Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2020, 02:13 PM

6,899 posts, read 3,738,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Yep. That's the kind of stuff I was clicking on. $550K buys you a 2,000 square foot 1950s or 1960s middle class house in pretty good condition on a lot bigger than 100x100. With 20% down and today's low interest rates, you should be able to handle that on low $100's household income even with the $6K-ish property taxes. It's not the trophy home but if you're doing the kid track and want the gold plated school system, that's simply not possible in the other high cost of living regions. You can do the Home Depot/Lowes KraftMaid/Silestone quartz/stainless kitchen upgrade later.
As always, the voice of reason on here.
Couldn't have said it better.

Old 01-09-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I don't think you can speak about the towns/neighborhoods that I have listed unless you have access to Corelogic data that tracks these things for micro-communities. If do you have access to Corelogic, then I recommend you do a search. I do this for my investments as in putting where my money where my mouth is.

CT as a whole may be struggling, FFC as a whole may be struggling, however if you get down to a granular level, there are communities that are doing just fine. Key is denser, well located neighborhoods priced in the low to mid tier for the community.

As for Darien, even those 6 listings are considered to be 300%+ increase from last Summer or prior years where there were 1-2 listing under $600K. Darien and Westport fit a similar population, housing density profile in comparison to Greenwich, Fairfield.
No, no Corelogic. I use the dumbed down KISS method approach. Its more effective and less time consuming. Like when I used to play baseball, see the ball, hit the ball. Sit on a fastball when you're 2-0, 3-1.
See lots of inventory and little to no pending sales, look for deals and make lowball offer. That's it.

I applaud you're enthusiasm and I hope for the greater good the market turns around here.
For my own selfish purposes I hope it keeps tanking. I'm actively pursuing coastal saltwater deals in Darien, Norwalk, and Westport up to the Compo region. Greens Farms and Southport are splendid but a little too far out. Stamford coastal hoods I find to be rundown, frankly. The Fairfield Beach area is just unattractive in appearance to me and way too far out.

All the best, keep the faith.

Old 01-09-2020, 04:41 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Yep. That's the kind of stuff I was clicking on. $550K buys you a 2,000 square foot 1950s or 1960s middle class house in pretty good condition on a lot bigger than 100x100. With 20% down and today's low interest rates, you should be able to handle that on low $100's household income even with the $6K-ish property taxes. It's not the trophy home but if you're doing the kid track and want the gold plated school system, that's simply not possible in the other high cost of living regions. You can do the Home Depot/Lowes KraftMaid/Silestone quartz/stainless kitchen upgrade later.
True. It wasn’t always possible, but due to what’s already been discussed, it now is. I cannot believe how low prices have dropped in Wilton, Weston, Ridgefield, etc. A lot of people wishing to downsize are going to lose some serious coin.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:00 PM

512 posts, read 442,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
As always, the voice of reason on here.
Couldn't have said it better.
Except; did you see the taxes on that house?! The house is $500k but the taxes are $13k! That’s probably why the house isn’t selling. And we all know taxes in CT will continue to go up. I’m sure the buyers are also taking into account potential resale, and as taxes keep going up, many homes in CT lose value. After all, most buyers look at the bottom line; mortgage + taxes + insurance, which will equal to their monthly payment and how much they can afford or want to pay on monthly basis.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:21 PM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Quote:
Well... I don't think potential buyers see it that way. Because Westport. And millennials.

I am not sure that people at that price point are looking in Westport or want to be in Westport at that income level/price point. That is close to the bottom at the economic totem pole for a middle class family. And you want to feel like you fit in where you live.

Most of us millennials want our houses to be move in ready. Those of us willing to renovate are getting some fabulous deals, but... If you are already in your late 30s, moving out to the burbs, kids/childcare costs on the horizon if not a reality already, and looking to spend 500-600k on a house - you don't want to have to dump 50-100k+ into it to make it what you want.

Old 01-09-2020, 05:41 PM

2,289 posts, read 2,945,461 times
I've been tracking SW CT for over a year now in case my spouse has to transfer there. We've decided Westport (Staples High) is the most likely place for us, so I'm living this discussion. The drop in price since the last purchase plus the upgrades that are necessary is staggering. It's 20%+ off what they paid for it.

I've always been in RE, so I do a ton of research before we buy. I think the best area by desirability/ammenities is within walking distance of DT Westport, but the inventory there is run down stuff that wasn't nice when it was built. The houses that could be fixed up and work for us are out in the "country" on 1+ acres. No thanks. btw, Fairfield has a nice section close to it's downtown, and that area sells quickly.

I think the problem is the inventory doesn't match up with the wants of buyers. It's not going to get better anytime soon.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Except; did you see the taxes on that house?! The house is $500k but the taxes are $13k! That’s probably why the house isn’t selling. And we all know taxes in CT will continue to go up. I’m sure the buyers are also taking into account potential resale, and as taxes keep going up, many homes in CT lose value. After all, most buyers look at the bottom line; mortgage + taxes + insurance, which will equal to their monthly payment and how much they can afford or want to pay on monthly basis.
No the homes we discussed were all in the 6K range. Westports mill rate is only $16 so 13K for a 500K market value home wouldn't add up. The town assessed value would have to be much higher than that.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvexpatinct View Post
Well... I don't think potential buyers see it that way. Because Westport. And millennials.

I am not sure that people at that price point are looking in Westport or want to be in Westport at that income level/price point. That is close to the bottom at the economic totem pole for a middle class family. And you want to feel like you fit in where you live.

Most of us millennials want our houses to be move in ready. Those of us willing to renovate are getting some fabulous deals, but... If you are already in your late 30s, moving out to the burbs, kids/childcare costs on the horizon if not a reality already, and looking to spend 500-600k on a house - you don't want to have to dump 50-100k+ into it to make it what you want.
Buyers buy what's availbale in their price range. Individual needs are moot as it doesn't change the fact that there are eye-opening prices available there in a gold plate school system, a rare opportunity.

I dismiss the notion that millenials don't want to renovate, they do it all the time, with or without kids.
Everyone watches the twin guys and Christina whats her name on HGTV when they're in the home buying process.
If they are buying a renovated home then who did the renos? the millenials they bought from.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:14 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
No the homes we discussed were all in the 6K range. Westports mill rate is only $16 so 13K for a 500K market value home wouldn't add up. The town assessed value would have to be much higher than that.

Yep. With the Connecticut 70% valuation law, those houses are a bit over $6K for property taxes.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:41 AM

1,929 posts, read 2,039,267 times
Quote:
Buyers buy what's availbale in their price range. Individual needs are moot as it doesn't change the fact that there are eye-opening prices available there in a gold plate school system, a rare opportunity.

I dismiss the notion that millenials don't want to renovate, they do it all the time, with or without kids.
Everyone watches the twin guys and Christina whats her name on HGTV when they're in the home buying process.
If they are buying a renovated home then who did the renos? the millenials they bought from.
Meh, Life circumstances and buyer preferences have changed rapidly in the past decade.

Approaching 40, two careers, two toddlers, childcare bills and student loans, and six months of construction dust to live out on an acre in one of the most congested parts of the country -- No thanks. Doesn't comp well against Fairfield, the river towns in NY, or northern NJ. If you want that acre lot there are deals to be had in other nearby towns that have more of a rural character but also great schools.

It's CT, not the bay area or Denver, there are well funded schools everywhere in the area. Westport just happens to be uniformly affluent and its performance reflects that.

I am a millennial with little kids in that price range for housing plus renovations. I don't have time or energy to deal with that. I used to, earlier in my career, but my salary didn't support it. I suspect that scenario is not unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut