Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2020, 09:08 AM

4,387 posts, read 3,265,858 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this was posted already. Yale is working on a vaccine.
https://news.yale.edu/2020/04/29/yal...-yale-platform
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2020, 09:10 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,160,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
No, shes a Dr,cardiologist, but she sees a lot of covid patients. Most of the info she gives me is from her ER, Infectious Disease and ICU Dr friends. I ask a ton of questions.

She said they had good results with hydroxychloroquibe....but.....they still dont have concrete evidence. Seems to help sicker people but they still dont know if they were already on the mend or if the medicine is helping.
To give you an example, not to make this long......but I am in the auto industry and someone who owns a body shop is a customer of mine since 1987. He was around 50 something then. I have not heard from him lately and his son ,who runs the shop mainly, called to place an order and I asked about his Dad. Turns out he got the virus, at 80 something, in White Plains Hospital and was looking like he would die. His son said they gave him Hydro and within 4 days he came around and released. This was a few weeks ago that he recovered. He was out on his boat last weekend. Go figure......I guess it depends. His son said the meds saved his life. Did Hydro save him? I would like to think so. I am sure there must be more to that story but I am glad he lived. Great guy.
My sister said it depends on how the virus hits you and viral load and all that.
Hate to believe this but think because Trump is such a proponent of Hydroxychloroquine, the media has to dismiss it.
Many hospitals are still using it. Remdesivir is about a 1,000 times more expensive, hard to procure and is far from a wonder drug.

Now chloroquine is different, proven less effective and much more toxic. Have seen many in the media confuse the two which doesn't help.....but sometimes get the feeling they do know what they are talking about, but anything to keep Orange man bad is ok.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:12 AM

4,387 posts, read 3,265,858 times
Quote:
No, shes a Dr,cardiologist, but she sees a lot of covid patients. Most of the info she gives me is from her ER, Infectious Disease and ICU Dr friends. I ask a ton of questions.

She said they had good results with hydroxychloroquibe....but.....they still dont have concrete evidence. Seems to help sicker people but they still dont know if they were already on the mend or if the medicine is helping.
I have a cousin in Milford (54 yrs old) that got Covid-19. His breathing was so bad he felt weak just going to the bathroom. He was admitted to Yale NH Hospital and they gave him Hydroxychloroquine and he swears that is what made him better. He did not need to be on a ventilator.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:13 AM

1,241 posts, read 886,397 times
Great to get first hand reports that aren’t filtered through the media’s lens. As others have said, thanks for sharing these updates.

Quote:

To give you an example, not to make this long......but I am in the auto industry and someone who owns a body shop is a customer of mine since 1987. He was around 50 something then. I have not heard from him lately and his son ,who runs the shop mainly, called to place an order and I asked about his Dad. Turns out he got the virus, at 80 something, in White Plains Hospital and was looking like he would die. His son said they gave him Hydro and within 4 days he came around and released. This was a few weeks ago that he recovered. He was out on his boat last weekend. Go figure......I guess it depends. His son said the meds saved his life. Did Hydro save him? I would like to think so. I am sure there must be more to that story but I am glad he lived. Great guy.
My sister said it depends on how the virus hits you and viral load and all that.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:27 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,182,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I have a cousin in Milford (54 yrs old) that got Covid-19. His breathing was so bad he felt weak just going to the bathroom. He was admitted to Yale NH Hospital and they gave him Hydroxychloroquine and he swears that is what made him better. He did not need to be on a ventilator.
Glad he does not need a vent. I am 52 and that vent is scaring me the most. My sister says it is like 75-80% death rate once you go on one.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBigGreen View Post
Great to get first hand reports that aren’t filtered through the media’s lens. As others have said, thanks for sharing these updates.
You are welcome.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Hate to believe this but think because Trump is such a proponent of Hydroxychloroquine, the media has to dismiss it.
Many hospitals are still using it. Remdesivir is about a 1,000 times more expensive, hard to procure and is far from a wonder drug.

Now chloroquine is different, proven less effective and much more toxic. Have seen many in the media confuse the two which doesn't help.....but sometimes get the feeling they do know what they are talking about, but anything to keep Orange man bad is ok.
Hard to know what to believe anymore. Those of us with social media pages I am sure see the mix of reports coming from Trump supporters and non trump supporters. I am just going through my day trying not to get infected and giving it to my wife. I have had too many close calls already at work.
I try to push all the politics aside and just hope things get better soon.

Last edited by gmdealerguy; 05-16-2020 at 10:46 AM..

Old 05-16-2020, 10:48 AM

11,243 posts, read 18,721,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post

That's exactly what the problem is, it became politicized. It seems to be an extremely risky drug in terms of deadly side effects, but if that was the only criteria to rule it out we'd almost never use chemo on cancer patients. My big issue is (probably desperately hoping it was an instant way out of his crisis) Trump acted like a "used car salesman" about it and his followers and Fox News followed in a similar manner, resulting in a lot of the other media overly condemning it. You are correct on Remdesivir in my view and I see the two as being equal in terms of whether to use for treatment.

Quote:
Hard to know what to believe anymore. Those of us with social media pages I am sure see the mix of reports coming from Trump supporters and non trump supporters. I am just going through my day trying not to get infected and giving it to my wife. I have had too many close calls already at work.
I try to push all the politics aside and just hope things get better soon.
Exactly....

Seeing stories like this today (from a generally anti-Trump source by the way) are why I'm still 50/50 on the theory it was a lab mishap in China (I very much doubt it was released as an intentional bioweapon though). I am usually one of the least conspiracy theory/coverup guys you'll ever meet, but I think like UFO's I wonder if they would keep it a secret if it were true to prevent societal chaos. Lying would have good intentions, I think if it came out that even a lab accident (and certainly intentional but even an accident) caused all this, we would literally see the start of World War III

https://www.newsweek.com/china-ackno...?utm=newsbreak

Old 05-16-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
That's exactly what the problem is, it became politicized. It seems to be an extremely risky drug in terms of deadly side effects, but if that was the only criteria to rule it out we'd almost never use chemo on cancer patients. My big issue is (probably desperately hoping it was an instant way out of his crisis) Trump acted like a "used car salesman" about it and his followers and Fox News followed in a similar manner, resulting in a lot of the other media overly condemning it. You are correct on Remdesivir in my view and I see the two as being equal in terms of whether to use for treatment.

Exactly....

Seeing stories like this today (from a generally anti-Trump source by the way) are why I'm still 50/50 on the theory it was a lab mishap in China (I very much doubt it was released as an intentional bioweapon though). I am usually one of the least conspiracy theory/coverup guys you'll ever meet, but I think like UFO's I wonder if they would keep it a secret if it were true to prevent societal chaos. Lying would have good intentions, I think if it came out that even a lab accident (and certainly intentional but even an accident) caused all this, we would literally see the start of World War III

https://www.newsweek.com/china-ackno...?utm=newsbreak
Way back when I was a teenager in the mid 80's, the nuclear war threat was making everyone on edge. Those of age will remember this. I read the Nostradamus prophecies, some not all, and was intrigued. I read a lot about potential WWIII scenarios and one of thing I read mentioned that WWIII would be started by China using bio-weapons to start the war. They were just words in an end of the world book that went nowhere. I didn't believe it then and don't now. But anything is possible. I would lean more to that is was being researched in a lab and got out accidentally rather than intentional.
Some of my friend still think this is not real or an agenda by Dems to keep Trump from being re-elected. It's crazy what is being shared on the web. All these videos of Dr's all claiming to have the answers. At this point, as mentioned, give us a vaccine or treatment and fix this and then sort out where or how it started later. Save lives first.

Also, again if you want factual unbiased info on COVID updates, listen to channel 110 and 121 on Sirius XM. Its real Dr's on the front lines there that tell it like it is from NYU Langone Hospital in NYC. They dont spin to their liking or sugarcoat anything.

Last edited by gmdealerguy; 05-16-2020 at 11:31 AM..

Old 05-16-2020, 11:25 AM

11,243 posts, read 18,721,731 times
Quote:
Way back when I was a teenager in the mid 80's, the nuclear war threat was making everyone on edge. Those of age will remember this. I read the Nostradamus prophecies, some not all, and was intrigued. I read a lot about potential WWIII scenarios and one of thing I read mentioned that WWIII would be started by China using bio-weapons to start the war. They were just words in an end of the world book that went nowhere. I didn't believe it then and don't now. But anything is possible. I would lean more to that is was being researched in a lab and got out accidentally rather than intentional.
Some of my friend still think this is not real or an agenda by Dems to keep Trump from being re-elected. It's crazy what is being shared on the web. All these videos of Dr's all claiming to have the answers. At this point, as mentioned, give us a vaccine or treatment and fix this and then sort out where or how it started later. Save lives first.

Also, again if you want factual unbiased info on COVID updates, listen to channel 110 and 121 on Sirius XM. Its real Dr's on the front lines their that tell it like it is from NYU Langone Hospital in NYC. They dont spin to their liking or sugarcoat anything.

Wow, that was very much me too, especially the part about Nostradamus (I'm 52).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut