Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2019, 12:09 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
What makes you think next year will be different than any other recent year? I call extreme skepticism on that intuition.

If there's a nationwide recession, sure, then it could happen. But there's nothing on the horizon locally to suggest that next year will be "the year" for any extreme drop.

My prediction is prices will actually begin to level out in a lot of places.
I agree. No one can reliably predict where the market will go. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2019, 01:29 PM

4,453 posts, read 3,345,929 times
Bloomtown,

I forgot to mention something. I now live in Trumbull which is in Fairfield County CT. The cost of living and taxes will probably be too high for us in retirement and I would like to live in a town on the water. My husband and I would like to live in the area east of New Haven being Branford, Guilford and Madison. I have been looking at properties/prices east of New Haven and going to the area a lot. I have also been looking at other towns also just for comparison.

This is my observation. The homes in Guilford and Madison are going up more than many surrounding towns. Even though the numbers might show that Madison is taking a little dip I still think Madison is doing a lot better than many towns in CT including many towns in wealthy Fairfield County.

What say you other posters on my observation about prices in Madison?

Old 11-01-2019, 01:46 PM

6,892 posts, read 3,736,068 times
Quote:
What makes you think next year will be different than any other recent year? I call extreme skepticism on that intuition.

If there's a nationwide recession, sure, then it could happen. But there's nothing on the horizon locally to suggest that next year will be "the year" for any extreme drop.

My prediction is prices will actually begin to level out in a lot of places.
Just an intuition, nothing more nothing less. I think some shadow inventory joins the market.
I didn't say anything about extreme price drops , I have no idea. Just more inventory.

Old 11-01-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Bloomtown,

I forgot to mention something. I now live in Trumbull which is in Fairfield County CT. The cost of living and taxes will probably be too high for us in retirement and I would like to live in a town on the water. My husband and I would like to live in the area east of New Haven being Branford, Guilford and Madison. I have been looking at properties/prices east of New Haven and going to the area a lot. I have also been looking at other towns also just for comparison.

This is my observation. The homes in Guilford and Madison are going up more than many surrounding towns. Even though the numbers might show that Madison is taking a little dip I still think Madison is doing a lot better than many towns in CT including many towns in wealthy Fairfield County.

This brings up an excellent point about home prices. Since the data often quoted is median sale price, it does not necessarily mean that the actual price of homes have gone down. It just means more lower priced homes have sold. Since what determines a home’s selling price is complicated and no two homes are exactly alike, it is very hard to truly quantify home prices. Jay

Old 11-01-2019, 02:04 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Just an intuition, nothing more nothing less. I think some shadow inventory joins the market.
I didn't say anything about extreme price drops , I have no idea. Just more inventory.
Serious increases in inventory *usually* brings about a drop, unless there's a steady influx of people. Which we don't have.

We will see!

Old 11-01-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I think the coastline from Bridgeport to Old Saybrook might currently be the strongest market in the state.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:15 PM

712 posts, read 542,272 times
Quote:
I think the coastline from Bridgeport to Old Saybrook might currently be the strongest market in the state.

Overall take on housing mkt , Fairfield county is worse than New Haven county, new Haven county is worse than Hartford county. I met a friend in Hartford suburb who denie any housing price drop in last 10 years.

The only explanation is my article of Stamford ubs building issue pulling down nearby towns in new Haven county.

Hartford is very remote and has almost no commuters to Stamford. Therefore has no impact from ubs building shut down.

Old 11-01-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Serious increases in inventory *usually* brings about a drop, unless there's a steady influx of people. Which we don't have.

We will see!
And inventory, new listings and Days on Market are all down. That means an improving market. Jay

Old 11-01-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
Overall take on housing mkt , Fairfield county is worse than New Haven county, new Haven county is worse than Hartford county. I met a friend in Hartford suburb who denie any housing price drop in last 10 years.

The only explanation is my article of Stamford ubs building issue pulling down nearby towns in new Haven county.

Hartford is very remote and has almost no commuters to Stamford. Therefore has no impact from ubs building shut down.
Evidence that Hartford area is stronger? Other than anecdotal?

Old 11-01-2019, 04:13 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,113 times
Each month we get closer to the national election. The market will not go up here till after, depending on the results. Not bullish on CT housing. Wages and population trends being a big factor with Ct legacy costs. Madison is a great town, but all are struggling...
It just sucks less in the ROI dept!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut