Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 06:05 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,920,856 times

Advertisements

New Haven
Hartford
Bridgeport
Stamford
Waterbury
New London/Norwich
Meriden
New Britain
Norwalk
Derby/Ansonia
Danbury
Middletown

While Stamford is booming, New Haven see a lot of development, Hartford and Bridgeport seeing new sign of life which CT city see big transformation by 2027-2029
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2019, 07:22 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
I’m hoping that Bridgeport has a Renaissance soon, but it’s far from certain.

New Haven has great trajectory and might have better leadership soon too.

Stamford, while strong, is plateauing.

A lot of towns in your list aren’t really cities...

Old 11-23-2019, 07:40 PM

34,010 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Norwalk is best poised, capitalizing on Merriitt7 region.

Stamford will hold its own.

The rest have seen their best days, long ago.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:37 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Anything in the southwest up to and New Haven. My hometown of Norwich will never amount to much. It's best days were probably before 1960. It's a dirty, sleepy, boring city but it has great architecture and nature areas. New London might have a better chance if it can gentrify a little bit. It's on I95 afterall.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:52 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

Stamford I think has the most Fortune 500s of any city in the New York City area outside the city. It's also substantially larger than the other major cities in CT area wise so even though it was built less dense than Bridgeport I'm positive it can become the states largest city.

I know Hartford could turn around one day too. Young people love mid size cities lately and Hartford has the look and feel of an even bigger city. It also has a legacy economy it could build upon or at least rely on while the local economy diversifies. Hartford's got great suburbs too.

New Haven can exploit and build upon its university culture. Young people love liberal arts type cities. It's also got proximity to NY so it will eventually see some growth anyway. The best this state can hope for imo is to become an easy alternative to the expensive inner metros of New York and Boston.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:55 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
I think that Stamford and Norwalk will continue to do well and stay strong. New Haven is doing really well with a steady flow of development. Hartford continues its steady pace of improvement as well. To me Bridgeport is a bit questionable given it’s political history. Still there is quite a bit going on. Meriden seems to be building on the CTrail station which is good. Danbury will remain steady. I think New Britain has a chance due to its political leadership under Erin Stewart. Derby seems ready to finally see some new development in its downtown but I don’t see anything happening in Antonia. I don’t see much happening in Waterbury, Norwich or New London. Will see. Jay

Old 11-23-2019, 09:09 PM

34,010 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Stamford is solid now. Not sure it is as solid by 2030. A lot of what it has added, the last few decades, as we saw with RBS/UBS is subject to 2 bad factors, (1) Bubbles, and (2) Reliance on financial industry size of greater metro NYC region. I expect by 2030, perhaps even 2025, most here will be startled to see financial related corps all over the nation, with a smaller % in NYC corridor.

I'd like to see Ct diversify away from the financial sector somewhat.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:24 PM

1,572 posts, read 1,559,949 times
Let's hope New Britain can improve. Columbus Commons is coming along nicely. Fairly close to downtown. Easy access to CT Fastrak, too. It's really going to sting (pun intended) with losing pro baseball.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:43 PM

70 posts, read 40,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Stamford I think has the most Fortune 500s of any city in the New York City area outside the city. It's also substantially larger than the other major cities in CT area wise so even though it was built less dense than Bridgeport I'm positive it can become the states largest city.

I know Hartford could turn around one day too. Young people love mid size cities lately and Hartford has the look and feel of an even bigger city. It also has a legacy economy it could build upon or at least rely on while the local economy diversifies. Hartford's got great suburbs too.

New Haven can exploit and build upon its university culture. Young people love liberal arts type cities. It's also got proximity to NY so it will eventually see some growth anyway. The best this state can hope for imo is to become an easy alternative to the expensive inner metros of New York and Boston.
The cities in and around FFC though arent necessarily that much cheaper than NY and Boston.

Old 11-25-2019, 07:13 AM

6,878 posts, read 3,729,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post

Merritt7 began construction in the late 70's - early 80's and has housed many top Corps for decades. Not sure that qualifies as "ready to take off".

Stamford and Norwalk smartly took advantage of location decades ago. They're old news.
I do see some new cranes resurfacing in Harbor Point though, more to come there I guess.

I see Fairfield as the next big player. Some big things going on there.

Derby/Ansonia?? cities? what's that? 20K population combined. Whatever.

You have to give Bridgeport an A for effort at the least. I'm excited for the new amphitheatre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut