Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2022, 07:30 AM

6,900 posts, read 3,738,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsek View Post
Please don't make this discussion personal.

My point is, a 7-8% 30Y rate makes it impossible for all first-time buyers, and also effectively traps homeowners who don't have sufficient positive equity. Hence the word disaster.
I don't know about impossible, they could adjust down budget, but no question it's a detriment. That's obvious. Everyone knows higher interest rates can create a barrier. There's no doubt about it.
Best of luck in the search

Old 06-17-2022, 07:47 AM

512 posts, read 351,685 times
Quote:
My point is, a 7-8% 30Y rate makes it impossible for all first-time buyers, and also effectively traps homeowners who don't have sufficient positive equity. Hence the word disaster.
I agree that this is most detrimental to first time buyers. I am not sure about how many homeowners will be trapped. So far, prices haven't dropped much or at all and even newer homeowners have ridden the appreciation wave where they are sitting on some equity. Unless one bought their house yesterday, they have benefitted from the rapid appreciation of homes. The truth of the matter is none of us know how this will play out. Everyone can scream "crash! bubble!" but it doesn't make it so. The housing market will at least cool off with interest rates the way they are. Anything else is just a guess. At the end of the day we all need a place to live and sometimes people absolutely have to move and can't wait until the stars align.

Old 06-17-2022, 10:35 AM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
Quote:
Please don't make this discussion personal.

Not just that but let's hope that people weren't doing adjustable mortgages and everyone buying properties locked in rates when they were low. Anyone who has am ARM will get sticker shock when it changes and the bill comes

Old 06-17-2022, 03:00 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,669 times
Quote:
It looks like real estate is the last domino standing. The 10Y is still going up... 8% mortgage rates soon? What a disaster.

Cash buyers don't care about interest rates. 30% of all home sales in the US are for cash. I would expect CT percentage to be the same.

Old 06-17-2022, 03:39 PM

83,514 posts, read 75,277,900 times
I believe the Fed wants to raise the rates 4 more times this year. So if they do 0.5 points each time that would bring the Avg 30yr fixed mortgage rates to over 7% by end of year.

That means with not so good credit and some banks will be over 8%

Old 06-19-2022, 10:50 AM

1,853 posts, read 1,954,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Cash buyers don't care about interest rates. 30% of all home sales in the US are for cash. I would expect CT percentage to be the same.
Cash buyers and investors won't be able to carry the market in CT. I'm watching this closely as we'll have a good sense of what happens to the RE market over the next few months. We're seeing demand dropping, however, will supply drop as well? If so, we'll see some sort of a short-term equilibrium.

As job losses mount and the labor market tightens with employers requiring employees to be back in the office -- we'll see some real price drops/shifts in the market.

I'm glad to have sold my less desirable properties when I did. Pretty much everyone who sold around me (Fairfield County) did very well. The irrationality of homebuyers was astounding and when they end up in a no equity/negative equity situation, they'll have no one to blame but their choices.

Last edited by JayCT; 06-19-2022 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: Remove off topic comment

Old 06-20-2022, 06:17 AM

538 posts, read 331,104 times
What's worse for 1st time home buyers?

A. High RE prices with lower rates
B. Lower RE prices with higher rates

Old 06-20-2022, 06:42 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,378,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post

IMO, Lower RE prices with higher rates.....can always refi when rates drop

Old 06-20-2022, 06:48 AM

6,900 posts, read 3,738,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post

Assuming the same house:

"A" means you bought at a market high. If it's a less than say 5-8ish year stint, you may have to sell at a loss. How steep is anybody's guess.

If you plan on refi or staying long term or forever and payoff early, then "B", no question.

Forever and payoff early could be fine with A too

Old 06-20-2022, 06:49 AM

57 posts, read 46,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
IMO, Lower RE prices with higher rates.....can always refi when rates drop
My interest rate as a first-time homebuyer who bought (jumbo loan) in summer 2021 is 2.75%. Not sure when we will see rates that low again and I wouldn’t count on being able to be refinance to a rate that low if I were to buy in the next couple of years, after prices dip a bit. My rate is the lowest my parents (70s) can remember seeing since they were aware of such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut