Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2020, 07:19 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,557 times

Advertisements

Where did you get this 60% figure from? Was there a poll done or is it just made up? I suspect if things open back up in 2-4 weeks most people will eagerly resume there lives with some alterations like more social distancing in public places and wearing masks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneMeyer View Post
At least 60 percent of people are not going to step foot into a public space(stores restaraunts or business) if this virus is not under control. Most will work from home if they can. Most normal people think over 1800 deaths a day is beyond unacceptable. What's the point of opening things back up again if 60 percent of people can't or won't partake in it? The economy will suffer until this virus is completely under control and people are not under threat of death. Most rational people understand this is a highly contagious and deadly disease and we can't just go back to the way it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 07:28 PM

1,366 posts, read 994,154 times
So, who here feels this way.

There's talk of the #s stabilizing, and the curve being flattened. Ok, good.

Then there's talk of if this trend continues, we can start opening things back up again. But if we do that, isn't the curve going to arc, and wind us up right back to where we are right now?

I know this is really more a national thing, but....

Old 04-08-2020, 07:55 PM

163 posts, read 86,803 times
The social distancing and all that has to be maintained for a while. People should continue to wear masks, wash hands, and be cautious.

But the restrictions will have to begin to ease at some point. What we're doing now isn't living.

It will not be the flick of a switch on June 1st. Normal life will have to be phased in very gradually, but it will return.

Old 04-08-2020, 09:00 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
You are right that as it "fizzles out" we will loosen many things, perhaps more than we can realize right now, but if we do too much too soon it will all come back and we will see infections and deaths again. I could see controlled ways of reopening stores by June, maybe even sometime in May, but I don't think we are seeing Broadway shows back until at least the fall and if pro sports comes back this year, it won't be with a live audience.

If we risk doing that and people are reinfected, scared people will CHOOSE to quarantine until there's a vaccine, you won't need a law and it will make the economy even worse.
Broadway association said today June at earliest now

Old 04-08-2020, 09:05 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
When think mall going be open ? I think babershops, pawn shops can be open but no more than 7 inside, restaurants can open but no more than 10 customers till Mid June.
I'd bet malls open mid May, 33% occupancy max month 1 per store. Eventually rising to 50-70% or so, max.

My hunch is half of hotels, malls, restaurants, in most of USA never re-open btw. The budgets will not work, and in hotels case, the price spike Ct summer brings , like Black Friday to them, is mitigated harshly. (Example: In years past, I could get closed Milford Hilton Garden Inn at $65/night through "broker" at Christmas, but lowest in September was $200. The industry survives by riding the highs to absorb the lows. The highs are not coming back for several years, as sleeping where 200 have post covid, will not be viewed as vacation. Vacationers, not businessmen, spiked the fall prices in Ct.).

Restaurants also I suspect open by late May, with similar max capacity, and go up to maybe 70% in increments. Never 100% in 2020, at least. (In the tri-state only).

Last edited by BobNJ1960; 04-08-2020 at 09:16 PM..

Old 04-09-2020, 01:00 AM

9,757 posts, read 7,468,918 times
I'd be very surprised if the school kids step foot inside their schools this current school year. It's likely going to be Memorial Day or close to until the restrictions get lifted and in that case they would've been out doing e-leaning for the last 2 months, so at that point it's what's the bother putting them back in school only for a couple weeks?? I know with Norwalk (and maybe for a few other districts) they are actually finishing the school year EARLIER then they would have otherwise because they are knocking off April vacation because they don't want to give the students too much time off with E-learning.

Old 04-09-2020, 05:05 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Quick look at the death rate of increase.

I eliminated 3 data points which showed over 100% increase from days it went from 1 to 2 or 3 deaths just so the graph wasn't "stretched" vertically too much.

Anyway... The death rate for the entire state is the blue bar. Note it used to be over 20% a lot more often then the trend has been down past week but looks like a little bump up might be happening again. We'll see.

On March 29 & 30 only 2 Counties reported deaths from this virus but Hartford went from 2 to 3, hence the 50% increase that day. It was just beginning for them.

I used a Polynomial order of 3 trend line

On 1 hand I'm saying I cant believe all this happened in just 7-14 days... On the other hand I can't believe we're still talking about this virus when only 335 people died from it. I know it's such a short time period and the contagious aspect of it but what a life changer for something we'll look back at and probably say "really?"

Old 04-09-2020, 05:13 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
We passed Ebola. Will we pass Yellow Fever? Swine Flu had more deaths than this Corona. Hopefully stays that way!

Source: https://www.visualcapitalist.com/his...ics-deadliest/

Old 04-09-2020, 05:38 AM

81 posts, read 57,346 times
Re-opening is pretty simple. Start with a small % and gradually increase depending on where state/country is with the virus. I personally think 200 gatherings will be MAX through summer and even that will be highly questionable but once they open restaurants and bars that’s part of the chance you take. With that said.... the 200+ thing has been happening in BJs, Cosco, Supermarkets, etc the last month anyways so no different for let’s say a wedding venue.

Large events like over 250+ will be tricky and have no idea when that will be safe. Not even sure it will be safe in the fall.

Old 04-09-2020, 07:30 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,184,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muxim View Post
Re-opening is pretty simple. Start with a small % and gradually increase depending on where state/country is with the virus. I personally think 200 gatherings will be MAX through summer and even that will be highly questionable but once they open restaurants and bars that’s part of the chance you take. With that said.... the 200+ thing has been happening in BJs, Cosco, Supermarkets, etc the last month anyways so no different for let’s say a wedding venue.

Large events like over 250+ will be tricky and have no idea when that will be safe. Not even sure it will be safe in the fall.
The virus doesn't discriminate between gatherings based on size.
Yes in big box stores I get it......but restaurants seating 200 or weddings..... I'll send my best wishes and a nice present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut