Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 07:43 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
The virus doesn't discriminate between gatherings based on size.
Yes in big box stores I get it......but restaurants seating 200 or weddings..... I'll send my best wishes and a nice present.
Exactly - 200 people in a 150K sq ft box store is one thing. 200 people in a 4K sq ft reception hall with 10 to a table, food, drink, and dancing? I don't think so. Exactly, here's a nice gift and see you soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 08:33 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Good news on the COVID front

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...ainst-covid-19

Old 04-09-2020, 08:46 AM

230 posts, read 114,993 times
The Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin says Hartford won't peak until mid to late May. So I don't see CT opening back up again until June-July at best. Most people don't want to die of this and will hopefully be cautious still.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:56 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneMeyer View Post
The Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin says Hartford won't peak until mid to late May. So I don't see CT opening back up again until June-July at best. Most people don't want to die of this and will hopefully be cautious still.
That doesn't make any sense, what data is he concluding that from? The state started its lockdown the same time as NY. We should be peaking with deaths this week, and drop down from there.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:51 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That doesn't make any sense, what data is he concluding that from? The state started its lockdown the same time as NY. We should be peaking with deaths this week, and drop down from there.
This is my thought too but Lamont is saying the same thing. Who is right? Hopefully we are and they are being overly cautious to keep people from stopping isolation too soon. Jay

Old 04-09-2020, 09:54 AM

21,751 posts, read 28,077,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This is my thought too but Lamont is saying the same thing. Who is right? Hopefully we are and they are being overly cautious to keep people from stopping isolation too soon. Jay
Yeah, there's a lot of that. Information control to keep people behaving. At some point you wind up losing trust in the message.

Old 04-09-2020, 09:58 AM

21,619 posts, read 31,202,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneMeyer View Post
I don’t see evidence of that. Curious to see his source.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:28 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I'd be very surprised if the school kids step foot inside their schools this current school year. It's likely going to be Memorial Day or close to until the restrictions get lifted and in that case they would've been out doing e-leaning for the last 2 months, so at that point it's what's the bother putting them back in school only for a couple weeks?? I know with Norwalk (and maybe for a few other districts) they are actually finishing the school year EARLIER then they would have otherwise because they are knocking off April vacation because they don't want to give the students too much time off with E-learning.

Yes, Norwalk is finishing June 5 because of that, all of April vacation except tomorrow was knocked off. Cuomo did the same thing statewide with NY public schools using the same logic, I think he gave them the option of closing today and tomorrow. In Norwalk, even with distance learning, they found a lot of kids were going to parks playing basketball, soccer, etc. after "school" and they feared if there was a week with no school this would skyrocket!

Pennsylvania just declared schools closed the rest of this school year. We were told at my job that Lamont is going to make a decision by Monday on school in CT, I think he will follow. Cuomo might wait closer to the current April 29 date to declare, but I can't see him not doing that either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
On 1 hand I'm saying I cant believe all this happened in just 7-14 days... On the other hand I can't believe we're still talking about this virus when only 335 people died from it. I know it's such a short time period and the contagious aspect of it but what a life changer for something we'll look back at and probably say "really?"
I think what makes this (somewhat) different is the fact that some people have it and never know but can still transmit and others die pretty quickly from it (in some cases not who one "expects", i.e a random young, healthy person). Clearly we are not talking bubonic plague or even remotely close here, but I think that's part of what makes it so scary and why all the cautions vs. the flu. If we can figure out medications that completely work for it well before a vaccine and why it is so seemingly random in how one's body reacts to it, then we can get out of all this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Broadway association said today June at earliest now
By declaring June they have to refund all tickets through June. So they have to err on the side of maximum optimism so they are not refunding tickets and then it turns out we overestimated how long this will go and they refunded sales that could've happened. Given that it is not a store where people can be all spread out either it will be at least the fall if not early next year, or in the summer it will be some limited situation where ticket sales are limited and people have to be spread out every other row 2 to 3 seats apart. I won't say June is impossible but I'd put the odds low like maybe 10-20% and even then in a limited way like this.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 04-09-2020 at 10:39 AM..

Old 04-09-2020, 11:08 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,294,816 times
Need a laugh?

https://twitter.com/SouuuuWill/statu...14526759436288

Old 04-09-2020, 11:17 AM

468 posts, read 523,867 times
As long as there are cases in the population, just "reopening" will trigger a second wave of infection landing us right back where we are now. The only reason we don't have a lot more deaths right now is because of social distancing.

There is a right way to reopen. It involves wide-spread testing of some sort (even if a lot of it is simple temperature screens), tracing contacts of infected individuals, and quarantining those who are positive. This could have been the initial response to the virus, ala South Korea, but we in the US responded too late. The strategy can only be implemented when the number of cases is low enough.

Doing the above is hard, but not impossible. Unfortunately, as long as interstate travel is permitted, it has to be done nation wide, and I don't see any sign that the Feds are moving on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut