Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 06:58 PM

6,459 posts, read 4,860,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I want you guys to just take a ride and look for yourself. Take a ride to Stamford, Norwalk, Westport. Go down Long Ridge road, CT Avenue, or Post road. You tell me......... would you think there is a "At Home" in progress??? Nope.

I'm truly amazed at how many people are out, and they aren't just driving around. I saw a line at a car wash. Car wash? Is that essential? Lines at Home Depot, parking lot full at Walmart, shopping centers in Stamford busy, one bank had a long line, gas stations had people filling up...... I feel like this is a twilight zone or I am being suckered. I feel like I'm the only one who wants to stay home. The roads feel like a normal day (not the highways, local roads)

I'm at a point where I'm going to just wear a mask and gloves and just do our normal routines while staying 6 feet away from people. Not sure which is more annoying, the virus or the Stay At Home Rule.

If cases and deaths start dropping and we head towards the light at the end of the tunnel you have to agree that most people didn't "JUST" stay home. They still went out and shopped and things still got better..

I urge you to take a ride if you haven't. Not just to the supermarket.
Home Depot has lines because they aren't letting many people in at once. But I agree with you and I've been saying this for weeks. I have been walking on the side streets near me during the week, mid-morning. I can't believe how many cars are out and about at that time, and it's not a normal commute time. I am also seeing tons of people out walking, which I expected. I am now seeing more people with masks than without. A car wash, really?

It's actually getting difficult to avoid people. Today I was walking, and a young girl came out of a side street, walking a dog and playing with her phone. I crossed the street, but had planned on taking a side street up ahead. She had slowed down to play use her phone, so I sped up to get some distance between us and cross the street again. Just as I got to the side street, I heard a noise behind me and turned to see her running up the sidewalk, nearly upon me. I had to yell at her to stop and then I crossed the street again.

Before someone says "what do you expect from kids?", please remember a few weeks ago I commented on an ice cream truck in the city because I don't believe kids will be able to resist crowding around it, and one of the first responses was "kids know what 6' is, just tell them" Apparently this kid didn't get the message.

Cam, I haven't been to a store since March 21, and haven't driven anywhere since last Tuesday. It was mid-morning and the highway did seem reasonably empty at that time, but I have to say that Rt 2 through East Hartford/Glastonbury still seems busy at all times on the day. Many of my neighbors are still working. Those that aren't are purging their houses and putting stuff on the curbs, so there's extra traffic from that too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 07:37 PM

9,842 posts, read 7,587,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Good luck paying your bills if you aren’t retired, wealthy or can’t work from home when the economy re-opens and you decide to just stay home. If you think the government or businesses are going to keep paying you to stay home until there is a vaccine then you’ll probably be disappointed.
Meanwhile other Countries are doing so and Spain adopted UBI

Old 04-16-2020, 07:40 PM

208 posts, read 111,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneMeyer View Post
You can't pay your bills if your dead and most companies are not going to risk being like Smithfield. They are shut down now because they stupidly tried to stay open in a pandemic. You can't be open if all your employees are sick or dead. What part of that don't you get?
How do you plan to have the country survive in an extended lockdown? Subsidies from China?

Old 04-16-2020, 07:40 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,495,993 times
Quote:
They usually update it each day here. https://portal.ct.gov/Coronavirus

Click on Test Data pdf

Interesting perspective is 6,876 people under the age 50 have the virus and only 54 died under 50yrs old.

Meanwhile 3,211 people 70yrs + have the virus and 757 died 70yrs+
More interesting is the death rate of 1 for those aged 20-29 only and 10 for those 30-39. Seems like a minuscule death rate for most working aged CT residents.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:23 PM

1,678 posts, read 1,110,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Home Depot has lines because they aren't letting many people in at once. But I agree with you and I've been saying this for weeks. I have been walking on the side streets near me during the week, mid-morning. I can't believe how many cars are out and about at that time, and it's not a normal commute time. I am also seeing tons of people out walking, which I expected. I am now seeing more people with masks than without. A car wash, really?

It's actually getting difficult to avoid people. Today I was walking, and a young girl came out of a side street, walking a dog and playing with her phone. I crossed the street, but had planned on taking a side street up ahead. She had slowed down to play use her phone, so I sped up to get some distance between us and cross the street again. Just as I got to the side street, I heard a noise behind me and turned to see her running up the sidewalk, nearly upon me. I had to yell at her to stop and then I crossed the street again.

Before someone says "what do you expect from kids?", please remember a few weeks ago I commented on an ice cream truck in the city because I don't believe kids will be able to resist crowding around it, and one of the first responses was "kids know what 6' is, just tell them" Apparently this kid didn't get the message.

Cam, I haven't been to a store since March 21, and haven't driven anywhere since last Tuesday. It was mid-morning and the highway did seem reasonably empty at that time, but I have to say that Rt 2 through East Hartford/Glastonbury still seems busy at all times on the day. Many of my neighbors are still working. Those that aren't are purging their houses and putting stuff on the curbs, so there's extra traffic from that too.
Route 2 at least as you get into downtown Hartford has looked nowhere near as busy as normal to me. What would be rush hour looks more like what you would see at midnight.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:25 PM

1,241 posts, read 887,247 times
Smithfield stayed open because people need to eat. Do you seriously expect food producers and grocery stores to close? You obviously think that Covid is a death sentence and you clearly don't understand the damage an extended shut down would cause to the economy. The country has to open back up before a vaccine is developed. If not, far more people will die from other causes- suicide, other health issues that can't be treated, etc.- than will die from the virus. What part of that don't you get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneMeyer View Post
You can't pay your bills if your dead and most companies are not going to risk being like Smithfield. They are shut down now because they stupidly tried to stay open in a pandemic. You can't be open if all your employees are sick or dead. What part of that don't you get?

Old 04-16-2020, 08:28 PM

1,241 posts, read 887,247 times
No country is going to stay on lock down until a vaccine is found- assuming the widely bandied 12 plus month time frame for development. If they do, please circle back and I will gladly admit I was wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Meanwhile other Countries are doing so and Spain adopted UBI

Old 04-16-2020, 08:28 PM

6,459 posts, read 4,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
Route 2 at least as you get into downtown Hartford has looked nowhere near as busy as normal to me. What would be rush hour looks more like what you would see at midnight.
I've heard that about rush hour. I'm talking about during the day though.

Old 04-16-2020, 08:42 PM

11,245 posts, read 18,730,634 times
Quote:
Breaking News

"Gilead Sciences shares surged by more than 15% in after-hours trading Thursday after an industry publication said Covid-19 patients being treated with the company’s antiviral drug Remdesivir appear to have “rapid recoveries in fever and respiratory symptoms.”

STAT News said a doctor in Chicago overseeing a closely watched clinical trial on the drug found that most of its patients had been discharged in less than a week. "

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/gile...y-results.html

"“If it is effective in keeping someone from contracting the virus or, more likely, simply reduces its severity, that would be a game changer and [would] allow the economy to restart both more quickly and more fully,” said Jim Paulsen, chief investment strategist at The Leuthold Group, about the Remdesivir trial report"

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/16/sp-5...ronavirus.html

This to me seems more promising than the malaria drug which seems to not always work and has more side effects.

I think if we get * something * earlier than planned, possibly combined with maybe finding out a lot more people have been exposed than we thought that we may get out of this a lot earlier than the doomsayers are saying.....no I don't think we'll be out in May, I'm not that naive but I find it hard to believe it will be just like this at the end of the summer. But what do I know, time will tell......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
No country is going to stay on lock down until a vaccine is found- assuming the widely bandied 12 plus month time frame for development. If they do, please circle back and I will gladly admit I was wrong.
I agree but we also have to be careful and look at the big picture and not just do it now out of frustration. If we suddenly opened air travel, amusement parks, etc. and people start getting sick due to being at them in large crowds or if people start getting sick because they are at their jobs then everyone will be scared to go places, to shop, to even go to work and we will have a much bigger societal and mental health problem than we have now. And that won't be something where we basically turned off a light switch and can turn it back on anymore.

We have only one shot to get this right so let's take a breath and do it carefully.....

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 04-16-2020 at 08:54 PM..

Old 04-16-2020, 09:14 PM

33,755 posts, read 16,757,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

I agree but we also have to be careful and look at the big picture and not just do it now out of frustration. If we suddenly opened air travel, amusement parks, etc. and people start getting sick due to being at them in large crowds or if people start getting sick because they are at their jobs then everyone will be scared to go places, to shop, to even go to work and we will have a much bigger societal and mental health problem than we have now. And that won't be something where we basically turned off a light switch and can turn it back on anymore.

We have only one shot to get this right so let's take a breath and do it carefully.....
I've heard , informally but via a solid source, many venues here with capacity will start no higher than 50% allowed, no matter when each is allowed to open.

I doubt very much we will see full planes in 2020 at any time. I doubt we'll see amusement parks crowded as well in 2020 at any time. I doubt we'll see full hotels, as who will trust sleeping where 200 others have, post covid?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut