Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2020, 07:21 AM

1,241 posts, read 902,278 times

Advertisements

It’s not YNH who made this decision, it was Yale University. YNH has zero control over Yale’s residential colleges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Bingo.

YNH should be ashamed of itself.

UNH alumni, of which I am not one, should be very proud. Their university is a good corporate citizen. I went to Fordham in the Bronx, who offered a lot of space to NYC in this time of need (Cuomo stated that last week). This is what alumni should EXPECT their universities to do, in fact they should demand it, by withholding contributions from those who fail to step up to the plate. As Cuomo has said well this last week, and I hope Ct businessmen and pols do, lead from the FRONT.

As for YNH's excuse: Any items in rooms could easily be carefully stored in other areas. if YNH is too ignorant to know how, surely Kaplan at UNH will offer his school's knowledge in how to do so.

At the very least, YNH could have emailed and called those with such items, asking their consent to do just that.

Last edited by JGBigGreen; 03-28-2020 at 07:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 07:25 AM

11,296 posts, read 18,882,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post
Connecticut Democrats love foreign refugees, but hate American citizen refugees.

"Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont said New Yorkers traveling to his state must self-quarantine and added he "would" have police stop drivers."

https://patch.com/connecticut/eastha...d-stop-cars-ny

Not sure how that's possible given that it borders NY and about 1/4 - 1/3 of the state is part of the NYC metropolitan area. Two of the first Westchester County cases were health care workers who worked in hospitals in Fairfield County. Maybe he can do this past FFC, I don't know.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
UNH did not have empty rooms either. They had them immediately emptied to accommodate for this emergency. Students likely didn’t leave valuables and they won’t be going back until next Fall semester, which means they will have to be emptied at some point anyway. I found it to be very elitist of Yale.

As someone with a kid in college who has a sister with 2 kids in college, I can tell you that most of them have had the students come back to empty their dorms often with little notice. For me the notice was a week ago yesterday and the moveout a week ago today (they gave the kids set days and times over a 4 day period to stagger it). For my sister whose kids go to college 400 miles away from her in 2 different directions, she had to do it last weekend and this weekend. I imagine Yale will do that very soon or at least should if they haven't already

Old 03-28-2020, 07:49 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,400 times
Have heard a few times about kids who came home themselves purposely leaving behind important things..... because they want a reason to go back.....not be stuck in parents house!
Kids I tell ya!

Old 03-28-2020, 07:54 AM

14,054 posts, read 13,929,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObedientSir View Post
Connecticut Democrats love foreign refugees, but hate American citizen refugees.

"Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont said New Yorkers traveling to his state must self-quarantine and added he "would" have police stop drivers."

https://patch.com/connecticut/eastha...d-stop-cars-ny
Border patrols in Fairfield County, Milford to New Haven ?

Old 03-28-2020, 08:29 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Not sure how that's possible given that it borders NY and about 1/4 - 1/3 of the state is part of the NYC metropolitan area. Two of the first Westchester County cases were health care workers who worked in hospitals in Fairfield County. Maybe he can do this past FFC, I don't know.....

As someone with a kid in college who has a sister with 2 kids in college, I can tell you that most of them have had the students come back to empty their dorms often with little notice. For me the notice was a week ago yesterday and the moveout a week ago today (they gave the kids set days and times over a 4 day period to stagger it). For my sister whose kids go to college 400 miles away from her in 2 different directions, she had to do it last weekend and this weekend. I imagine Yale will do that very soon or at least should if they haven't already
We can't go back to pick up anything else - we're on complete self-isolation, too high risk. Kid's college talked about having people come back to pick up stuff, then cancelled it as entire state went to lockdown, so going back to pick up kid's stuff doesn't qualify as essential or emergency.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:56 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
UNH did not have empty rooms either. They had them immediately emptied to accommodate for this emergency. Students likely didn’t leave valuables and they won’t be going back until next Fall semester, which means they will have to be emptied at some point anyway. I found it to be very elitist of Yale.
I commend UNH for stepping up to the plate and doing this but I still think it is not as easy as you think. You do not know what students left in their dorms. Neither does the school. Yale is opening itself up to a lot of issues if it just went in and removed students personal belongings without permission. I’m not saying they are right. I’m just saying it’s not as black and white as you think. Jay

Old 03-28-2020, 10:54 AM

Fairfield County and parts of New Haven County might be on lockdown soon

President Trump says he is considering imposing a quarantine on New York, parts of New Jersey and parts of Connecticut.

In a gaggle with reporters, the president said he had spoken with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo this morning and might make a decision later today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-connecticut/

Old 03-28-2020, 11:02 AM

184 posts, read 106,509 times
Its not even the Yale students stuff that is the issue, its who is cleaning up after the people sleeping in those dorms? Is Yale going to bring in the staff that normally cleans to clean up after sick adults, or health care workers that maybe sick? What about the cafeterias? Should they open those up so people can get something to eat?

Would it be nice if Yale did it, of course. Do I blame them for not, no. In a way, keeping the dorms closed, keeping the people who work in the dorms away, keeping their college as closed as possible, helps keep this thing from overwhelming New Haven and surrounding towns where their low-wage workforce comes from, who probably cannot afford to get sick from this.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:04 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Fairfield County and parts of New Haven County might be on lockdown soon

President Trump says he is considering imposing a quarantine on New York, parts of New Jersey and parts of Connecticut.

In a gaggle with reporters, the president said he had spoken with New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo this morning and might make a decision later today.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...d-connecticut/
New Haven county? Where’d you get that from? It didn’t specify where. This is serious so let’s not make assumptions until we know.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
New Haven county? Where’d you get that from? It didn’t specify where. This is serious so let’s not make assumptions until we know.

I am going by where most cases in the state and NYC metro area nothing is confirmed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut