Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2019, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 1,710 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are contemplating a move to the "quiet corner" of CT, possibly the Thompson/Killingly/Woodstock/Pomfret area or really anywhere in Windham County (staying above Norwich).

Any thoughts on the school systems in that area? Any to definitely avoid? I know little about them except that Woodstock Academy has a good reputation (though it is large).

Kids would be doing middle and high school there, so I'd be interested to know if anyone has had experience with moving kids that age into a new system.

Thanks in advance for any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2019, 01:40 PM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,383 times
The parents and students I know in Woodstock are happy with the middle school and the Academy. The Academy is an independent school that serves as a high school for the area towns and also enrolls students from elsewhere (who pay tuition, room & board). Their website would be the best source of factual information. They have a good reputation.

Pomfret and Thompson are home to some private schools (Pomfret School, Rectory School, Marianapolis Preparatory), but I have not heard much about their public systems. I imagine they are small, given the population sizes of these towns.

I would not group Killingly with the other towns you have listed. It has made the news for the wrong reasons a few too many times over the last 20 years or so.

Old 11-12-2019, 01:50 PM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Connecticut does not have large county wide school districts because there are no county levels of government. Each town decides how it’s children are educated. Most towns have their own school districts but some of the smaller towns ban together to form regional school districts. Some towns will have their own elementary schools but send their children to a regional middle or high school. It depends on the town.

I have a couple coworkers that live in Woodstock and are pleased with schools there. Woodstock has its own elementary and middle school but then send their high school students to The Woodstock Academy. The Woodstock Academy is an independent secondary school for both local day students and boarding students from around the country and the world. Students from the towns of Woodstock, Pomfret, Brooklyn, Canterbury, Eastford, and Union may attend The Academy as day students through town-paid tuition contracts. This is kind of a unique arrangement but works well. I would consider any of the towns that send their students there to have good schools. Jay

Old 11-12-2019, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,710 times
So helpful!! Thank you so much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut