Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2019, 03:13 PM

88 posts, read 84,896 times

Advertisements

Hello, so my husband, son, and I are moving. We are a young family in the beginning stages of our careers. My husband works in ridgefield, hence our location choices of Bristol, Plymouth, Terryville, Wolcott, or Woodbury.

Of those towns, can anyone tell me the following:

What is the town like? (i.e. are there restaurants, things to do, parks, etc.)

What are the schools like? (our son is 2 and so we would love to know which of the options above have good public schools)

What are the people like? (are they friendly, open minded, accepting, etc.)

What is the crime like?

If you've lived in any of the above areas I'd love to hear about those towns. We are at the beginning of the house searching process and so any/all feedback would be appreciated!!

My husband and I love to hang out in coffee shops, book stores, or walk in dog parks with our son and so we are looking for an area that would have those things to do and is a family friendly town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2019, 04:10 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Will you have to commute anywhere? What’s your budget and what do you expect to get for that price?

I’d suggest you start your search in the Danbury area if your husband works in Ridgefield. Look into Bethel, Brookfield, Newtown, Southbury, Oxford and Monroe. You might even consider Middlebury. They will offer a relatively painless commute to Ridgefield, as Bristol, Terryville, Plymouth and Thomaston will be very far. Schools perform very well in all towns I suggested and crime very low.

From what you desire, it sounds like Bethel, Newtown or Southbury might be a good fit.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Will you have to commute anywhere? What’s your budget and what do you expect to get for that price?

I’d suggest you start your search in the Danbury area if your husband works in Ridgefield. Look into Bethel, Brookfield, Newtown, Southbury, Oxford and Monroe. You might even consider Middlebury. They will offer a relatively painless commute to Ridgefield, as Bristol, Terryville, Plymouth and Thomaston will be very far. Schools perform very well in all towns I suggested and crime very low.

From what you desire, it sounds like Bethel, Newtown or Southbury might be a good fit.

So Danbury from what I know, has not great school systems hence why danbury is not on our list. We are used to Fairfield. We are looking for under $200k houses and have found a lot of beautiful ones in Bristol, Terryville and Plymouth and some in Wolcott. At the moment only have found condo's in woodbury.

We haven't found any houses in our budget in Southbury, Middlebury, Bethel and New Fairfield.

My parents live in Fairfield so 2x/month on the weekends we will drive to them so they can spend time with our son as they've really grown attached to him while we've lived with them while saving for a house.

Only places we'd need to drive to are Ridgefield and Fairfield. My husband ideally doesn't want to drive more than an hour and fifteen minutes to work, hence our list.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:33 PM

138 posts, read 114,991 times
Fairfield County has the best school districts in the state.

As for the area you are considering, Bristol schools are not the greatest. Look at their neighbor, Southington, however. Great town, a place I visit often, with great schools. Terryville, Wolcott, and Thomaston have more then adequate school districts, but these are smaller towns, too.

It seems like you are willing to drive a bit if you are going to drive to Ridgefield for work, so you can find plenty of things to do in this area. Hartford seems like it would be well within your comfortable driving distance, and probably New Haven, too. New Haven is a great city.

Bristol has a higher crime rate then Terryville/Wolcott/Thomaston/Woodbury, but Bristol is still a very safe place, so don't take that the wrong way. The other towns are completely safe, as is Southington. Of course one never knows when a crime will happen, but the odds are in your favor in the other towns, and they probably are in Bristol, too.

I have found people in all of these towns to be friendly.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:33 PM

370 posts, read 609,068 times
A commute to Ridgefield from any of those towns would be insane. Woodlake condos in Woodbury have beyond ridiculous HOA fees. $200k house in a desirable location with good schools and a reasonable commute to Ridgefield gets you nothing unfortunately...unless you consider something in Danbury or maybe a condo in New Milford.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha830 View Post
Fairfield County has the best school districts in the state.

As for the area you are considering, Bristol schools are not the greatest. Look at their neighbor, Southington, however. Great town, a place I visit often, with great schools. Terryville, Wolcott, and Thomaston have more then adequate school districts, but these are smaller towns, too.

It seems like you are willing to drive a bit if you are going to drive to Ridgefield for work, so you can find plenty of things to do in this area. Hartford seems like it would be well within your comfortable driving distance, and probably New Haven, too. New Haven is a great city.

Bristol has a higher crime rate then Terryville/Wolcott/Thomaston/Woodbury, but Bristol is still a very safe place, so don't take that the wrong way. The other towns are completely safe, as is Southington. Of course one never knows when a crime will happen, but the odds are in your favor in the other towns, and they probably are in Bristol, too.

I have found people in all of these towns to be friendly.
Thanks, I'll check out Southington. Do you have kids in the Bristol school system or do you know of kids in there? Our main concern is having teachers that believe in kids and put in effort and lower rates of bullying.

From what I saw on Zillow Thomaston didn't have good reviews, but I'll dig deeper! My husband loves nature so he isn't turned off by not being in a small town. My husband is an auto tech at BMW so he LOVES driving haha and really doesn't mind. I work from home so I don't have to worry about any commuting.

Do you know anything about Hartford and New Haven and their schools?

Old 11-06-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha830 View Post
Hartford seems like it would be well within your comfortable driving distance, and probably New Haven, too. New Haven is a great city.
Worst advice ever.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
A commute to Ridgefield from any of those towns would be insane. Woodlake condos in Woodbury have beyond ridiculous HOA fees. $200k house in a desirable location with good schools and a reasonable commute to Ridgefield gets you nothing unfortunately...unless you consider something in Danbury or maybe a condo in New Milford.
OMG yes, Woodlake Condo's is what my husband and I were looking at, and yes their HOA fees are high (we were looking at condos with up to $390 HOA's.... but when the realtor sent us the restrictions.... I felt like we were moving out of my parents house into another community with tons of rules... so my husband and I crossed those and all condos off the list. One of the condo rules is if someone can see inside your window you can't have any wall art or poster that someone can see by looking at your condo... that rule alone made my husband and I cringe on how strict it was.

We found some nice options for us in Plymouth, Terryville, and Bristol so far that we think look nice and would want to visit.... I don't know exactly the area and if it's good.

https://www.redfin.com/CT/Terryville...m_content=link

https://www.redfin.com/CT/Bristol/36.../home/54398436

https://www.redfin.com/CT/Bristol/49.../home/54394754

Those are just some of the things we've seen so we are finding places, we just want to make sure our son is in a good school system...

Old 11-06-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13thx10 View Post
From what I saw on Zillow Thomaston didn't have good reviews, but I'll dig deeper! My husband loves nature so he isn't turned off by not being in a small town. My husband is an auto tech at BMW so he LOVES driving haha and really doesn't mind. I work from home so I don't have to worry about any commuting.
Condo or a fixer upper in New Milford is your best bet. Nice walkable downtown and near plenty of nature to the north.

Old 11-06-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Condo or a fixer upper in New Milford is your best bet. Nice walkable downtown and near plenty of nature to the north.
We don't have the money to really fully fix up a place. For us we don't mind moving into a place that needs cosmetic work (like painting, new fixtures, etc.) but if the kitchen or bathroom are not good we don't have the money to spend to fix those expensive areas of the house.

My husband just sent me this house in Southington and we joked it looks like a fortress but looks promising

https://www.redfin.com/CT/Plantsvill...m_content=link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut