Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2021, 10:14 AM

680 posts, read 1,575,328 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I hope everyone on this forum is doing well and staying healthy.

I appreciate someone starting this thread. I was transferred to our company's APAC office and did not have many chances to visit Connecticut for the past few years. However, I still a own a rental property in Wilton with a great tenant family. Current rental yield after all expenses before taxes is a measly 4.5%. Based on Zillow, the rate I am charging is 15% lower than the current median zillow rent estimate.

I was tempted to sell it in the current market. However, I have no better idea on what to do with the cash. Of all the asset classes available to me, I could not find a better risk adjusted investment than real estate at the current juncture. Relative to equities, bonds and crypto, the run up of real estate prices in the suburbs looks mild if you consider that is driven by both structural shift to WFH and monetary policy. If rates are hiked, the structural trend of WFH will still linger for awhile and limit housing price decline. I cannot say the same for other asset classes that are basically air.

The only trade that made sense to me is to sell in the suburb and buy in the city and hope everyone has to go back to office. However, NYC prices still look insanely overpriced to me. I have no idea how those developers managed to get perpetual payment extensions from their creditors.

If someone has a better idea of what to do with the cash after you sell your house, Im all ears.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:09 AM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Hello,

If someone has a better idea of what to do with the cash after you sell your house, Im all ears.
In this case I would liquidate. NOW! Let it sit then reinvest at the next market or RE declines. Not a matter of if but when. They will. You'll never time the peaks and valleys with 100% accuracy but close enough works.

Last edited by SteveM85; 05-21-2021 at 11:19 AM..

Old 05-21-2021, 11:33 AM

680 posts, read 1,575,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
In this case I would liquidate. NOW! Let it sit then reinvest at the next market or RE declines. Not a matter of if but when. They will. You'll never time the peaks and valleys with 100% accuracy but close enough works.

You are assuming this is close to the peak for real estate and I am just not so sure. Closing cost is super high so my capital gain after expenses and taxes is just about 4 years of net rent. Doesnt seem to be worth the trouble at this stage when I can get the same after 4 years (assuming rent does not fall).

For this reason, I feel there is some fundamental support for home prices unless rent falls dramatically.

Old 05-21-2021, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post

You are assuming this is close to the peak for real estate and I am just not so sure. Closing cost is super high so my capital gain after expenses and taxes is just about 4 years of net rent. Doesnt seem to be worth the trouble at this stage when I can get the same after 4 years (assuming rent does not fall).

For this reason, I feel there is some fundamental support for home prices unless rent falls dramatically.
you answered your own question then

Old 05-21-2021, 06:23 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
In speaking with a realtor in central Connecticut (he covers Branford, Guilford area), he brought up one issue that has been a nightmare for his office: the failure of homes to appraise at their agreed to sale price. This tells me that not nearly as many people are paying cash, or have the cash off hand to bridge the gap.

This tells me there will be lots of issues down the road.

Old 05-21-2021, 08:09 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In speaking with a realtor in central Connecticut (he covers Branford, Guilford area), he brought up one issue that has been a nightmare for his office: the failure of homes to appraise at their agreed to sale price. This tells me that not nearly as many people are paying cash, or have the cash off hand to bridge the gap.

Ive heard this is a problem across the country actually. My real estate friends in Fairfield County though say they don’t see as big a problem with it there. I haven’t seen many, if any, lost or delayed sales here though so it’s not an insurmountable problem to deal with. Jay

Old 05-21-2021, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Ive heard this is a problem across the country actually. My real estate friends in Fairfield County though say they don’t see as big a problem with it there. I haven’t seen many, if any, lost or delayed sales here though so it’s not an insurmountable problem to deal with. Jay
That’s not what my family friend noted. He said especially in the last month, his office has been trying to get creative to bridge that gap between buyers and sellers when homes don’t appraise. He also said it wasn’t specific to his office as many realtors are seeing this issue in his local area. His last sale (I believe it closed yesterday) the buyers in Guilford had to be gifted the 20k to cover the difference by other family members. The buyer wouldn’t budge. Not good.

Any realtors here seeing this more than usual?

Last edited by kidyankee764; 05-21-2021 at 08:27 PM..

Old 05-22-2021, 03:53 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,037,963 times
Quote:

Not super surprised - although the failure to appraise thing isn’t market specific- happening in Denver, Dallas, Seattle too. Cash or large down payment is definitely a thing in the western part of the state right now.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:55 AM

Quote:

I don't know either way. I don't know that many people near me to corroborate, I wouldn't know who to call or where to look that up, but I would expect it to be the case. With more transactions than normal, you'd expect more deals to fall through. Not surprised. It's fair to pose the questions on issues down the road. We've seen how these things turn out. Usually not for the better. Buyers buying with hearts and emotions, not brains, RE investors feeling invincible riding paper highs on an on. I don't think will be on the brink of global disaster and collapse like CT Yank would have you believe. More like a correction.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Not super surprised - although the failure to appraise thing isn’t market specific- happening in Denver, Dallas, Seattle too. Cash or large down payment is definitely a thing in the western part of the state right now.
Right, but this is the Connecticut forum and I was informed of this by a southcentral CT realtor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut