Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2020, 06:15 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Amen.

We in the tri-state happen to be the epicenter, but we need to remind ourselves that means much of the nation is experiencing far milder cases per capita.
Exactly. The DC area is largely unscathed. The only other hard hit areas are probably Boston, Seattle, Detroit and Miami metros. This lockdown needs to be tailored to those areas. Even eastern CT should be largely open for business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 06:24 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Exactly. The DC area is largely unscathed. The only other hard hit areas are probably Boston, Seattle, Detroit and Miami metros. This lockdown needs to be tailored to those areas. Even eastern CT should be largely open for business.
Don’t forget New Orleans

Old 04-22-2020, 06:50 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
Do you seriously think, with the levels of unemployment being what they are in the US right now, that millions of people haven’t lost their health insurance? Some may be able to afford COBRA, some may go onto a family members plan, some government insurance but many, many people will be uninsured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforachangeSWCT View Post
Don't be dramatic. The stimulus package passed with unemployment benefits including an extra $600 per week, which I think is generous. And I am certain very few have lost their health coverage since late February. This is a time to exercise extreme caution, to be prudent, to be frugal, and to help our family and extended family (if we have them) if they are in need.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:01 PM

62 posts, read 33,271 times
People can always travel. And stupidly, people will travel. And all it takes is a few cases, and those few cases become a few hundred, which in turn become a few thousand or more. No, eastern CT should not be open for business; that is not only foolish but dangerous. And no, the United States is not ready to open for business at the present time. If you believe so, perhaps you should visit an ICU, or at the very least, get the opinion of a good physician who has treated virus patients. Learn some patience, think of others less fortunate than yourselves (especially those who are sick with this wicked plaque), and set the greed aside for awhile.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Do you seriously think, with the levels of unemployment being what they are in the US right now, that millions of people haven’t lost their health insurance? Some may be able to afford COBRA, some may go onto a family members plan, some government insurance but many, many people will be uninsured.
If so, this is precisely why we must have:

"the right to adequate medical care, and the opportunity to achieve and to enjoy good health"
"the right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment"

Old 04-22-2020, 07:08 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I can't rep you again but I agree 100%. I listen to a radio station in the UK and those people are not screaming about having to stay inside. They don't like staying home but they're not panicking because they lost their health insurance. Actually, they're going outside once a week, clapping their hands and ringing bells to show their gratitude to their National Health System.

Here, too much depends upon your job and so much is work-work-work and money-money-money. If only we could learn a lesson from this tragic disease and not tie health insurance to employment. Also, be a bit more generous to the needy--because anyone can become needy.

Despite some of the rhetoric going on, I am hoping that is one thing that comes out of this crisis. A lot depends on where we are in November and where it goes from there....

Old 04-22-2020, 07:13 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times
Quote:
Don't be dramatic. The stimulus package passed with unemployment benefits including an extra $600 per week, which I think is generous. And I am certain very few have lost their health coverage since late February. This is a time to exercise extreme caution, to be prudent, to be frugal, and to help our family and extended family (if we have them) if they are in need.
Shades of grey. We're not going back to normal tomorrow. We're discussing options. You know who pays unemployment benefits. Business owners. Guess what it's broke by now. When Obama increased it to 2 years while in office....who paid? Business owners again. The SBA benefits we are getting are a joke. All it does is help me pay you and that's about it. Most who applied got zip.

So if we don't reopen soon more than we are today......there will be nothing left. If I make no money, I can't pay you, my landlord, utilities, taxes, your UI Bennie's etc....guess what.....there's not got be anyone crazy enough to replace me after seeing how badly this goes down.

So life isn't risk free. Not for me in business, not for people who don't take care of their health etc....
We all know people at higher risk. We must challenge ourselves to find a balance.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:15 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Correct.

The economic consequences of this may end up more deadly than the virus itself.

FFC & NHC are not ready to open, but I do think Eastern Ct may well be.

We need our economy starting to reopen right after May 20.

1 in 5.5 Ct residents lost jobs the last 4 weeks (332k last I saw in Ct Post). A significant portion of businesses closing, not just in Ct but nationally, will not end up reopening.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Shades of grey. We're not going back to normal tomorrow. We're discussing options. You know who pays unemployment benefits. Business owners. Guess what it's broke by now. When Obama increased it to 2 years while in office....who paid? Business owners again. The SBA benefits we are getting are a joke. All it does is help me pay you and that's about it. Most who applied got zip.

So if we don't reopen soon more than we are today......there will be nothing left. If I make no money, I can't pay you, my landlord, utilities, taxes, your UI Bennie's etc....guess what.....there's not got be anyone crazy enough to replace me after seeing how badly this goes down.

So life isn't risk free. Not for me in business, not for people who don't take care of their health etc....
We all know people at higher risk. We must challenge ourselves to find a balance.
There you go blaming the victim, blaming the sick for being sick, rather than the virus itself. That's particularly cruel, by the way, and scientifically false. And don't give us all your bellyaching. We're all struggling to some degree at the present time; I've have to spend a fair amount of savings to live, as I'm sure millions of others have, but that's why one has savings in the first place.

Old 04-22-2020, 07:48 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,266 times
Quote:
There you go blaming the victim, blaming the sick for being sick, rather than the virus itself. That's particularly cruel, by the way, and scientifically false. And don't give us all your bellyaching. We're all struggling to some degree at the present time; I've have to spend a fair amount of savings to live, as I'm sure millions of others have, but that's why one has savings in the first place.
My point isn't to blame. It's how do we move forward effectively.
Nothing is perfect. Lots of people will become sick randomly....
Most will be ok, some will not. But we can't maintain this indefinitely without much more serious financial trouble for all. Of which I think some don't appreciate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut