance and traffic monitoring. I have my views on them, but I'll spare the details here.
Thanks for the response. That's pretty much what I thought, and the mystery of what the flashing light was still remains. I would be interested in hearing your views on cameras. They are widely used in Europe for enforcement.

Old 10-13-2019, 08:50 AM

34,630 posts, read 56,360,262 times
Studies have shown that cameras have cut down on running red lights at intersections. I do not know how using them with speed radar on open highways have worked. I am not aware of any in use in this country. The problem with that could be assuring that the speed radar was recently calibrated. As I understand the opposition to these, they do not give the charged an opportunity to face their accuser in court. When a cop uses a radar gun, the cop usually shows up in court. An unmanned speed camera can’t do that. Then there are the “Big Brother watching” concerns. Jay

Old 10-13-2019, 09:07 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,907,771 times
Quote:
When a cop uses a radar gun, the cop usually shows up in court.
That’s not entirely true in the state of CT, and very much depends on the geographical area (GA) court that you’re required to go to. When an officer writes an infraction, they do what‘s called “backing the ticket”, meaning they write a short narrative on the back detailing the device they used, what they observed, and whether or not their dash camera caught the offense. It’s a communication between the officer and the court, and is usually the only communication, so the officer doesn’t usually have to go to court. In fact, it’s very rare that they have to do so.

Old 10-13-2019, 09:22 AM

11,240 posts, read 18,711,826 times
Quote:

In NY (where quite a few towns have them, for example in Westchester County I know of Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle and Yonkers, I think NYC does it in some spots too), they DO send them in the mail (to the registrant on the license plate), however a deal made in doing that has it that you do not get points on your license for this fine (i.e. you just send in the fine like a parking ticket though you do have the option to fight it). A few places on Long Island actually did away with red light cameras after implementing them as it is obvious that it is about revenue more than safety.

So I don't know how they do it in CT but I wouldn't be surprised if you get mailed a ticket (I do see a prior post saying red light cameras are illegal in CT and I have never heard of them in CT at all). In the 3 Westchester cities I mentioned they have signs at the city lines warning you may come across red light cameras but no warning at the actual sites. Good luck!

Old 10-13-2019, 09:54 AM

9,095 posts, read 13,104,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
In NY (where quite a few towns have them, for example in Westchester County I know of Mt. Vernon, New Rochelle and Yonkers, I think NYC does it in some spots too), they DO send them in the mail (to the registrant on the license plate), however a deal made in doing that has it that you do not get points on your license for this fine (i.e. you just send in the fine like a parking ticket though you do have the option to fight it). A few places on Long Island actually did away with red light cameras after implementing them as it is obvious that it is about revenue more than safety.

So I don't know how they do it in CT but I wouldn't be surprised if you get mailed a ticket (I do see a prior post saying red light cameras are illegal in CT and I have never heard of them in CT at all). In the 3 Westchester cities I mentioned they have signs at the city lines warning you may come across red light cameras but no warning at the actual sites. Good luck!
New York City has them and they probably take in huge revenue. Unfortunately that revenue just goes down a bottomless pit of party waste.

On Long Island, Nassau County had them and Suffolk County was about to add them as well until there was a mass public outcry. Turns out people like seniors who had never had a speeding ticket in their entire lives were all of a sudden getting these camera tickets. So Suffolk backed down and a year or two later Nassau County took them out.

A rare victory for the taxpayers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut