Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2019, 04:12 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,202,923 times

Advertisements

I’d caution the OP that even if you have something in writing, it may not always hold up in the future. City governments are very strong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 10:04 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
I know people that are in this situation. Their house is in one town but their backyard is in another. Their kids went to the town the house sat in which fortunately had the better schools.

I believe however that the opposite happened in Watertown recently. The house technically was in Waterbury but the address of it was Watertown. For years kids in that house went Watertown schools which are decent but when Watertown realize the house was in Waterbury, they refused to accept the kids any longer. Waterbury schools do not perform well. The homeowner sued but I believe lost.

Either way I’d want it in writing from the school district before even considering it. Good luck. Jay

Old 12-31-2019, 07:00 AM

6,904 posts, read 3,742,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friday13thx10 View Post
Hello I was wondering if anyone knew about when looking at buying a home, when a house and the property are in two towns (one with good schools, the other with bad schools) about which schools the kids would be sent to?

If we got the house we would pay taxes to both towns. Our realtor asked the listing agent, who sent this: Property is split between TownA and TownB. House and .17 acres is in TownA, garage and .33 acres is in TownB. Owner pays $3842 annually to TownA and $243.91 annually to TownB.

My realtor talked to the school board of the schools we would like our child to go to, and they said it should be fine. My realtor said that if part of the dwelling is in that town then yes. The detached garage for the house is in the good school town.

I'll be talking to the school district on Thursday but wondered if anyone knew anything about a situation like this.... and is a detached garage considered part of a dwelling??? If not, could we make it so (like a detached office, or a playroom, etc.??)

Thanks!
I know I partially answered already, but I would assume Town A since thats where 95% of the tax is paid. In fact, I would demand it.

A cohort in Trumbull informed me they give the choice to the homeowners if the property abuts Bridgeport and believes it may be the same for Fairfield.
If its true I commend both towns. That shows true class and outstanding character and professionalism on their parts.

I feel embarrassed for a place like Watertown that Jay had talked about. Its petty spiteful and snobbery at its worst. They should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:01 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,711 times
The school district info needs to be in writing from the BOE. The realtors will tell you anything to make the sale. But still, probably best to steer clear if there is that much of a discrepancy between the schools and there is any question as to which school district would apply.

This sort of thing has been a recurring issue in the Waterbury area, specifically along the Middlebury and Cheshire town lines with Waterbury. There have been lawsuits and I know that one family lost the battle to keep their kids in Middlebury/region 15 schools. The house in question had a Middlebury mailing address but was mostly in Waterbury. The kids had been in region 15 schools for a long time, I want to say at least 5-6 years, and had to switch.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:35 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,975,595 times
Per the rules the state created in 1997, if a property straddles a town boundary, the student shall attend school in the town the dwelling is located in. This means the mailing address does not matter and the portion of land in each town does not matter. The child goes to school in the town in which the house is physically located. Only if the boundary lines cut through the house may the child attend school in either town.

In your case this means your child would be legally entitled to go to school in Town A, but not in Town B.

Sources:

https://www.ncps-k12.org/site/handle..._Residency.pdf

https://norwalkps.org/UserFiles/Serv...rminations.pdf

Your Child's Residency Status - Maya Murphy, P.C.

Old 12-31-2019, 07:43 AM

830 posts, read 1,093,256 times
If dwelling (literally bedroom) is in good school district then you're pretty much guaranteed you're fine. Otherwise, I would be cautious.

Old 12-31-2019, 08:06 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Per the rules the state created in 1997, if a property straddles a town boundary, the student shall attend school in the town the dwelling is located in. This means the mailing address does not matter and the portion of land in each town does not matter. The child goes to school in the town in which the house is physically located. Only if the boundary lines cut through the house may the child attend school in either town.

In your case this means your child would be legally entitled to go to school in Town A, but not in Town B.

Sources:

https://www.ncps-k12.org/site/handle..._Residency.pdf

https://norwalkps.org/UserFiles/Serv...rminations.pdf

Your Child's Residency Status - Maya Murphy, P.C.
I believe this law may have been the reason why Watertown said the kids could not go to their schools. The house was in Waterbury. Only the front yard was in Watertown which is why the house had a Watertown address. Jay

Old 12-31-2019, 02:31 PM

21,752 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Check with the city/town. Only way to know for sure, and get it in writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut