Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you use if service expanded?
Metro-North New Haven Line (New Haven to Grand Central) 3 16.67%
Shore Line East (Bridgeport to New London) 1 5.56%
New Haven - Springfield Line 5 27.78%
None. I'd still drive. 9 50.00%
None. I work from home. 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 04:41 PM

796 posts, read 1,745,820 times

Advertisements

If the New Haven Metro-North Line, Shore Line East, or maybe even the New Haven-Springfield Line were to receive more trains, faster service, or in the New Haven-Springfield Line case, become a commuter rail network all together, would you use one of them to get to work instead of driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 06:15 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,951,074 times
I'd like to see the Waterbury line extended.

Old 10-29-2014, 06:18 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,466,495 times
I'm only 25 minutes from Hartford so it's not a bad drive, but it would be nice to not have to worry about driving and hop a train from Wallingford to Hartford like we do from Milford to GCT instead of dealing with Amtrak. More trains and possibly a quicker ride right into the downtown where the restaurants and nightlife are or at least walking distance too...safe walking distance that is. Not like Norwalk where you have to get off and stroll through the project and down the road to get to the nightlife.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:47 PM

678 posts, read 840,621 times
Could have something mirroring I-84? That would be nice. Like, Danbury to Hartford would be just bloody perfect!

Old 10-30-2014, 06:24 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,466,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Could have something mirroring I-84? That would be nice. Like, Danbury to Hartford would be just bloody perfect!
Based on the traffic issues I see daily on TV alone that sounds like a really feasible and worthwhile investment.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:19 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,092,370 times
One issue I see with rail service in CT (particularly on a line like Springfield -New Haven) is that towns and neighborhoods in CT are very spread out. So even people who take the train still have to spend part of their commute driving to the train station. So if you're going to have to drive, say, 15 minutes to the train station just to wait and get on a train, many people may find it better to just drive the entire way to work. I'm originally from CT but live in NJ now, and we have this same type of issue in NJ. Parking is a major hassle at most train stations, with people waiting years just to get a parking permit.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:27 AM

1,063 posts, read 1,353,570 times
If service was expanded to include places not on the line at all now, or if I worked somewhere on the current line? Sure.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:35 AM

4,713 posts, read 5,921,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
One issue I see with rail service in CT (particularly on a line like Springfield -New Haven) is that towns and neighborhoods in CT are very spread out. So even people who take the train still have to spend part of their commute driving to the train station. So if you're going to have to drive, say, 15 minutes to the train station just to wait and get on a train, many people may find it better to just drive the entire way to work. I'm originally from CT but live in NJ now, and we have this same type of issue in NJ. Parking is a major hassle at most train stations, with people waiting years just to get a parking permit.
It depends, though. New Haven is not very big area-wise, and neither are Hartford, New Britain or Meriden. Plus, suburban towns like Plainville, Cromwell, Rocky Hill, Wethersfield, Newington, and a few others are fairly small in terms of square miles. Of course, if you're outside those smaller towns and cities, you're going to have to drive.

However, central and SW CT, northern NJ and the NYC areas are probably the heaviest density areas of the country. If people have to wait for years for parking passes in NJ and Fairfield County CT, is there also a way to build more parking? (No idea on that, but I would guess the answer is either "no" or that it would be very expensive)

Old 10-30-2014, 08:37 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,229,223 times
Nope. I can use the Metro North now (with a connection) and it's still shorter for me to drive.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:40 AM

21,534 posts, read 27,771,504 times
If it was significantly faster (true high-speed), I would be very interested in commuting to NYC via train. We certainly don't need more stops on the New Haven line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut