Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 10:55 AM

21,752 posts, read 28,086,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think this is an excellent example of why people should wear masks. I just wish more people understood this. Thanks, ?Jay
All the more frustrating that the initial guidance was they don’t help, which was a straight up lie to control PPE. Enough was known about masks helping with SARS and Asian countries were using masks to control spread.

The irony being that if people wore just homemade masks a month earlier, and they were required in long term care, we probably would’ve saved many lives and would not have needed as much PPE on the medical side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 11:15 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
All the more frustrating that the initial guidance was they don’t help, which was a straight up lie to control PPE. Enough was known about masks helping with SARS and Asian countries were using masks to control spread.

The irony being that if people wore just homemade masks a month earlier, and they were required in long term care, we probably would’ve saved many lives and would not have needed as much PPE on the medical side.
It was insulting to the public to be told not to wear masks when some people knew better and all people could observe people in other countries wearing them. The public is smart enough to know that all those people in Japan wearing masks must be doing it for a good reason. They undermined their credibility by lying to the public.

Now they've changed their tune and a lot of people are either skeptical or don't believe it at all. We even get the "idiots" storming public buildings with guns and we get them protesting in our own cities. Maybe there would have been a few people who didn't want to wear masks because they think they look silly, but if we had been told the truth and given some degree of respect from the beginning, we probably wouldn't be having such an issue with the masks. People even started sewing masks back when we were being told to not wear them. Americans haven't lost all of our ingenuity--the leaders should have given the American people some credit and told us the truth.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It was insulting to the public to be told not to wear masks when some people knew better and all people could observe people in other countries wearing them. The public is smart enough to know that all those people in Japan wearing masks must be doing it for a good reason. They undermined their credibility by lying to the public.

Now they've changed their tune and a lot of people are either skeptical or don't believe it at all. We even get the "idiots" storming public buildings with guns and we get them protesting in our own cities. Maybe there would have been a few people who didn't want to wear masks because they think they look silly, but if we had been told the truth and given some degree of respect from the beginning, we probably wouldn't be having such an issue with the masks. People even started sewing masks back when we were being told to not wear them. Americans haven't lost all of our ingenuity--the leaders should have given the American people some credit and told us the truth.
Exactly. Now when there’s an important message like, protect the sick and elderly, more will ignore it.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:55 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Bit worse than flu, yes, but a pretty crazy overreaction. We should focus on isolating the vulnerable. We’ve totally failed our nursing homes.
You’ve written that we have totally failed our nursing homes several times. My mother is in the memory care building of a CCRC. They pulled the plug on visitors a week into March and had the staff in masks and gloves with daily screening of all the staff as they came in the door for their shift. The memory care building managed to avoid it but it got into the long term care part in the main building and killed some people. They did everything right and it still got in. With asymptomatic staff, it’s dumb luck if it doesn’t get into the facility no matter how thorough you are. You can’t do daily COVID-19 testing on the staff and even if you did, there are so many false negatives that you still won’t always detect it.

Sure, there have been some total disasters but most nursing homes tried to do the right thing but most of the outbreaks were defeated by the demographics of their staff.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:20 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You’ve written that we have totally failed our nursing homes several times. My mother is in the memory care building of a CCRC. They pulled the plug on visitors a week into March and had the staff in masks and gloves with daily screening of all the staff as they came in the door for their shift. The memory care building managed to avoid it but it got into the long term care part in the main building and killed some people. They did everything right and it still got in. With asymptomatic staff, it’s dumb luck if it doesn’t get into the facility no matter how thorough you are. You can’t do daily COVID-19 testing on the staff and even if you did, there are so many false negatives that you still won’t always detect it.

Sure, there have been some total disasters but most nursing homes tried to do the right thing but most of the outbreaks were defeated by the demographics of their staff.

True but I think they are talking more things like making elderly COVID patients who got it outside of the nursing home be put back into one while still contagious, one of the few (perhaps only) criticism I have of Cuomo during all this.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:22 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It was insulting to the public to be told not to wear masks when some people knew better and all people could observe people in other countries wearing them. The public is smart enough to know that all those people in Japan wearing masks must be doing it for a good reason.
Since February I was wondering the same thing. Looking back, a lot of lives could have been saved for sure.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:

I keep saying it, because it’s true. We have failed them.

That building might be an exception. Is the one you’re talking about well funded, private?

I have a relative that is an RN with colleagues in CT nursing homes.

I can tell you that they all weren’t requiring masks in March. Visitors were locked down, but staff were only temp checked. One of these workers effectively killed her private patient’s husband, working without a mask, just like they did at the long term care facility. They were the only contact with this man, aside from her, and she used a mask and tested negative.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:48 PM

1,241 posts, read 902,829 times
The fact that your mother's nursing home has been diligent does not mean we haven't failed the seniors in our nursing homes. Nursing homes are poorly run in many places absent a pandemic but Covid has highlighted just how poorly seniors can be looked after in nursing facilities. It is often not just the nursing home's failure but government and society's failure.

https://www.propublica.org/article/n...rus-to-explode

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/24/us/nu...nvs/index.html

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/12/85436...ng-home-system

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-homes/610855/

Quote:

Old 05-28-2020, 02:34 PM

830 posts, read 1,093,502 times
Interesting article - looks like the "Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk" area was a destination for many fleeing New Yorkers, as were (to a lesser degree) the Torrington, Hartford, and "New Haven-Milford" areas.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...i6pbqUcEsip7QE

Old 05-28-2020, 02:46 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,206,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I think this is an excellent example of why people should wear masks. I just wish more people understood this. Thanks, ?Jay
I will add to avoid any confusion as to how the person got infected if they were wearing a mask.......Got it from home from spouse......who got it from their job at another car dealer(ironically where my cousin works). So this person probably wasn;t wearing a mask at home, I know I don't. Just in case anyone was wondering how this person was infected, it was not picked up at my job. Thankfully it did not spread here. It really is nerve wracking counting down the days because 14 days is a long time. I have already done the countdown 5 X already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut